Jagdtiger 331

M3talpig

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Not a lot of people realise that you should mix burnishing fluid with water 1:1 ...it's essentially battery acid although not full strength it is strong enough to eat the brass pins out of the tracks and the skin of your fingers.....i used Mig Ammo stuff but i do use others as there all the same they need to be mixed......mine took about an hour in the fluid mix....takes longer but you have more control over the process if your dipping and soaking....if you brush on use neat but in that case your not soaking the pins so again you have a little more control.

Cheers, that's news to me!

Last time I used it straight from the bottle and soaked for about 4hrs, didn't half eat through the pins....

Not to mention a bottle of fluid and a set of Fruils makes for an expensive project..

Great paintwork,  really starting to look the bees knees!

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Last time I used it straight from the bottle and soaked for about 4hrs, didn't half eat through the pins....

Of course you could always burnish before putting them together negating the rotting pin problem all together and then you can use the stuff as it comes in the bottle.......coffee filters are great for cleaning the liquid after the process so you can use one bottle two or three times. 

• Thanks 1

RAL6011 Resedagrun added and went down well, used a little more paint to thinner and one drop extra of the retarder and the compressor was set to 8 PSI to get a clean spray....next is RAL8017 Schokobraun, hopefully this will be more visible against the other two colours as the green was a pain until the layers built up...all the above are very late war colours, late 44-45 and seem to fit the colourized photos i have of this vehicle. The paint instruction are eerily spot on to the real vehicle so i have done my best to stick to the pattern as close as i can.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

This is really coming together now stunning paintwork

Thanks Roger

44 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Chocolate Brown is probably my most used color !!

Love these late war schemes 

43 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I do like the late war greens and browns for a nice change, along with the late 44 pale dunklegelb...

Could not agree more...hope your well bud...ain't seen you around much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Could not agree more...hope your well bud...ain't seen you around much

That paint job looks 👌. To quote from the classics bet your  "as happy as a Frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers".

Been tied up with the little fella you see in the profile pic, he's 14+ and its getting to that time unfortunately.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

"as happy as a Frenchman who has just invented a pair of self-removing trousers".

I feel i should point out i reacted to the above and ............................

16 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Been tied up with the little fella you see in the profile pic, he's 14+ and its getting to that time unfortunately.

not this ...i feel for you dude they become a big part of the family.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

P.S.....what PE make are the tool clamps M3 ?

Thanks Simon...... the etch set i used here where Aber, set no-35 A04 German tool holders set 43-45...... but i bought at the same time (and wished i used ) Voyagermodel German clamp and clasp set late type 2.0 No- PE35003 these are workable more to scale and have longer pins meaning they don't fall to bits when you do try using them.......hindsight eh!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I feel i should point out i reacted to the above and ............................

not this ...i feel for you dude they become a big part of the family.

I know bud, thanks. 

Had planned on trying to get a little bench time in this morning, however he's having a bad day so been sat on floor with him. 

At least done a little research on Panther 445 of 51st pzr battalion at Kursk.

He didn't object providing I didn't stop stroking!

Not saying he's needy in his old age....

Cheers

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

I know bud, thanks. 

Had planned on trying to get a little bench time in this morning, however he's having a bad day so been sat on floor with him. 

At least done a little research on Panther 445 of 51st pzr battalion at Kursk.

He didn't object providing I didn't stop stroking!

Cheers

Well... I can't "Like" that post, Darryl..... Hope everything is going well there.....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Well... I can't "Like" that post, Darryl..... Hope everything is going well there.....

Thanks Lee, 

He's been hanging on for a bit but...

If only the floor was more comfortable!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Well i'm now teetering on the edge of a full repaint with enamels.........one because i couldn't do the ambush dots with the airbrush, not because my hand was shaky but because the acrylic no matter how thick just wants to puddle and run, not only that but even straight from the bottle it just doesn't contain enough pigment to shoot a tiny dot without it being just transparent......so ended up pouring into my paint tray leaving it for half hour then doing it by hand with a hairy stick....now i can't convince myself it doesn't look awful........i'm hoping that the weathering will start to tie things together :(

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

Okay.... Cut out a one dot mask, and hold it over each dot and spritz a spray squirt over the mask.

This will make your hand painted dots look like spray dots.....

It does not look awful to me, and once weathered will tone down the dots anyway. 

Edited by Longbow
TYPOS !!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Think you're being rather harsh on yourself mate, you're own worst critic and all that.

Doubt I'd have even considered airbrushing the dots...

Personally I think it's looking great but perhaps to tone everything together an oil filter or a very heavily thinned overspray of buff to tie it all in.

I've been looking into oil filters recently, never tried I must point out, but a filter might tie everything in.

If it was me I'd be rather chuffed, give yourself a little slack.

• Thanks 1