Jagdtiger 331

M3talpig

Well..... where do I start!

Far to much going on here, quick catch up after work this eve and flip someones been busy!

Great work Steve particularly sorting the fit issues. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Well..... where do I start!

Far to much going on here, quick catch up after work this eve and flip someones been busy!

Great work Steve particularly sorting the fit issues. 

Atb

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl...was wondering where you had got too...hope you been ok bud.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Yeah busy old time mate even eating into BM time, really must prioritise....

But did managed an extra 10min at the bench!

Been far to quiet around here without ya :frantic:

• Thanks 1

I need to do some of the tie down handles around the top of the superstructure and side of the engine deck as there molded on and don't look very convincing.

Sat and thought of doing them one at a time using a pair of tweezers but with 20+ to do and them all being the same i thought the chance of getting them all even roughly the same size would be damn near impossible 

So i decided to use a tiny jig to see if that would do the job.....a piece of 0.8mm wide by 0.35 thick strip of copper and some 0.2mm wire shaped over the top with a pair of tweezers and then trimmed ...what an absolute pain and i haven't even tried glueing them on yet :facepalm:

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Vaastav said:

Your eyes are going for sure, and I am not too sure about the grey matter left. But what skill, what detail..

Thanks Vaastav...the eyes are already gone 🤓 and as for grey matter that leaked away a long time ago :drunk:

• Haha 1

Good luck with the tie downs mate, tried that one myself but left tails to go into drilled holes..... gave up after doing half a dozen with 20-30 still to go, life's to short!

With hindsight I think the holes where a mistake, probably better as you've done and glue them on, and more akin to the real thing. 

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Been far to quiet around here without ya :frantic:

Sometimes life gets in the way, pesky real world commitments!

(Careful what you wish for.....😉)

Do you never sleep? Just look at the frequency of your postings, talk about burning not just the midnight oil but that of the early morning too!

I was only kidding early on about getting the finger out, get some rest for God's sake! It is "only" a hobby.....

Is it just me having dysfunction emojis?  miss the little blighters...

Atb

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Do you never sleep? Just look at the frequency of your postings, talk about burning not just the midnight oil but that of the early morning too!

I was only kidding early on about getting the finger out, get some rest for God's sake! It is "only" a hobby.....

Not much to be fair......i don't work any more...well not as in going to work every morning i take commissions for models and scratch builds and i help an old lady with her old farm house and grounds during the summer...but i had a major bike crash when i was a teenager and properly messed my body up.....smashing almost everything in my right side to dust...worked for 20+ years after i healed but as i got older the problems i was left with just got worse and worse till about 8 years ago when i finally got overcome with the pain.

So now modelling is my life either for me or for the private collectors i build for.

And don't be sorry mate...i know you were joking the reason i love this site as much as i do is because of the banter with you, Lee, John and the others ......just adds another layer of fun to a hobby/ passion that's already great fun......i will be a sight supporter as soon as i have some free cash so i can show my appreciation to the mods and staff for their hard work

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Is it just me having dysfunction emojis?  miss the little blighters...

Haven't had any problems but the emoji window does take a while to populate..........have you restarted your machine sir🤓:D

• Like 2

Well that almost drove me up the wall.......tie down handles now fitted :banghead:....really like the black super glue easily visible and so it should be easier to clean up with the glue remover later....:coolio: 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

This stuff is why i don't normally do full build threads ......honestly this stuff is boring....but in these pics i have mounted the rear wall of the superstructure for some reason Takom saw fit to add no detail here at all .no interlocking armour ,no weld seams and no torch marks...strange decision but they must have had their reasons.

Easy enough to sort though with some putty and my weld seam tool and a little time....also blanked off the rear ammo hatch as this will be partially open.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

Shell strikes need a little more work on there interiors to simulate the ripple of the hot metal as the rounds hit but otherwise there done....i started by using the dremel to remove slightly more than was needed then after clean up i used thinned humbrol putty to brush into the strikes, left it to almost set then used the rounded end of a paint brush to push into the putty from the direction the round would have hit...... it's subtle but convincing.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

Wowzers!

Where do I start......not wanting to repeat myself froms Lee's post but suffice to say I've quite some catching up to do! Must give up either work or sleep and that's just to keep up with BM!

Tremendous work going on from the torch cuts to the shell strikes, last time I tried to replicate a shell strike it was with a heated nail....for the day i was relatively happy. I did say for the day, looking at it now....

