Flight Check Squadron (JASDF) U125

Kes

Found this while researching Mitsubishi T2 CCV (yes yes, I'm reeeally easily distracted. . . ooooh look a bird!. . ) Ha!

1280px-JASDF-U-125-29-3041-fly-over-at-J

So, I'm thinking which kit would make the best basis for this build?

163923-11185-pristine.webp

163921-11185-pristine.webp

I am aware of the similar U125a search and rescue kit issued by Sword in 2018

Thanks!!

Edited by Kes

Your only option right now is the Sword U-125, which is a good kit, but you'll need to remove the ventral fairings from the fuselage and wing center section and re-skin.  Not an easy task.  Perhaps an e-mail to Sword about the virtues of a "clean" -800 might attract their interest, but I would speculate they are aiming for the large Japanese market for maritime recon aircraft.

Wel you can't use the Airfix Dominie or Matchbox HS 125 kits as the 800 series has different wings, tail empennage, rear fuselage and engines.

I am currently building a C-29A from the Sword U125A kit. As TheJammedKenny! says, the front fairing and the underfuselage radar must be removed and replaced with a shorter fairing. I've done the cutting away and am now rebuilding the missing fuselage. I'll post some pictures once I've worked out how to do it.

Why Sword didn't make a plain series 800 kit then add a new sprue to enable a U125A to be made I'll never know.

• Like 1

North Wing Model Craft made one a while ago (I have one half built in the stash back home). A bit of hunting may find one in Japan...

https://n-wing.sakura.ne.jp/secure/ProductDetail.php?iProduct=9

rytusfmt_400.jpg

UPDATE: There may be one available here: http://newmodel.hp-ad.net/?eid=1054341

I can email them in Japanese on your behalf, if you like.

Edited by Blimpyboy

North Wing Model Craft made one a while ago

Indeed!  That's a vacform and resin kit, right?  Very expensive, especially in comparison with the Sword offering.

8 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

I'll post some pictures once I've worked out how to do it.

Yes, please!  Would love to see your approach to this.

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Perhaps in 1/144.  I'm surprised Hasegawa hasn't jumped on this!  It's about the size of a 737, right?

Actually the U-125 is about half the size of the baseline 737.  U-125 length and span are on the order of 50 feet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CT7567 said:

Actually the U-125 is about half the size of the baseline 737

Sorry--I should have been more precise: I meant the brand new four-engine P-1, not the U-125.  I actually have the Sword kit myself, and it's nice.  But the corrective surgery to make an -800 is daunting.

I've started a topic in Work in Progress here on converting a U125A into a C-29 and I suspect it will work equally well for a U125 or any of the Hawker 800 series. Other military operators include South Korea Air Force, Pakistan Navy, Nigerian and Mozambique Air Forces plus a plethora of civilian operators.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

I'm not sure, but, because of the deeper-looking fuselage, I always think it looks smaller than it probably really is!

Assuming per above we're talking about the P-1, it definitely has some odd proportions - four podded engines make it seem more like a 707 than a 737!  Checking the stats, the P-1 is larger but length-wise if you took away the MAD tail boom it would be comparable. The P-1 has a significantly longer span, but the wing seems to have less sweep than most modern types.  Here's a shot with the P-8 (737 derivative) for direct comparison:

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 9/7/2020 at 10:20 AM, Blimpyboy said:

North Wing Model Craft made one a while ago (I have one half built in the stash back home). A bit of hunting may find one in Japan...

https://n-wing.sakura.ne.jp/secure/ProductDetail.php?iProduct=9

rytusfmt_400.jpg

UPDATE: There may be one available here: http://newmodel.hp-ad.net/?eid=1054341

I can email them in Japanese on your behalf, if you like.

Thanks! what a kind offer! Unfortunately it's way out of my price range! and besides, I'm not afraid to take a razor saw and a stack of plasticard on the kits i have to make a reasonable approximation! The decal sheet would be good to have though!

On 9/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, Julien said:

Why not use the Sword U-125?

Because I have those two other kits in the stash, and I enjoy the challenge!! 

. . . and, the Sword is U-125a, which is a bit different

I really do like the P-1, you can tell that there was a drive to make a ' jet P-3' in the design logic.

I'm surprised that Hasegawa haven't done this, it would sit very nicely with their US-1/PS-1, P-3, P-2 and P-5 kits.

Kawasaki_P-1_(19753100749).jpg

Back to the 125 thingmy jig, it does seem a wasted opportunity for Sword to not have done a basic 800 and then added the extra bits on for role specific aircraft.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5

To 71 Chally's point:

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

wasted opportunity for Sword to not have done a basic 800 and then added the extra bits on for role specific aircraft.

I agree totally.  It may have been that Sword never counted on a market for the -800.  Does anyone have a good relationship with Sword and be willing to make the suggestion directly?  Of course, Mr. Sword can always say "no," but that's fine, too.