37 Sqn Wellington 1c *** FINISHED *** 27/09/2020

1 hour ago, Greg Law said:

Davey

Just to defend my statement on the interior colours. I'm more than certain I'm right. I personally new a Radio operator who flew in the 37 sqn Wellingtons in 1942. 

The turret areas were black, the cockpit was black and the interior was canvas dope which tended to give it a red colour.

However, it is your build so I'm sure you will be happy with it. 

I wish I had display room to do my 1/48 scale one. 

By the way it is looking good closed up.

Hi Greg, I'm in no way saying you are even possibly wrong and welcome any insight into colour call-outs, especially if there is first hand experience. If I were modelling a Wellington from that period, and I may do my Airfix GR VIII in this GB, I would for sure paint the forward section blacked-out. I hope you let me use a bit of 'modellers licence' for this earlier airframe (1940-41) and keep the 'peacetime' colours as Airfix have called out.  Looking at the instructions for the GR VIII they have the same colours for the interior for the late 1942 Libyan based aircraft. The Revell Mk II I have says Black for the forward area, whereas the MPM  Mk III and IV I have Red with Aluminium bracing, Green for certain cockpit parts, Black for turret interiors. It's get's even more confusing when looking things up online as everything seems mostly based upon supposition.  

I'm happy to use my own judgement, with advice from people like yourself, and just continue to be interested in all this information I discover along the way.

Davey.

• Like 2

Davey, all is good.

Just for your interest. Reg said they flew a MkII from England to Egypt and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. It used to leave a trail of sparks. They mainly flew in MkIc planes. On the way to Egypt they stopped in Malta landing in the middle of a raid. After a day his pilot said for them to get out of there just as the air raid warning started. He said it was a close thing. Only two of the Wellingtons got to Egypt.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Davey, all is good.

Just for your interest. Reg said they flew a MkII from England to Egypt and couldn't get rid of it quick enough. It used to leave a trail of sparks. They mainly flew in MkIc planes. On the way to Egypt they stopped in Malta landing in the middle of a raid. After a day his pilot said for them to get out of there just as the air raid warning started. He said it was a close thing. Only two of the Wellingtons got to Egypt.

Sounds like the Merlins were shot, not something you want when flying at night!

As mentioned earlier I've been reading more on the exploits of our brave airmen and just can't imagine what it was like, particularly when part of a crew and not an individual fighter pilot. 

On the subject of the Wellington, it's interesting in the instructions they tell you to fit the blanking cover over the large area on the starboard side of the nose and I was wondering if the two choices on the Greece decal sheet, LF*A and B had that and sure enough I found a photo of A,B and E in formation with the side window blanked off.  Trying to discover if these panels, including the mid-side fuselage panels were actually faired in or should I leave a panel line?  The front one is a good fit but the middle fuselage ones aren't particularly good and have had to use a bit of filler anyway. Any ideas?

Davey.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:33 PM, Greg Law said:

By the way Davey, loved the He 111p in your Airfix set. I hope to do that one next year in 1/48 scale.

Cheers Greg, was another nice Airfix new tool build.

We're all ready for paint, all masked up and ready to go into the paint shop tomorrow! Going to do what I did on my Revell Halifax and do the wings separate then glue them on.

Davey.

DSC_0001

DSC_0002

• Like 6

Been through the paint shop.

Coat of Dark Earth, new bottle of my favoured Vallejo ModelAir, looks a bit light?  Maybe sun bleached?

DSC_0001

Then masked up with the help of an AML camo mask set.  I used a set on my Halifax build and they're not bad but being vinyl do lift in places, but they save a lot of time. This set though was for the later demarcation so had to add a bit of masking myself.

Here we are with the Dark Green done and mask's off. Some touching up to do in places but not bad.  The glazing masking is yet to be removed, after varnish and decaling.  Wings not glued on yet.

More soon, Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 6

On 9/14/2020 at 8:04 AM, DaveyGair said:

Aircraft colours, whether interior or exterior, isn't something I stress about although I do try to do a bit of research on the subject.  Unless anyone can definitely prove otherwise I always will use my own judgment and the model manufacturer suggestions, life's too short!

Davey.

Same. I try to get the outside somewhere close at least but I’m not getting too hung up on apple green vs. midnight blue for the interior of my Leo.

Looking great.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Same. I try to get the outside somewhere close at least but I’m not getting too hung up on apple green vs. midnight blue for the interior of my Leo.

Looking great.

Looking at your Leo build had me checking out all the Heller French Bomber kits you can get, must resist! Wouldn't have a clue for interior colour on those, would probably go with 'ask the audience' !

Davey

• Like 1

Quick update.  The airframe has been tidied up a bit and the decals applied.  They went on fine, the first I have used from this manufacturer. Very thin, I broke one roundel but that was my cack-handedness!   I have matted the airframe down a fair bit trying to bet the colours dulled a bit by all that Mediterranean sun!   Just got the prop's, wheels, exhausts and aerials and such to finish, not long now!

Davey.

DSC_0007 DSC_0008 DSC_0009

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Looking very nice Davey.

12 minutes ago, BristolBlue said:

Beautiful so neat.  Really enjoying this. 

Thank you both.  Looking at it I'm wishing I had toned down the Aluminium framework a bit with a wash or something, but still happy so far.

Davey. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SoftScience said:

That looks great! I'm almost inspired to pull mine off the shelf of soon :)

It's such a nice kit, It's nearly making me pull my GR Mk VIII boxing I have off the shelf. There is a 38 Sqn option based in Libya in the box.

By the way, the wings went on with no dramas and no filler and subsequent touching up.

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Looks fantastic. And progress is brisk next to my glacial build!

It's going together well, and we're retired and not childminding grandchildren, and in local lockdown so got loads of time!

Davey

• Like 3

• DaveyGair changed the title to 37 Sqn Wellington 1c *** FINISHED *** 27/09/2020

Well, we're across the line with this one.  It has been straightforward build, just some annoying things like mould lines to get rid of, not a big deal but I think the engineering should be better Airfix!

I've resisted doing a lot of weathering, just a bit of a dry-brush in places which doesn't show up in the photo's and overall I'm happy with the end result, as usual wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny but is a welcome addition to the start of my  30 odd Bomber Command models I plan to do.

Thanks for all the encouragement people, I'll see you in the other builds I have planned on here!

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0009 DSC_0005

• Like 12