Building same models

Just wondering do people build the same aircraft multiple times... Say 5 spitfire vb or tornado gr1.... If yes how do you get differnt markings

Yes to multiples.

Sometimes kits come with with different marking options, also you can buy sheets of markings dedicated to one particular type, eg, Tiger Moth, or Hurricanes, or Messer 109s

Rarely, but yes, with different markings.  While military crafts may look the same for someone civil liveries of the same type may be quite diverse

Oh yes. The English Electric Lightning is my go-to for multiple builds, and I have got a fairly good collection now. My good lady wife just raises her eyebrows when I pull out another Lightning kit and says 'more peace and quiet for me then!'

I have got quite a few markings sheets from Xtradecal and Modeldecal for the main markings, and from Xtradecal for the generic markings (Hannants).

When you get extra sheets, it opens up a whole new set of reasons for buying more models...

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Yes, I do it quite a lot. Sometimes it's the same type of aircraft from different kits, other times it's exactly the same kit built more than once with different markings. There are subjects that I like and I like to display different kind of camo schemes or markings on these subjects. The alternative markings come from aftermarket decal sheets or other kits or are made with a combination of masks and home-printed decals.

Err, yes.  Do you mean this isn't entirely normal?  Even back in the late 60s Airfix kits would come with multiple markings (OK, two).  I'm trying to remember if I ever made the same kit twice with the same markings, but I can only recall the Airfix Bf 110, which I made when it came out and again some 15 years later with an example from the Dogfight Doubles - but I suspect the markings on the original kit were not the same.  Perhaps an Airfix P-51D, again once thrown together on release and once some years later.. but I may be confusing that with intending to do one properly now we know rather better about the subject!

As a colours and markings kinda guy, I tend to make a lot of the same type of aircraft. A good example is my 1938-40 Spitfire build, which at the moment has 58 models, 38 of which are the earlier Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I and 16 of the newer kit.

Markings are a combination of kit decals and aftermarket decal sheets. Some of the sheets provide the subjects I want but often I will have to resort to sheets of roundels and squadron code letters to end up with particular aircraft I want to model. These "generic" sheets can be obtained from the likes of Xtradecal, Fantasy Printshop, et al.

I admit that my Spitfire collection probably verges on the obsessive and definitely isn't for everyone. Here's a couple of pics of the build in progress to show you how far it can go. Please excuse the few interlopers.

28589691798_52042e07a7_b.jpg

28589693078_40715e9477_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Yes and no. I haven't built any Spitfires for about 20 years, but I do build the same AFV more than once. But in reality, they're not the same. In my cabinets, I have 12 1/35th Shermans and 8 1/48th ones. But they are all different from the earliest M4 (Sherman 1), up to the IDF's M-51. The same with Cromwells. I've got approximately 9 in both scales and each is a different mark. Variety is the spice of life.

John.

Never - my aim is to collect one mark of every operational WWII type - though I may make an exception for those aircraft that went through many marks, with the final mark being significantly different to the first (e.g Spit, 109). But to be honest completing the 700 or so types before my time on this planet runs out is going to be a close run thing - so no room for duplication!

Cheers,

Colin

Yes !

I am building Lancasters for a particular period, November 1943 as part of my airfield diorama.

They all carry the squadron ID letters but an individual aircraft call letter. 

Based on many photos, some have artwork on the nose others just have bomb symbols. I have about 15 for the said period but I have others from different dates.

I obtained a couple more glass shelves for my display cupboard and whilst I was making the alterations to the shelf spacing I took a photo of some of them  . . . .

IMG-1724.jpg

Two of them out on the airfield  . . .

DV193-JA934-2.jpg

• Like 11

Not usually,diffrent versions yes,Panther A,B,D,G or Jagdtiger Porsche and Henschel

Sorry,didnt realize you were just asking about A/C same thing no, have not duplicated aircraft either.

Edited by Tojo72

@lasermonkey

Mark, you have the cure for insomnia. Counting Dark Earth Dark Green Spitfires. Much more interesting than sheep. 

To the OP I have ended up building many Spitfires as well. So many markings available you have a lifetime of subjects to build. Over 20,000 built so plenty of subjects to choose from. And now I'm tending to paint my own roundels and squadron codes, occasionally hand paint the motifs and with serial number decals, well, the sky is the limit.

46 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I am building Lancasters for a particular period, November 1943 as part of my airfield diorama.

Impressive!

Ray  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

That's a pretty tablecloth, where did you buy it? :tomato:

• Haha 7
9 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

As a colours and markings kinda guy, I tend to make a lot of the same type of aircraft. A good example is my 1938-40 Spitfire build, which at the moment has 58 models, 38 of which are the earlier Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk I and 16 of the newer kit.

Markings are a combination of kit decals and aftermarket decal sheets. Some of the sheets provide the subjects I want but often I will have to resort to sheets of roundels and squadron code letters to end up with particular aircraft I want to model. These "generic" sheets can be obtained from the likes of Xtradecal, Fantasy Printshop, et al.

I admit that my Spitfire collection probably verges on the obsessive and definitely isn't for everyone. Here's a couple of pics of the build in progress to show you how far it can go. Please excuse the few interlopers.

28589693078_40715e9477_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

Wow thats alot of spitfire

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ant79 said:

Wheres all the propellers gone

38 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I hadn't got quite that far.

He's modelling Spitfires, not propellers?

Depends.  I usually have a policy of building just 1 example of a subject.  However I have, since I built my 1/72 Revell Tornado GR1 in a Desert Storm livery, had an urge to build another one in the usual grey/green camo.  I also usually only build a duplicate if the first or subsequent one's went wrong...

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Ant79 said:

They usually come with props dont they

But if they're spinning, you can't see them anyway :wicked:

• Like 1