Avro Lancaster B.I Admiral Prune

Plumbum

The second aircraft photo showing Gibson and Searby (on Gibson's right) also shows that the aircraft carried the individual code of 'Y'

It is likely that the aircraft ,  ED593, carried the ZN-Y code . . . .

Edited by Mancunian airman
Added aircraft serial number

Colour photo of the artwork for the first Admiral Prune on p.39 of Roger Freeman's The RAF of WW2 In Colour: generally grey with pinky-maroon scarf with yellow dots.  Cap badge similarly yellow detail on a pinky-maroon ground.  Bomb symbols in yellow except for last one in top row of 20 which is grey/white (for a daylight raid).  Only one bomb in the 2nd row.

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Colour photo of the artwork for the first Admiral Prune on p.39 of Roger Freeman's The RAF of WW2 In Colour: generally grey with pinky-maroon scarf with yellow dots.  Cap badge similarly yellow detail on a pinky-maroon ground.  Bomb symbols in yellow except for last one in top row of 20 which is grey/white (for a daylight raid).  Only one bomb in the 2nd row.

This one:

50360339998_2406ea2e20_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Some of the colour repro was quite off in the book,  this seems better balanced, and I'd suggest that the red and yellow are just the standard marking paints. 

3336394760_8663f4091a_b.jpgLancaster mascot  1943 by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

this is the other image

3847848155_f7de9b6e98_b.jpgLancaster Bomber by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

both from here

Flickr Search

which has some very useful period colour images

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing the same kit right now. My only other thought to what has been said is that there is a complete lack of panel lines. If I had the skill, patience and resources I would do a complete scribe before starting. Also

1. Seeing the state of the kit decals I used a Techmod set for 300 Sqn which, aside from the red being too bright which seems to be a common fault with this company, went on well.

2. I left off the upper turret thinking I could, with some fettling, get it to fit after painting. That has not gone well! Still in the process of sorting that out.

3. I was about to paint the exhaust shrouds but, if you don't mind,I'll see how you do it first now that you have these excellent ref photos.

4. Other stuff left to do. The upper and rear turrets. Aerial wire ( tho I'm not clear as to its entry point into the canopy). Weathering esp exhausts over(and under) wings. Final assembly of pre painted props, spinners, u/c doors.

Hopefully I'll do an RFI if it's presentable. My last build, of the ancient Monogram Bearcat, was so poor it rests in peace at the back of the cabinet. The one before that was a J2M, 'Jack', which remains half built as I lost my enthusiasm for it but may yet be displayed here if I can be bothered to finish it. 

BTW, I've just started the ESCI F-4J (UK) so if anybody else is doing one let me know

On 9/7/2020 at 6:07 PM, billn53 said:

I found this guide online, it may be of help.

http://www.hyperscale.com/lancaster_guide.pdf

- Bill

I’d treat that with a degree of caution: both Mk. I and Mk. III Lancasters could be seen with needle-bladed and paddle-bladed airscrews and the later style bomb-aimer’s blister.  The engines determine the mark number, Rolls Royce engines for the Mk. I and VII and Packard for the Mk. III and X.

It may not be the modern “thing” but the Lancaster is covered in raised rivet heads so, in some respects, the 1980s Airfix kit gives a better impression than its successors, but I won’t argue that some raised panel lines wouldn’t go amiss as representing some of the lapped joints.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, Ruskin Air Services said:

Great kit, still got two more in the stash and this one :

54368deda97415cf9707bbc9c2e4ec060fe23a6ebe030d351b3933096b96ba9e

It’s good to see a model of one of 635 Squadron’s Lancasters, I’m supposed to be building a model of ND812, F2:V for a friend but it’s come to a screeching halt as I’ve put the kit somewhere very safe and can’t now remember where that is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

It’s good to see a model of one of 635 Squadron’s Lancasters, I’m supposed to be building a model of ND812, F2:V for a friend but it’s come to a screeching halt as I’ve put the kit somewhere very safe and can’t now remember where that is.

6 years ago when I retired and left New England for Florry Duh I had a lot of stuff

I couldn't remember where I put. I got a small notebook and now catalog where my

stuff is. Not sure if it's a senior moment or bad memory but I know that feeling. Never

again!---John   PS---note name in upper right on cover---memo book!

Yuaib8B.jpg

• Like 2

I just found an image of Admiral Prune. It shows 2 radius arms running to the MLG.

I have an old MLG off a 1958 Airfix Avro Lancaster with 2 holes in the MLG. The newer

mold Lancasters only have 1. Why? Did they delete the second radius arm from them

at some time? See image below. I enlarged it and there are 2 arms going to the MLG.---John

I just looked in a walk around book, does that upper "radius rod" connect in some way to

the gear doors? To close them when the wheels retract backwards?

WueWglT.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Chris. The main gear struts and wheels are assembled. I have Airfix 1958 struts with Airfix

1978 wheels. The original 1958 struts were shortened by 1.5 mm and 2 tabs added

as per the 1978 struts.---John

2loDN1C.jpg

• Like 5

Waiting for my dark earth paint so I decided to add the bomb load. I added all

Airfix gave me, 6 1000 lb bombs and the cookie. I had 2 sets, one painted dark

green and another set painted olive green. I went with the olive green color bombs.---John

pZOwu7V.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just started to build a 1/48 Lanc in this scheme so great inspiration. I found a drawing on the internet and have used that as a basis to build the decal design up using Powerpoint....because that's the only software I know how to use 😂

spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi all can't get hold of the old black Lancaster kit but did build the new airfix Dambusters version did however get a 70s model avro Stirling which will soon be my next project. Currently working on airfix 1/72 beaufighter... Paul

• Like 2

I will be starting the Stirling as soon as iv finished the beaufighter it is the bomber command version the last time I saw one of these was 40 yrs ago a friend had built it. It was displayed with a Lancaster and Wellington and looked very impressive..