MRCA P02 XX946 Revell 1/48

Colin W

Hi Chaps,

As some of you know I have just moved from Thailand back to the UK and have about half my stuff with me. This half includes clothes, most of the stash, paint, children etc . What I don't have is my modelling bench and tools which I kept in Thailand during Covid 19 lock down. While emptying some box's today I rediscovered my Revell 1/48 Tornado as in the picture below. This was posted in July last year when the GB was approved and we were discussing kits choices. The overly huge original box was ditched the when I got the kit so had put it into an old T-33 box and then forgot where it was. I was very happy to find it today. While I wont be able to actually start for a few weeks until my tools arrive I might be able to tinker a bit.

The plan is to build the first British Prototype in the red and white scheme not in wrap around as she is now at Cosford. This will complement my NA39 in the Buccaneer Group Build earlier in the year. If I can find enoght bombs I might go with the famous publicity shot of 8 x 1000lb bombs under the fuselage. This looked great but never appeared over Kuwait!

20190721_191652

20190721_192353

Planned changes should be limited to the tailerons and base of the fin. The Red and white scheme should be OK to paint and I will have to print the markings. The problem area will be those Tri-National Roundals. 

Colin W

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Well I have finlly made a start on the MRCA, and more importantly managed to get some pictures updated to Flickr and posted here. Not sure why the process is now 10x harder than it was 4 months ago but finally now all figured out.

Nose halves with cannon fitted. These will be blanked off as XX946 had no cannons of course. First of several changes.

50441348746_81032c285d_k.jpg

Im not following the instructions either, main rear fuselage completed and upper decking assembled

50441356096_027dae9972_k.jpg

Colin

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting into this now. After the move back home, new modelling room, IT issues with Flickr and BM all now behind I finally have some time to get modelling.

Following Nathan Robinsons build on You Tube I have built the cockpit, rear fuselage and upper fuselage as separate parts. This has certainly allowed me to close the gaps either side of the cockpit. The MRCA had a different shape on the contour for the upper fuselage intakes. I have added some 40' card with bevelled edges in fron of the splitter vents and this is being faired in with filler.

20201021_141025

The gaps either side of the cockpit are fine but the gaps have moved to the lower intakes. I think I fitted these too early so probablt my fault here.

Anyway all is not together and looking like a Tornado.

20201021_201241

Colin W

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I did this in 1/72 a few years ago and have still got the decal artwork as a CorelDraw file, but can export it as something else, if it's of use to you. This is just a jpg from that;

c9d644d4-7062-479f-b05a-63573efcbc6f.jpg

Steve

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Finally some reasonable progress to report. Certainly not as productive under this lockdown as the last one.

Main assembley together including a few details and the undercarriage. Most of the MRCA Mods now done inc the reshaped tail fairing, tailerons and fin tip

If we get a dry spell I'll try and get some paint on soon.

@BritJet Steve has done a great job on the decals so that will make finishing a lot easier.

20201109_213225[1]

Underside mods include the 2 cable ducts and deleted hard points. Vortex generators also need to go before I can paint.

20201109_213213[1]

Colin

• Like 7

Made some more progress on the MRCA. Ive added a base coat of Halfords primer and after a light sand, 2 coats of Mr Colour 316 laquer. Due to issues with airbrushing I have progressed the construction as far as possible inc adding the under carriage and getting it all painted white.

20201110_210735

Masking and red next!

Colin

• Like 5

11 hours ago, BritJet said:

you'll soon have this one finished.

Quite a bit of masking to do yet. Me thinks this was not the best scheme to do the dropped flaps!

Colion

• Like 1

While the paint-job will be complicated even more by the dropped flaps the end result will be a stunning model with a huge visual impact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to help by sorting out the markings for you and you have to go and complicate it again by dropping the flaps :wink: 

At least when you've got it masked there's only the one colour, apart from some small areas, to apply. You'll soon have it nearing the end.

Steve

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2020 at 6:53 PM, BritJet said:

I try to help by sorting out the markings for you and you have to go and complicate it again by dropping the flaps :wink: 

Yes with hind sight dropping the flaps was probably not a great idea!

Spent most of the weekend masking her up

20201122_100058

Followed by 20 mins painting

20201123_092431

A little bit of bleed in a couple of places but overall came out well. Gloss coat and decals soon and then I might make my own deadline!

Colin

• Like 7

white and red are simply the worst paint colors to mask I can imagine! not sire why, but I know of no red color that does not leak/ creep/ try to be an annoyance on white......  :D

is this Tamiya tape?

great job!

• Like 2

Looking great!

When I did my Prototype scheme (the anniversary one using Syhart decals) I used Halfords aerosols, worked ok.

resized_00553a6d-27b1-4f4d-a513-8e49613e

• Like 5

I decided those flaps looked too easily knocked off so I put the decals on first. Thanks to @BritJet for the artwork here. I printed the decals twice. Once on clear film and then again on a white back ground for the lettering on the rear of the spine. Once settled and sealed in Future I attached the flaps.

20201128_195222

Lots of bits now to add; wheels, thrust reversers, lights, aerials, under carriage doors, canopy and finally the tail planes.

20201129_110917

The end is nigh!

Colin

• Like 7