Tornado AYCB - 1. Revell ADV Tornado

Anatol Pigwa

Since No one helped me to choose which Tpoornado to build from the picture  Posted In the general Chat, I decided to take up the challenge and see how many Tornados I will be able to build during this GB., Hence the AYCB - All you can build - Moinker.

The first Tornado   will be this little fella:

DSC01007

Because surely the ADV Tonado will be hugely unpopular, and the Revell boxing way to obscure to be build. (actually I start with this one, bedcause it does not require a nose job, and I am stll waiting for the corresponding Parts for the IDS/ECR/Recce Tornados. 

Oh wait... this is actually the THIRD build in the GB of this kit? Well color me surprised. This could become a mini SKGB in it's own right!

I intend to do this as an OOB build, save for the pitot tube and maybe the bang seats. I am not sure if they are worth the hassle though.

DSC01010

Day 1:  some mayor components have been assembled (the wings are preliminarly glued together with a cow gum for semi-dry-fitting :)

DSC01011

Day 2: First coast of paint applied. The grey paint on wings and tailplanes is Vallejo Light ghost grey, It looks in the picture quie dark tough, and I Might spray a coat of light greay over it. BTW. has someone an Idea which colors are the "proper" ones for the scheme, particularly from in the Vallejo air colours?

Clearly visible is the  noseweight which pretty ideally fitted the nose cone.

You can also notice the Hindenburger Tanks which pilfered from the Revell RAF GR.1 kit It just makes so much more sence for me to have them on an F.3 than on a strike jet.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Because surely the ADV Tonado will be hugely unpopular, and the Revell boxing way to obscure to be build.

Not true,  I'm building two F3s   -  and have built the Revell F3 Tornado previously.

The first thing I discovered about my SEALED BOX KIT, was a swapped Italeri canopy - with mid frame too far back. 

A fairly easy fix - but removed the shine from a bargain buy.  Check your's please.

And welcome aboard.

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Not true,  I'm building two F3s   -  and have built the Revell F3 Tornado previously.

The first thing I discovered about my SEALED BOX KIT, was a swapped Italeri canopy - with mid frame too far back. 

A fairly easy fix - but removed the shine from a bargain buy.  Check your's please.

And welcome aboard.

This was meant to be ironic...

Let's say the canopy of my ADV is the same as the one in the Revell GR.1 Kit.

I understood though that the ADV is an Italeri mould, so if you happened to find an early boxing you might have been "blessed" with the original Italeri canopy.  (I believe your box was numbered 4375, while mine is the 04375 - maybe this is the solutoon to the mystery?

Ah - irony 😀 , realised that just after my post.

My previous build was the same 04375 box as yours.  Without the 😐 10-> line below the dimensions on the LHS of the box.

AND mine isn't an end opening box, unlike everyone else  -  removeable lid job.

Two slightly different boxes, both from 1989 - I'm now wondering whether one is an Italeri produced kit,  

and the other Revell produced, after correcting the canopy frame.

All of my sprues are tagged 179, kit number for the Italeri F3 - are your's the same?

No real matter, as I've removed the errant frame now.

My spruces are numbered 179 as well.

I hope the issue won't affect your build significantly though.

Although it us strange, as Revell produced this kit in 1988 and the new tooling Tornados were introduced in 1998. Were did the correct canopy come from then?

Great to see you making a start Marcin.

I think the F3 will be quite a popular subject, with maybe 25% of the originals and 3 users all be it only 1 real scheme.

Colin

@exdraken the schemes in the box are:

11 Sqn. ZE764/DH | RAF Leeming 1988  (shown on the box art, and the one I will be recreating)

and 

65 Sqn. ZE205/AA | RAF Coningsby 1988

@theplasticsurgeon you inspired me and I will do something very similar to your comparatory build as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I a m currently toying wth the idea of turning this aircraft into an EF.3 Tornado, Though I would (purists look away) keep the 1980-ies livery.

Another Idea which crossed my mind would be adding Kormorans to the ADV Tornado as hinted here:

https://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/546616-tornado-f-2-3-tanks-geek-corner.html

A not-so-ADV Tornado with 2x Kormorans under the belly, 2 Hindenburg Tanks and 2 ALARM on the stub pylon? Straying into a What-if Scenario.... 

Not I Only need to source a BOZ-10z and a Phimat in 1/72

There were quite  few proposals to use the F3 Airframe as a longer range attack aircraft but all cam to nothing. The RAF especially found out the GR1 was not as economical low down as the Buccaneer and there was a proposal for a Sea Eagle carrying version using the F2 airframe.

I'm happy if you wish to do a WiF but maybe an F2 would be interesting

Colin

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

There were quite  few proposals to use the F3 Airframe as a longer range attack aircraft but all cam to nothing. The RAF especially found out the GR1 was not as economical low down as the Buccaneer and there was a proposal for a Sea Eagle carrying version using the F2 airframe.

I'm happy if you wish to do a WiF but maybe an F2 would be interesting

Colin

The issue is, I have a load of Kormoran and ALARM missiles left, also some Aspides ans RBS-15, but no Sea Eagles.

Maybe if I finish all the special schemes I will do a Japanese Strike Tornado with RBS snd ALARM missiles?