Cessna float planes

23 minutes ago, Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy said:

Planning ahead for a diorama with a Cessna floatplane, probably something similar to a Cessna 172.

I've found options in 1/48, but are there any bigger ones, say 1/32 or similar?

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/roden-132-l-19o-1-bird-dog-floatplane-kit/

There's a Bird Dog, not sure to what extent these were used by civvies.

Hi Andrew

I'm far from an expert I only know of the Revell/Monogram Cessna 180, approximately 1:41 scale, most come on wheels but, some kits were released with amphibious floats. A Revell Germany 1/32 Piper Super Cub (came with floats in one version wheels in another)...Although again no tandem seating. There is also (or was at one time) a fellow adding home made floats on "Large Scale Planes" to a very rare Nichimo kit Cessna 172 in 1/20 scale....tough to find kit and big job to fit floats to but might be an option??

I believe all these kits are currently oop at the current time but the Cessna 180's are more common than the others...Possibly Ebay or other on line model supply store. Be advised though the 180 is mostly a toy kit, it can however be a respectable model but takes work (I've built 4 of them)

In a smaller scale (1/48) you may be able to find a DHC-2 Beaver, DHC-3 Otter and Cessna 172 on floats.

I bet there's more, these are only the ones I'm aware of.

Chris

Edited by chrispisme
typo

Much appreciated Chris!

The hope is to create a diorama scene from one of my favorite TV shows, which featured a Cessna floatplane of some kind (not sure the exact subtype), so if I do this I can't go other plane routes.  Normally I'm a 1/72 jet guy, but in this case I know even a 1/48 job would be slightly small for the extreme detailing/scratchbuilding I'm hoping to do.

Ok, here's what I'm considering doing a diorama of, Buzz Sherwood's second plane from the Red Green Show.  I used to fly 172's, and judging by the cabin rear, it doesn't seem to be a 172.  

Assuming I'd have to go with 1/48, what would best simulate the type shown here?  

Apologies for the poor quality pics, just snapped them from the TV screen....

mDwXpz3.jpg

n6jVuoM.jpg

3a8U5nb.jpg

cjH5i1U.jpg

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy

It's quite toy like, but I like them...I recommend re-scribing, remove the door hinges...well there's quite a bit to do but it can be done. Here's a couple of images of the 4-5 I've built. One converted to a 182;

z8RrDjf.jpg

GUhnT7J.jpg

8hvprjq.jpg

These are Skywagon versions of the same kit, the yellow one converted to a 185 G the red one a 180 and the teal/silver is basically out of the box with the main gear moved back and nose wheel added (all parts stolen from other 180 kits)

Hope that helps you?

• Like 3

It does very much, thank you! Really came out quite the treats!

I won't just be removing the door hinges, but the doors themselves, and a lot of scratchbuilding inside, to show the complete disarray the character would have had it.  Would you judge the interior to be adequate enough with some scratchbuilding, or is it just toylike in that department?

The interior is nearly respectable. The seats and floor are good, it should have a back wall to the cabin and the instrument panel needs lovin'.  If you're really fussy the roof of the cabin (wing center section) is crowned and should be flat (viewed from the front) I cut the roof off mine and replace it with plastic sheet as a new roof....and smash formed windscreens... But again, only if it bothers you. 

Hope that helps?

I've got to ask, since they are apparently long out of production, but where do you usually find yours?  The 'Bay? 

I'm asking because at the moment I could get one for $35 USD including shipping, but no idea what would be considered a decent price today.

They are out of production but come back up every few years. I’ve bought a arm load at the local hobby shop with that in mind a few years ago. However, they do come up on eBay and other online seller sights fairly often.

I did a quick look and found one on eBay currently for sale in the USA:

Monogram 0026M0100 Sport Plane Cessna 180 1994 Kit Box Sealed
he’s asking about $50.00 for it which is reasonable considering the box is the original art, sealed and the (rare) float version.

you may be able to find them less expensive if you look around. But make sure you get the float plane version as the wheeled one will be of no use to you (comes with a bathing beauty holding a set of water skis and a cool dude in “Buddy Holley” sun glasses)

Kewl, so the $35 I'm seeing is a ringer of a deal then? I wasn't sure....great!

This post was for gathering research before actually commencing, but I might have to do the purchase now....

True! Although I only need one, and apparently this one comes with two, one of which I believe I can adapt for what I need.  If not, a 1/48 figure might work, especially since I believe the actor featured (Peter Wildman) is much shorter than the 6' military pilot figure standard.