Jagdtiger 331

M3talpig

6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Well it wouldn't be a true build thread without at least one cockup........ and i'm only too happy to oblige :drunk:Got so caught up in getting the main chassis together i didn't look through the dummy sheet thoroughly enough ....i think you can guess where this is going

spacer.png

Yes that's right class.... i didn't notice that there were parts that can only be fitted from the inside of the chassis..... i must admit to having a minor panic attack when i realised........but problem solved with some careful scribing down the lower hull weld beads....ALWAYS READ THE IDIOT BOOK.

And I always thought it was just me ;)

The floor piece isn’t too bad to fix anyway. I hadnt seen too many tanks in a lift as of now, where people were talking a look at the private parts anyway.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soeren said:

And I always thought it was just me ;)

The floor piece isn’t too bad to fix anyway. I hadnt seen too many tanks in a lift as of now, where people were talking a look at the private parts anyway.

Steady on, don't let him off the hook....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Steady on, don't let him off the hook....

Your back on form again i see :D

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

I hadnt seen too many tanks in a lift as of now, where people were talking a look at the private parts anyway.

My thoughts exactly...better option than trying to peel the hull apart.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Your back on form again i see :D

Well,  you know,  can't let the side down, standards and all....

A few pints of a quality Italian beverage and all that.

Chin-chin!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Are we there yet ? ;)

Not far now bud....... just waiting on some fruil tracks and the running gear will be done tonight.....and if time permits the photo etch tool brackets. Then i have to decide which tools will be mounted and what won't......most of the photos i have of the Jagdtigers show them without pioneer tools, either lost or removed also have to make the tow cables as 331's were not mounted but hanging of the vehicle...so busy night ahead.

Floor refitted without to many probs

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Two very different generation of tank and kit......the new generation of kits really have moved on, detail quality of molds has improved drastically.....The Tiger 1 in the pic is a much older generation kit and it really shows...almost every detail of this had to be scratch built to make it accurate...versus the Jagdtigers new tech molds were there isn't much for me to do accept bash the kit together......for me it's been fun but a bit empty as an experience as a model maker, different generation of modeller to i guess, The Tiger 1 is and will be a challenge to finish but the Jagd has just fallen together...not a complaint just an observation.

spacer.png 

• Like 6

Looking good but in need of paint!

Glad there's no I'll effects after butchering its underside!

Some odd folk do appear to miss the challenges of an old kit, the soft detail, poor fit and sketchy accuracy.

Masochist!

Personally, I'll take a good quality modern kit anyday!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper dog said:

Some odd folk do appear to miss the challenges of an old kit, the soft detail, poor fit and sketchy accuracy.

Masochist!

I'm not at a stage were i can do a full scratch build yet (used to spend most of my money on plans rather than kits) but there is an insane pleasure from creating somet from nout....... perhaps i need help :drunk:

14 minutes ago, Longbow said:

That was a nice save Steve.... I wouldn’t have thought of cutting the hull open. 

Glad it wasn't an interior kit or i would have been scuppered......seemed the only answer...glad i didn't do any damage would have been such a shame as this is a lovely kit.

• Like 2

A nice pair of Tiger's you have there!

The older kits that need a little(?) work to bring them up to scratch are much more fun to build as well ae cheaper usually.

Looking forward to seeing your Tiger's in paint, very nice work so far.

Roger

• Like 1

There’s a place for both types of builds I think. Easy to put together is great to keep the flow and interest going so you feel that you are achieving something and then the protracted builds to tax you in between.

As everyone has already said, theY both look great.

Really looking forward to seeing the JT with Friul tracks, that’s when it turns from model to beast in my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Looking good, Steve !!

How much brass is involved ?

Just the tool clamps ...and i will be scratchin a single front mudguard from copper...i don't have the clamps for the tow cables so they will have to be made as well...nothin taxing.

• Like 1

Hoorah the tracks arrived ....... Historex as usual on the ball.....armoured rear doors and MG mount are done as is most of the kit bash .....front mudguard was made from copper sheet with lead foil details and the main tow cable mounts are nearly finished...so tonight will be track assembly.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Excellent scratch fenders, what did you use for the bolts?

Hi Simon and thanks.....i used a small drill bit upside down in a pin vice with a base made from molding rubber and a sheet of lead foil  and just pushed the bit through the lead into the very soft rubber..... presto lots of rivets then used the tip of a sharp scalpel to pick up the very tiny rivets and dip in cyano and apply to the piece

6 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I found a few pix of 331 in that Zamora book. 
You probably have them, but if not let me know.

OOOOHHH yes please always like to see pics

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Weld beads done on rear doors, front mudguard finished and the tow rope hangers finished....still have to start the tracks :deadhorse: and still have to do the pioneer tool holders ..... then it's on to paint

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6