Jagdtiger 331

M3talpig

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

Ooff !! Brutal !! :D

Some folk just need a gentle push to get the best from them....he'll thank us in the long run...

Sometimes you just need to get after it...🤘😉

• Like 1

Gun barrel mounted and a very nice touch is the rifled texture to the end of the barrel......so if your careful with fitting and finishing no need for expensive alloy aftermarket barrel.

To get a smooth finish down the length of said gun i sanded a few pieces of sprue till i had a nice pile of plastic dust then mixed it with some Tamiya liquid poly till i had a thick mixture of melted plastic used a brush to run it down the barrel length left it to dry then sanded ...it's better than filler as the texture of the melted sprue is the same as the original piece.

Next is the upper hull to be fitted then it's time to do some torch cut marks and exaggeration of the interlocked armour plates.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Enough from me for now as i got some picture hunting to do for some of the details that need doing later.

That is all .....stand down troops

• Like 6

Just now, Longbow said:

Looking Good Steve !!

I have the Takom Blitz Stug III G and Pz III M.

Honestly bud if there even as remotely as nice as this kit your in for a treat....the detail on this is very very good only a few minor details missing....far better than the kits i remember.

• Like 1

So i have discovered the first couple of problems with the kit..... as i have joined the upper hull to the lower it will need filling in several spots , not a huge problem filling is always to be expected....but the second poor fit is gonna require a little more dry fitting and adjustment with files and sharp thingys...The saukopf mantlet is a horrible fit...and i use fit very loosely because until you start to do some cutting it won't.....i have done some test fits and then reprofiled the interlocking plates and it will go together but i would suggest anybody who has the same issue to shave down the armour on the mantlet rather than the hull. If you trim the hull section you will damage the weld bead and make the whole thing uneven.

The first pic shows how far out of whack it is the second shows the trimmed section and the fit improvement, i had to remove about a millimeter from the top edge of the interlocking armour .........

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

• M3talpig changed the title to Jagdtiger 331

Stand down and an hour later another update, someone is really forging ahead!

Nice touch having the rifling visible in the muzzle. Shame about the iffy fit but I'm sure a chap of your talents will knock it into shape.

I Remember the Dragon one having a few issues in a similar area.

Now, I think you've made up for the hesitant start and we'll say  no more about it! 

(Sorry no silly faces, could just be my tablet but I've not been able to use emojis for a little while, phone fine but to small for this job).

As you are.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice touch having the rifling visible in the muzzle. Shame about the iffy fit but I'm sure a chap of your talents will knock it into shape.

I Remember the Dragon one having a few issues in a similar area.

Yes to be honest wasn't expecting the level of detail i'm seeing with this....i'm starting to see why modern kits are double the price of the older stuff now......injection and draw molding has really moved on since i last bought kits

didn't plan on doing as much as i did last night ...every time i put it down and thought "that's me done" i found myself testing something else ..... i really had fun with this:yahoo:

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Ooff.... That fit is a little disappointing. Must have been one of those Ersatz, End Kampf, Tigers..... ;)

You could well be right Lee.....

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

Wonder why one finds this in modern kits. Didn’t the manufacturer try it before.

it does make you wonder how a mistake like this could slip through QC but if kits were perfect they would be boring

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Just caught up with this project, you have made a good start!

Will follow along for the rest of the ride if I may?

Roger

Be great to have you aboard Roger.....thanks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Longbow said:

If you need to retool some or the torch cuts, I use one of these. 
It’s small and precise on a slow speed. 
About. $7 at Home Despot. 

spacer.png

How do you do torch cuts with this piece? We need a tutorial.

• Like 1

So briefly here is a little about 331.

Jagdtiger (serial number 305020) 331 was produced in October 1944 and was attached to the 3rd Company of the s.Pz.Jg.Abt 653 and was produced at the Nibelungenwerk at St. Valentin, It was captured by American troops near Neustadt an der Weinstraße, Germany in March 1945 after an action that saw her hit six times (no penetrations), she was put out of action when a round damaged her final drive, the crew managed to turn her side on to the enemy and use the vehicles size as cover to escape, Before abandoning the vehicle, the crew drained the recoil system and fired a final main gun round, jamming the gun in it's recoil position (i guess this was done because they had no time to blow her up).

This vehicle now sits at Fort Benning at the armour museum after the U.S ordnance department had her shipped back to the United States with a bunch of other captured tanks at the end of 45.

Interesting fact Otto Carius last vehicle used before wars end was a Jagdtiger and he commanded a company of them, he stated that they could have made a better showing of themselves if it hadn't been for poor crew training and the fact that they were never actually used in their intended role, that and the complete lack of power from the Maybach engine which even in the lighter Tiger 1 was overstressed but in the 71 ton Jagdtiger was hopeless and tied to that the complete lack of torque meant that serious mechanical breakdown was common. Most of the Jagdtigers were destroyed by there own crews after mechanical breakdown or simply shortage of fuel, A few were lost to enemy action but that wasn't often as they were so heavily armoured it was hard to pen them ....ironically the first Jagdtiger to be lost was by a bazooka round striking the side armour and setting of the magazine causing a catastrophic internal explosion that saw the vehicle literally blown to pieces.

So after a little fiddling cutting and sanding the saukopf fitted ....and i have to say if that's the biggest problem with this kit i will be very happy.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Anyway have a great day peoples more update to come today as i apply battle damage and start on detailing

and of course thanks for following along.

Steve

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Longbow said:

If you need to retool some or the torch cuts, I use one of these. 
It’s small and precise on a slow speed. 

Thanks Lee i use a very similar bit...extremely useful especially on larger sections like the towing lugs at either end of the main chassis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soeren said:

How do you do torch cuts with this piece? We need a tutorial.

You stick it in Dremel tool at slow speed, and use the edge of the cutter to tap/press onto the section you want to look like torch cuts. 

It check your references. Some plates were torch cut, others machine cut. 

Note the tops of the front plates on this Tiger. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Torch cutting marks are nearly done just need to go over them with a little liquid cement to soften them a little. Had a dig around my photo etch sets as i was sure i had a set of German tool clamps and found this lot ....time to put them to use me thinks:yahoo:

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6