Revell 1:72nd GR.1 RAFG late 80s -- FINISHED --

alhenderson

Evening All,

Was debating whether or not to enter this GB as wasn't convinced I'd complete in time, I'm a leisurely modeller, especially at the beginning when its all the fiddly bits I'm not that good at!  However, with a deadline into December, I ought to be OK.  I got a Revell GR.1 for Christmas a couple of years ago just after they'd gone out of service so this GB was rather timely.

I'm doing this pretty much OOB, although undecided on markings at this point.  Might stick to the 9 sqn in the kit or go after market for something else.  Also unsure about the weapons, but that decision can wait.  One question that has occurred to me is the presence of the refuelling probe.  I remember reading that the RAFG Tornados didn't do a lot of AAR, given that the baddies were on the doorstep.  Did that equate to the IFR not being fitted on the whole?  And if that was the case, did it change after Op Granby when their expected operations were a lot more widespread?

Obligatory box photo:

IMG_20200907_184707

Lots of bits in here, probably the most complex kit I've built since restarting modelling a couple of years back.  A fairly meaty instruction booklet too!

And now the usual conundrum - how many pots of paints do I need to buy for the cockpit detailing?

IMG_20200907_194459

I reckon I need 4 or 5 for the cockpit and the exterior metallic bits.  Added to the complication is the varied paint brands stocked by my local model shops, struggling to find one place that has all the ones I want.  But an online order is going to incur (relatively) hefty postage costs 😞 Need to phone around tomorrow and see who's got what..

And that's it - stuck one of the seats together just to show some progress.  Just hope I haven't made painting it a pain now!

Al.

• Like 3

Good to have you aboadr Al.

My understanding is that all Tornado's had the IFR fitted but the RAF Germany boys didnt practice.

Paints are quite another topic as most modellers have quite a stock. Generally I spray laquer as a base in the cockpit, then use enamel and then aquious paints for the finer details. Just remember which is which and never mix any of the 3 types while wet.

Colin

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

Good to have you aboadr Al.

My understanding is that all Tornado's had the IFR fitted but the RAF Germany boys didnt practice.

Paints are quite another topic as most modellers have quite a stock. Generally I spray laquer as a base in the cockpit, then use enamel and then aquious paints for the finer details. Just remember which is which and never mix any of the 3 types while wet.

Colin

Interestingly, I have just had my copy of "In Cold War Skies" through the post.  One of the first pages I randomly flicked to had a picture of a pair of 9 sqn GR.1s in flight, and the IFR probe is not fitted.  The picture's not dated, unfortunately..

Al.

To answer my own question regarding IFR probes.  These were considered 'role equipment' and so fitted as required, there were never enough of them to equip the whole fleet.  Although I guess this changed later in the aircraft's life as the fleet reduced in size.  Information from a Tornado FB group.

Al.

I don't recall many pictures of Tornados without the refuelling probe, mainly only early ones. In the book ' Tornado over theTigris', by Michael Napper,  the Author comments about the Gulf War meaning all the Tornado  crews became air to Air refuelling qualified. "Previously this was the preserve of a very select few and only for special occasions ".

There's no mention about fitting probes.

Colin 

I attracted lots of comments from various engineers as to the joyous nature of swapping probes around Tornados in Germany, so it certainly seems to have happened. I appreciate it's Facebook and all that, but still...

Page 222 of "In Cold War Skies" by the very same Michael Napier has a 9 sqn jet with no probe fitted. Undated, though...

Al

Had a further perusal of some of my books last night and found a fair few pictures of GR.1s without probes. They included the 9 and XV 75th anniversary machines, which dates the pictures at 89 and 90 ish respectively. Also saw a number of normal jets from 16 and 20 sqns without them.  

So it seems RAFG Tornados without probes were reasonably common..

Al

1 minute ago, Jabba said:

I seem to remember when the first Germany Tornados went to the Gulf it was the first time that many an aircraft had been fitted with a probe, and the aircrew had to (re)qualify on air to air refuelling.

It certainly seems the RAFG crews weren't AAR qualified. Even to the extent that UK crews would ferry the aircraft to Goose Bay, Red Flag etc.

Al

32 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Another quick one, IIRC RAFG Buccs used to fly without their probes too, although I think that their basic range was a bit longer than the Tornado.

I didn't even know the bucc probes came off! Every day's a school day!

