Tamiya Kawanishi K1N1 1/72nd Ja

Si2

Enthused as I am with Japanese aircraft, I decided to blow the budget and buy two kits at once from Hannants.

This is one of them.

This is my helper checking the structural integrity of the boxes...

spacer.png

I've made three Airfix kits and now it's time to venture to the far East for a Japanese kit of a Japanese plane.

I liked the look of the George and it's deep fuselage.

First things first, the cockpit!

These are the bits that make it up.

spacer.png

I cleaned them up and stuck them together. No issues, the Tamiya fit is exemplary. 

The instructions are clear and precise.

The clear gun sight is a nice touch.

It was stuck together and painted. In the usual Japanese cockpit green with alittle highlighting and pin wash.

spacer.png

This kit had an instrument panel that had embossed dials on it. And a decal to fit over it.

I thought this would lead to an issue, the decal floating on top of the embossed 'dots' when dry.

I loaded the decal with decalset and left it in place overnight.

The next day the decal has conformed exactly to the surface and the dials looked really great! 

I was very pleasantly surprised.

Next up the belts needed to be added, Tamiya do provide a decal, but it's pretty flat and it looks like a decal.

So I cut up some masking tape, added a buckle and painted it up.

Stuck the two belts to the seat with superglue and we're done.

spacer.png

Strips cut and buckle added. BUckle and loop is just made from some copper wire.

spacer.png

Glued in place.

spacer.png

The other side.

I painted the interior of the fuse and stuffed the lot in there.

spacer.png

Edited by Si2
  • Like 8

Next up is fitting the wings. I found what I think is a small error here. The wings didn't quite sit right.

They were propped up on two ribs that seemed to hold the front end open too much.

I had to trim the ribs down a little.

spacer.png

The fit was then great and the engine held the front end together while I stuck the lot.

• Like 3

Hi @Si2,

You've made a great start - the cockpit is looking fantastic!

I'll be watching this build with interest, as I've just had one of these kits arrive from Japan along with several other Tamiya 1/72 kits (they cost peanuts and if you buy half a dozen, the shipping cost isn't prohibitive either). I've never yet built a Tamiya kit, so I'm really looking forward to making a start on one!

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

All the best,

Mark

By the way, this is Daisy, my helper:

http://IMG-20200825-124739573-2.jpg

although she tends to chew boxes and bat stuff off my work table, so perhaps "helper" isn't quite the right term :)

Well, I guess those kit boxes are safe to open, as they've both been cat-scanned. 

I started the Tamiya kit years ago but never finished it. One thing I do remember about it was trying to get the cowl flaps glued on. They're a bit fiddly. 

I just took a look in the box and at some time, one of the flaps came off the cowling while sitting in the box. That may have happened when my room was cleared out after the sewer backup 4 years ago.

50317274721_670cee766d_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

I popped those cowl flaps on last night, not had a chance to take any more photos yet.

I'm building an Airfix 80's Val, an RS and a Tamiya kit and the contrast between them all is incredible.

All fun to build though.

Edited by Si2
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/09/2020 at 12:33, 2996 Victor said:

Another one making rapid progress! I see you've cut out the wingtip lights - are there transparencies in the or do you make the yourself?

Cheers,

Mark

I'm going to blob some clear glue in there till it fills up and then carve/sand to shape. Hopefully it'll look ok ;)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm back on the Tamiya.

I am having all sorts of nightmares with my airbrush trying to paint this thing.

I've ended up with a horrible coat of deep green on the top, loads of overspray and hours of cleaning airbrushes.

I will persevere with a proper brush to tidy up the colour scheme.

I didn't get any pics last night as I was too huffy about airbrush painting disasters and I left it to dry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So it's now green and grey.

I sprayed both surfaces with no masking and now I'm tidying it up with a brush.

I had a few blemishes that I sanded off and touched up.

7b8ca3cf-e315-4f78-9a3b-1e3777e43d61.jpg

The green looks very lifeless, unrea;istic.

I need to inject some variation in there and get it looking less flat.

I will be fiddling with the paintbrushes this weekend and hopefully it will start to take on a bit of life.

• Like 2

I've been messing about with my airbrush on this kit.

I tried some shading.

It took about two hours of work to get a nice even thin line.Experimenting with paint viscosity, thinning agents etc.

In the end I got a good controllable thin line that I could follow panel lines etc and adjust on the fly.

I was quite pleased.

But then I got a giant blob of water come flying out of my brush while I was focussed right in on the lines.

Scared the heck out of me!

Now I need to work out how to prevent water build up in my pipe.

I have a water trap on the comperessor, but I think because my pipe lies on the floor it's lower and this is possibly where the water gathers, then it comes flying out the end.

I did a few light overcoats last night to tone the shading down as it is a bit over powering.

I'm gaining confidence in the brush. I have a Christmas build planned with a friend where I need to do a good mottle scheme.

I'm doing a Japanese marked ME109 and it has a light camo sprayed finish.

4276944d-43a1-4a3e-a035-81fd5e719ac4.jpg

• Like 2