HKM 1/48 B-17G - The Swoose 15th AF

On 9/9/2020 at 4:44 PM, general melchett said:

The aerial line is Uschi Van der Rostern 'Standard'. 

Fantastic job on the Fort mate, hopefully get up to you at some point to have a proper gander, love the weathering, looks about right for the time and conditions these old birds worked under.

Thanks mate, I couldn’t remember what it was, it comes on a little steel bobbin. Yes, welcome over, I wish this flu would blow over!

thanks for all the kind comments everyone, I think the Fort has quite a following!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around these parts for a while so have only just seen this - WOW!

What a beautiful job, Neil - it looks right in every way. Weathering for a high-time Italian-theatre Fort is absolutely spot on - great too see the oil stains going around the wing vents rather than from them, too! :)

One of the best B-17 models I have seen in a long, long time. I hope to see it in the 'flesh' one day.

Tom

• Like 1

Outstanding! 

The weathering is no way too excessive. It's perfect. 

I have been watching a History Channel documentary called  Cold Blue. It's restored colour film used in the making of the film 1944 Memphis Belle. You can see in many shots just how  B17s  weathered. Engine oil etc etc. Your model  is spot on in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 7:27 PM, tomprobert said:

I haven't been around these parts for a while so have only just seen this - WOW!

What a beautiful job, Neil - it looks right in every way. Weathering for a high-time Italian-theatre Fort is absolutely spot on - great too see the oil stains going around the wing vents rather than from them, too! :)

One of the best B-17 models I have seen in a long, long time. I hope to see it in the 'flesh' one day.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll have to get it out to a show one day...if we ever have them again and if I can find a table that will accept it! I'm not aware of a group that includes 9th AF.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:07 AM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Outstanding! 

The weathering is no way too excessive. It's perfect. 

I have been watching a History Channel documentary called  Cold Blue. It's restored colour film used in the making of the film 1944 Memphis Belle. You can see in many shots just how  B17s  weathered. Engine oil etc etc. Your model  is spot on in my opinion.

Thanks. I was watching that very recently, one of the best documentaries I've seen, great inspiration :)

18 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Tom, I'll have to get it out to a show one day...if we ever have them again and if I can find a table that will accept it! I'm not aware of a group that includes 9th AF.

Thanks. I was watching that very recently, one of the best documentaries I've seen, great inspiration :)

Absolutely agree. I test streaming services as a job for NowTV and i've used this as a test programme! I must have watched it 20 times in past few weeks. 

I don't live too far from RAF Bassingbourn where it was filmed with the 91st Bomb Group. The colour was restored digitally during the making of this documentary but i'm prepared to accept that the colours are true to life in this film. 

The interviews with the remaining veterans were very emotional, forceful and ultimately humbling. None of them were anything other than modest and unassuming. They had a dignity and presence that is worthy of our respect. 

You got the supercharger exhaust colours spot on and the ailiron / elevators with a slightly different colour shade to the main OD was observed too! Just brilliant! 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

OUTSTANDING Neil!!!!!  Everything about your B-17 is made with flawless perfection.  I am duly impressed as are many others and rightfully so!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 20:21, stoohoo said:

Thats the difficulty with weathering, when to stop 😀 Sure the real things were caked in mud but I think less is more just to create the illusion of wear, tear and muck without overpowering the model and I think you have nailed it! It certainly makes me want to have a go at a 48 scale fort, always been tempted by a YB-40, though something from Bassingbourn feels fitting as its only a couple of villages away from where I grew up. So whats next?

I lived for a period in Royston so I'm partial to a Bassingbourne 91st BG ship as well. May I suggest Meat Hound? Or 9-0-9 ? I think Memphis Belle has had enough attention. The William Wyler colour filmed documentary about the Belle has been digitally restored and is a History Channel documentary called Cold Blue.Theres some great footage of Bassingbourne and lots of identifiable ships for inspiration! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

I lived for a period in Royston so I'm partial to a Bassingbourne 91st BG ship as well. May I suggest Meat Hound? Or 9-0-9 ? I think Memphis Belle has had enough attention. The William Wyler colour filmed documentary about the Belle has been digitally restored and is a History Channel documentary called Cold Blue.Theres some great footage of Bassingbourne and lots of identifiable ships for inspiration! 

Thanks for the heads up I will definitely look out for that documentary 👍 I grew up in Melbourn in the 80s and 90s so Royston was my local town and Bassingbourn just a couple of villages away. Always keen to do something with a local connection, got a Fowlmere based 19 sqn spitfire on the to do list for the same reason 😀 Sorry Woody, not meaning to hijack your brilliant thread!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Thanks for the heads up I will definitely look out for that documentary 👍 I grew up in Melbourn in the 80s and 90s so Royston was my local town and Bassingbourn just a couple of villages away. Always keen to do something with a local connection, got a Fowlmere based 19 sqn spitfire on the to do list for the same reason 😀 Sorry Woody, not meaning to hijack your brilliant thread!

I was living in Orchard road Royston 86 to 88! Saw a rather good sort of relic hunters programme too with Suggs from Madness where they did a dig at Fowlmere. Love Spits too!

17 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Not at all, I'm rather envious of that. Growing up in the northwest UK, there was very little WWII history apart from Burtonwood which was local to me but very little left then and nothing now. 

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, Cees Broere said:

The best I have seen so far. Well done.

Yeah,yeah,yeah !!!!  Nevertheless outline-wise (!) the RM remains standard setting.

• Like 1

Glad this resurfaced as I missed it the first time around.  Just a beautifully done B-17.  The weathering is heavy, but not in a very unrealistic way,  The only thing I couldn't understand about the weathering was why the nose turret was so clean in regards to the rest of the plane.  Seems like there might be a little more gun residue to match the rest of the finish.  Otherwise, just so well done I'm envious.  I have too many Monogram/Revell kits to do to justify getting the 1/48 HK, but I do have the 1/32 lurking around to be built.  Thanks for sharing this the second time around.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 12:17 PM, PlaStix said:

:wow: :wow:  :wow:

Utterly, utterly superb modelling!!!

:worthy:  :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :)

19 hours ago, ABeck said:

Yeah,yeah,yeah !!!!  Nevertheless outline-wise (!) the RM remains standard setting.

In terms of accuracy, agree, however this kit goes together beautifully, lovely surface detail and clear parts. The only glaring error in my opinion is the outer nacelles being about 3mm too high 😞

19 hours ago, georgeusa said:

Glad this resurfaced as I missed it the first time around.  Just a beautifully done B-17.  The weathering is heavy, but not in a very unrealistic way,  The only thing I couldn't understand about the weathering was why the nose turret was so clean in regards to the rest of the plane.  Seems like there might be a little more gun residue to match the rest of the finish.  Otherwise, just so well done I'm envious.  I have too many Monogram/Revell kits to do to justify getting the 1/48 HK, but I do have the 1/32 lurking around to be built.  Thanks for sharing this the second time around.

Thanks George. I hadn't really noticed a great deal of weathering around the front turret on photo's in general so you've got me curious, I'll have to take a look for my next B-17. Most of the under surface weathering was mud thrown up from the UC on the wet Italian airfields, going off the real photo's, I've probably under done it too!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 4

Simply magnificent Neil! Your weathering is among the best I have seen. What’s your next B-17? A 1/48th B-17D The Swoose, would look nice parked alongside.

Cheers

Jeff