Al

Not much of an update, but I have made some progress.  Seats painted, quite happy with these, having a brand new brush to use has helped 😁

IMG_20200915_200107

Whilst looking around for other bits that might need painting along the way I stumbled on this abomination:

IMG_20200915_200019

I think it's the HUD but it's so badly formed it's hard to tell! Bit of very fiddly tidying up needed here.. 😔

Cockpit decals next...

Al

• Like 3

Making slow but steady progress on this, grabbing the odd 10 minutes there and there - before bed mainly!  Tonight I finished assembling the cockpit and closed up the forward fuselage.  I hope the cockpit decals are not an indication of what's to come when it comes to the final stages, though.  They were awful things, only copious amounts of Micro Sol ensured that they stayed on the instrument panels.  They curled up as soon as I slid them off the sheet.  Has anyone else had bad experiences with Revell decals?

IMG_20200922_194021

There is a decent amount of detail on those decals.  Although not convinced they're all the right way round...

IMG_20200922_194006

Little bit fiddly getting the two halves of the front fuselage to align and have the cockpit in the right place, but got there in the end.  That's the bit that I typically take ages about out of the way, now the fun can start 🙂

Al.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Progressing well. I think that I have mainly used the Revell decals for the fuel tanks plus weaponry and usually they have been alright.

Thanks.  I'll hold off from panic buying any replacement decals for now, then 👍

Al

From what I found out, revell decals tend to be a bit stiff when they need to conform to detailed instrument panels. Sometimes it's helpfull to cut the decal in segments which correspond with the part detail and panel 'elevation'. I took the paint the dials methode because I didn't want to do that struggle... I do have to say they aren't total rubbish and when applying them to gloss surfaces, they tend to behave ok!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 128fiddler said:

From what I found out, revell decals tend to be a bit stiff when they need to conform to detailed instrument panels. Sometimes it's helpfull to cut the decal in segments which correspond with the part detail and panel 'elevation'. I took the paint the dials methode because I didn't want to do that struggle... I do have to say they aren't total rubbish and when applying them to gloss surfaces, they tend to behave ok!

Thanks.  I had glossed the panels first, but as soon as I slid the decals off the backing paper they just curled up. Thankfully I had Micro Sol to hand, couple of coats of that and they stuck nicely.  Have varnished over them as well so they ain't going anywhere 🙂

Al.

• Like 2

Had a go at one of the wings before I went to bed last night.  The little cuffs that Revell use to go round the pylon pins to allow them to rotate are quite clever.  However, I was a bit hasty in gluing and clamping, it would appear:

IMG_20200924_074229

The pin from the outer pylon has pushed up against the top surface of the wing 😞 When I dry fitted I saw there was a gap in the leading edge around that pylon, but didn't put a lot of thought into it, just clamped it and went to bed.  Sure enough, I have a nice join on the leading edge, but the top of the wing isn't great.  Don't think there's much I can do about it without a huge amount of surgery, unfortunately.  At least I didn't do both wings at the same time, I can now learn from that mistake and shave off some of the top of the pylon on the other side..

Live and learn!

Al. 

1 minute ago, Andwil said:

Hopefully primer and paint will cover that blemish.

AW

Yes, hope so.  Its raised slightly, but not too much.  If you don't know its there then shouldn't be noticeable.  Given that no-one looks at my models but me, I don't need to worry about anyone coming in and caressing the wings 🤣

• Like 1

Should  be fine under paint. I never bother with the cuffs and all tha as I usually break the top of the pylon attachment pin either removing it from the sprue or later. I usually add them at a later date when the wings are fitted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jabba said:

Should  be fine under paint. I never bother with the cuffs and all tha as I usually break the top of the pylon attachment pin either removing it from the sprue or later. I usually add them at a later date when the wings are fitted.

I don't intend to do much moving of the wings, and did consider just gluing the pylons on later but figured I'd give it a go.  If/when I break them I'll glue em on 🙂

Al.

5 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Hi Al

Don’t forget to shorten the nose wheel oleo. For some reason Revell Tornado’s always have a wrong stance with the nose pointing upwards. There are a few builds on BM that show the change needed and its effect.

regards Toby

Oh, wasn't aware of that. I'll have a dig around and see what's involved - thanks! I did see a build of this where someone reprofiled the radome, but that looks a bit beyond me!

Al