Do you find the black super glue strong enough to withstand handling? I know if it where me I'd have knocked half of them off just handling the flippin thing. (Again, probably just me!).

8 hours ago, M3talpig said:

This stuff is why i don't normally do full build threads ......honestly this stuff is boring....

Sorry bud, with Lee on this one, I don't find it boring at all. However if you feel you want a dispensation and feel you need to skip a sequence or two.......

Tough! You ain't getting one, this is plastic mauling gold!

15 hours ago, Longbow said:

Maybe he needs new glasses to find them.... :D

And we'll have less of the cheek from you! I know exactly where the readers are, I'm wearing them now!

Still can't get the emojis to work, darn things start appearing and the whole screen freezes or crashes or whatever the nerdy techno phrase is!

17 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Not much to be fair......i don't work any more...well not as in going to work every morning i take commissions for models and scratch builds and i help an old lady with her old farm house and grounds during the summer...but i had a major bike crash when i was a teenager and properly messed my body up.....smashing almost everything in my right side to dust...worked for 20+ years after i healed but as i got older the problems i was left with just got worse and worse till about 8 years ago when i finally got overcome with the pain.

So now modelling is my life either for me or for the private collectors i build for.

And don't be sorry mate...i know you were joking the reason i love this site as much as i do is because of the banter with you, Lee, John and the others ......just adds another layer of fun to a hobby/ passion that's already great fun......i will be a sight supporter as soon as i have some free cash so i can show my appreciation to the mods and staff for their hard work

I would say sorry if I'd hit a sore spot (excuse the pun), however as you said not to and my default position is to try to find the humour or make a daft and sometimes cringeworthy remark, I won't!

Instead I'll say good luck and long may you continue doing what you do, if your handiwork is anything like your modelling that farmhouse must be awesome! 

You are so right with the comments about the site, BM has become my social life this year due to lockdown (Mrs JD is shielding, got it anyway, and is now very reticent about venturing out).  The banter, if sometimes slightly off topic, no names mentioned, is a real tonic a boon, long may it continue, big 👍to the mods for enabling it. 

So essentially you guys, you lucky lot, are now classed as mates!

As you all scarper will the last one out turn off the lights.....😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really enjoying watching this come together.

Your shell strikes are looking very convincing and will bring the model to life when painted.

Roger

Thanks so much Roger your comments as always are very welcome...thanks for looking in.:thanks:

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Do you find the black super glue strong enough to withstand handling? I know if it where me I'd have knocked half of them off just handling the flippin thing. (Again, probably just me!).

Hey Darryl

The super glue is made by Mig and so far so good....i haven't been overly careful while handling the JT and i haven't had one break of yet...it also gives a good long time to place parts as drying time is nice and relaxed....in summary it's really good stuff...and thanks for your kind words.

Sorry bud, with Lee on this one, I don't find it boring at all. However if you feel you want a dispensation and feel you need to skip a sequence or two.......

Tough! You ain't getting one, this is plastic mauling gold!

I can always rely on you and Lee to give me know slack at all...and keep me on my toes :thumbsup:

I would say sorry if I'd hit a sore spot (excuse the pun), however as you said not to and my default position is to try to find the humour or make a daft and sometimes cringeworthy remark, I won't!

I wouldn't have mentioned it ...but just saying i don't work makes me sound like a British officer and gives somewhat the wrong impression.....i don't take it seriously at all,

Too much time has passed....my best mate nicknamed me dogbone ...because my leg looks like something the dog chewed ..his words:cwl:

big 👍to the mods for enabling it. 

So essentially you guys, you lucky lot, are now classed as mates!

I feel very much the same and a huge shout to the mods for the hard work:thanks:

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

What are are you using for the torch cuts ? They are very convincing. 

As you know i did pull the drill out but for the life of me i couldn't find all the bits ...so i went oldskool and used a scalpel with a broken tip....scrape across and then once done apply a little liquid cement to soften the cuts.

And as always thank you all for your comments mates

Steve

• Like 2

Well it wouldn't be a true build thread without at least one cockup........ and i'm only too happy to oblige :drunk:Got so caught up in getting the main chassis together i didn't look through the dummy sheet thoroughly enough ....i think you can guess where this is going

spacer.png

Yes that's right class.... i didn't notice that there were parts that can only be fitted from the inside of the chassis..... i must admit to having a minor panic attack when i realised........but problem solved with some careful scribing down the lower hull weld beads....ALWAYS READ THE IDIOT BOOK.

• Like 4