Jagdtiger 331

M3talpig

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

5th picture down 17th ambush spot on hull, not sure a out that one!

That's it ...i warned that one if it didn't get its act together it was gone......you see what i have to put up with. 

Tube indeed ...the one i used (bought the whole set) was AK461 Gun metal...applied with a earbud ( qtip if your on the wrong side of the ocean) and buffed with a soft cloth...it was sooooo shiney you could see reflection in it.

So my friend are you doin the group build.....i signed up yesterday looking forward to it, be good to have you and Lee along for the ride

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

That's it ...i warned that one if it didn't get its act together it was gone......you see what i have to put up with. 

So my friend are you doin the group build.....i signed up yesterday looking forward to it, be good to have you and Lee along for the ride

You nail the little blighter, its letting the side down!

Sure am, I have the Dragon Ausf D in front of me right now, I know it's a cheat no zimm required! Up here for thinking and all that...

Even doing the Pzr III one early Feb.....

Always used the buffable humbrol metal coats up to now.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Longbow said:

What is this, “Not sure about updates today” !!

Ok ok chill.....i got ya...not a big update but this part of the weathering does take time and for once having shaky hands is a bonus :D.....the chipping is nearly done just some light touches of rust to do.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Longbow said:

So what’s the story on the red outlined crosses

I have had no luck with that at all it seems this was the only Jagdtiger in the 653rd with these markings...... so could be a personal thing ...who knows. I have found out the commanders name  Lt. Kasper Geoggler also found out this Jagdtiger stood it's ground until the commander had only one round left for the main gun and he used that to jam the gun in it's recoil position......he ambushed an American column and destroyed 25+vehicles before spiking it......... brave man.

• Like 2

Please excuse my ignorance if that is what I'm demonstrating here. Your Jagdtiger looks absolutely great and I've been very impressed as I have looked through the build.

Would the periscope lenses normally be sprayed camouflage colour?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, echen said:

Would the periscope lenses normally be sprayed camouflage colour?

This is a build in progress and the detail painting isn't being done yet ....im in the process of doing the weathering...detail painting wont be done for at least another day bud

Never mind the periscopes still haven't fixed the 17th ambush spot!

What colour are you going for on the periscope, the real ones I've seen are Dunklegelb but I don't know if that's prototypical 

Listening to a modelling podcast today and they where calling the Takom Blitz kits for being a little basic, you impression?

Cheers bud, time for a well earned beverage. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Never mind the periscopes still haven't fixed the 17th ambush spot!

:D

24 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

What colour are you going for on the periscope, the real ones I've seen are Dunklegelb but I don't know if that's prototypical 

well for the scissor scope and the other scope i have done them in grau and the drivers vision blocks and the blocks in the casemate i was gonna leave bodywork with a very dark blue glass

27 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Listening to a modelling podcast today and they where calling the Takom Blitz kits for being a little basic, you impression?

They may have been referring to the fact that it has no interior ...think that's the idea behind the blitz version, cheaper and simpler....as far as was it over complicated as a build definitely not and there were a few small details missing but i scoured my photo reference and honestly couldn't find much wrong with it. I suppose a more complete photetch set would have been nice especially for almost 40 quid......but that's a nitpick.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

They may have been referring to the fact that it has no interior ...think that's the idea behind the blitz version, cheaper and simpler....as far as was it over complicated as a build definitely not and there were a few small details missing but i scoured my photo reference and honestly couldn't find much wrong with it. I suppose a more complete photetch set would have been nice especially for almost 40 quid......but that's a nitpick.

Tbh the podcast is rather amateur half hour -esk (ok it lasts 2hrs + but doesn't roll of the tongue the same). The modelling aspect was fine but the knowledge of the real equipment and events was sadly lacking if I'm being very very kind. 

Your description of it was more what I'd expect but some peoples expectations can vary I'd guess.

Speaking of photoetch acquired a gas mini soldering torch, surprising what you can find in Aldi, just need some solder and the worlds your oyster!

44 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Fit wise, no one comes close to The Big T :D

You said it bro!

All hail the big "T" !!

• Like 2

Tell you what Steve, that's a cracking paint job....and I have to say that texture effect the kit has is really convincing.

I like how you maintained that over the surface of the kit...excellent job in the airbrushing early on......really nice feel of the rugged nature of armoured vehicles. For me, a difficult look to maintain with all the layers we need to apply to get the used look......it can be lost very easily.......really nice feel and job.........:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I like how you maintained that over the surface of the kit...excellent job in the airbrushing early on......really nice feel of the rugged nature of armoured vehicles. For me, a difficult look to maintain with all the layers we need to apply to get the used look......it can be lost very easily.......really nice feel and job.

Thanks so much ...high praise coming from you dude...your builds are stunning always....i laid the paint as thin glazes rather than solid colour in the hope i wouldn't lose the texture.....the only real problem with that method is 1...very easy to get runs as your essentially spraying coloured thinner and 2 when applying the green over the yellow initially i couldn't see were the green was laying and so i did get a lot of overspray but it all turned out ok .....first time i have used this method and even though it was a little hit and miss at the start i'm happy with the result and will use this method again. :like:

• Like 1

Blanking parts for the open hatches have now been matt blacked, exhausts rusted ..... periscopes and vision blocks painted, inside of hatches red oxided as at the late stages of 44-45 the germans were just pushing stuff out and so in a lot of cases end of war stuff in many cases didn't have the usual cream colour interiors all the hatches now fitted......it's all down to the small details now, spare track links, tow cables, gun cleaning rods and a few other small details :D

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Longbow said:

I’m thinking this could be a record turn around !!

You know what Lee it could well be :D

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

This is looking really good now, finish line in site

Roger

Your input as always is appreciated Roger and thanks

50 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

'Morning Steve. Nice paint job on the German thing. It's looking really neat.

Morning John.....why thank you kind sir....and what are you doin ere.......didn't think you liked these german contraptions:D always good to see ya though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

.didn't think you liked these german contraptions:D always good to see ya though

I'm doing my weekly catchup on the builds, and no, you're right, German stuff just doesn't do it for me, although having said that, I have a liking for anything to do with Pz.llls. I have a lllm/n in the stash to do someday.

John.

• Like 1