Looks amazing. Really nice work. How do you attach the booms? Is there some kind of internal structure or do they just glue directly to the car body?

I’m also looking forward to see what you come up with for the engine.

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:07 PM, Photon said:

How do you attach the booms?

I refer the right honorary Gentleman to the picture below. 

iIZUdgj.jpg

There's the length of wood sticking out of the door, and to the left of that the hole in the door shut line has a length of steel rod through it.

The cutdown P-38 wing bits were then also superglued to the body. A bit of filler along the joint and Bob's yer Auntie.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 7:58 PM, Head in the clouds. said:

Great work Pete, must be so liberating not being shackled to an instruction sheet that is wrong half the time😀

Too right, Gary. It's great fun and, certainly in this case, who's to say it's wrong in any way whatsoever?

I got some more Milliput applied today, along with a few tweaks here and there. So more rubbing down tomorrow.

While I was waiting I had a look at my next project. (And a bit of work got done on it too). No thread for it yet.

It will be a modified 'proper' kreiger kit. Something else for me to look forward too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

you may even be able to reduce your usage of car filler

I hope so, It's cold enough in there during the Winter as it is, without having the window open for ventilation. That filler stinks!

I'm probably going to get away with just Milliput. But hey, who knows what will happen? Least of all me!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, @basket . Here's some more for you (and the other lot) to look at.

It's time for a Monday update!

I've been doing some detail work prior to primer, so there will be odd little bits you've not seen before

us0tlXJ.jpg

Here's the front end. I've added Meng boltheads to the rocket launcher head. Thats a towhook next to it.

On what was the trunklid I've added catches, and just behind them are a pair of vents which were from a metal earth kit.

To the right is a lifting bracket. Underneath, I've added a pair of 1/48th Mosquito wing tanks, one is visible here.

txGpPTv.jpg

And at the back end....A couple of pipes peep out of the back of the booms. More metal earth bits got stuck on too.

I've added a lifting bracket top centre and a conical sensor aft of that. 

The engine access panel has been outlined in thin plastic card and release catches added. 

vaXKcXH.jpg

Here I've made the access hatch look more like a hatch with a thin line of plastic card around the perimeter.

A catch to open it has been added, and I've used staples as handholds and a step. Access would be via the 'wing' trailing edge.

7UPH1N5.jpg

Underneath the third anti gravity unit got added and the green thing was the top of a tank turret. The grey 'turret' was from a ship model.

The black sensor sits between the Mosquito wing tanks which in this case would contain yet more sensors. 

With no visibility from the cockpit you'd need all the sensors you can get!

Jt9Vjfv.jpg

And suddenly, there was primer! 

Work for the rest of the week, there are still some thirsty people out there that need their beer, thank goodness.

Next weekend I only have Saturday at home as I'm off down to Leicester for a couple of days from Sunday, so no modelling :sad:

Thanks, as always, for looking and please keep the comments coming. 

Stay safe, Pete

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've used staples as handholds

What a cracking idea, wish I had known about that a few weeks ago, save me bending all that brass.....🤪

All those little 'things' really bring it alive and now with primer on we are getting close to the 'L' word 😃

Neat work Pete.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Next weekend I only have Saturday at home as I'm off down to Leicester for a couple of days from Sunday, so no modelling

That means there'll be Leicester see on this thread for a while...

• Sad 2

Thanks, Guys. I see that actual humour is locked down over the water....

I got home at a decent time this afternoon and found that the primer had dried nicely and revealed the faults as intended.

Nothing too serious, just some low areas and, a few badly scribed lines and the odd hole.

I set to with Humbrol filler and some PPP for the finer bits. So there'll be yet more rubbing down soon.

Ah well, such is the life of a scratchbuilder. Tsk.

Cheers, Pete

• Like 2

I know I said I wouldn't have time but I managed a couple of hours this morning, and got some paint on!

So feast your eyes on the results. I hope you like how it's turned out so far, I'm happy with it.

o336WWT.jpg

This is it with the IJN green still wet. The underside is Medium Sea Grey. Both are from Tamiya rattle cans.

yDtIOoI.jpg

ZWAmNmZ.jpg

Don't forget I still have the WW1 lozenge decals to apply over parts of this. So this is not the final finish.

I'll still be online tonight and then not until Tuesday. So any questions may not be answered until then.

Thanks for looking. Pete

• Like 8

Ooh! Shiny!

That really is starting to look rather good.

It gets me all inspired and stuff

Maybe when I finish up the Seaview project that I'm currently painting I'll drag out one of my Kreiger kits too.

Although I was thinking about an X-craft minisub...

In the meantime I am looking forward to your lozenging efforts!

I just thought of a question I've been meaning to ask.

Are you going to build one of those Cornish wassail mug kits for us next?

Edited by Tzulscha
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the comments, Chaps. I'm back at home now and looking forward to more.

On 10/25/2020 at 1:56 PM, Tzulscha said:

Are you going to build one of those Cornish wassail mug kits for us next?

I'd be a mug if I tried.

• Haha 1

Looking great mate.

Really impressed with this and have had fun spotting some of the bits I sent being used in all kinds of creative ways!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 6:49 PM, badger said:

have had fun spotting some of the bits I sent being used in all kinds of creative ways!

Keep watching, Ben, I'll be detailing the engine next.

There's another build in the wings which will (surprisingly) need lots of extra bits too!

I'd be lost without the bits boxes!

• Like 1

I can't imagine you being lost for bits.

I CAN however imagine how nervous your family might get if you run out of model parts as various alternative plastic shapes disappear into the shop..

"Ooh sorry dear, I need the yoghurt pots for a model, no worries though, I've put it all in a bowl in the fridge."

"Dad! Where did all my guitar strings go?"

"Hmm, well now there's only a half inch left on this deoderant stick anyway, I sure she won't mind if I use it as an engine control pod."

"Don't throw out that empty nan bread pack! Look at all the clear sheet stock there! And the insert looks like a..a.. HOVERSKIRT!!"

I know how this all works.

I collect cat whiskers.

Please don't tell anyone...

• Haha 1