HKM 1/48 B-17G - The Swoose 15th AF

5 hours ago, woody37 said:

I remember because it was in my last year of college where I monopolised the dining room table in our student digs in Thames Ditton!

Blimey, I'd have been laughed out of my place. It was ok to paint your face, spike your hair and dress like a clown, but build a plastic model...?! ('Twas the 80s tho..) 😀

Anyway, superb B-17. One of the best I've seen.

• Haha 1

Like everyone else has said, outstanding, superb, etc, etc !!!

I think you have to do some 'decent' weathering on these larger scales, otherwise they look just too plain (no pun intended!), that's why I stick to 1/72nd🙂

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

I like it very much! And it´s a 15th AF for diversion and not again an 8th AF scheme, thanks for that. :clap::worthy:

Good looking paintjob and weathering!

And you got the oil streaks correct in the hot air outlet areas of the upper wings :thumbsup:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

Great job.  👍👍  It looks BIG! 

Frank had a daughter with whom you might be familiar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swoosie_Kurtz

Thanks. I’ve never heard of her tbh, but had a look through her films and never watched them either which explains it

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

The best I have seen so far. Well done.

Thanks mate, looking forwards to seeing your big Manchester engines taking shape 

5 hours ago, Matt B said:

I agree with the others who say this is one of the best weathering jobs on a Fort.  Very realistic for a war weary bird.

What’s your method for the aerials?

Thanks Matt. I used some stretchy stuff I got from Telford a few years ago that @general melchett recommended. Andy, can you remember what that stuff is called and who I got it from?

3 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Question: did you add rivet detail?  It’s outstanding! 

No, that’s all straight out of the box, one of the reasons I prefer this kit :)

cheers

• Thanks 1

Beautiful build Neil, glad to see that you are maintaining your high standards! The faded paint and general weathering are superb, and appropriate for a war weary machine like this. It's a real treat to look at.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I used some stretchy stuff I got from Telford a few years ago that general melchett recommended. Andy, can you remember what that stuff is called and who I got it from?

The aerial line is Uschi Van der Rostern 'Standard'. 

Fantastic job on the Fort mate, hopefully get up to you at some point to have a proper gander, love the weathering, looks about right for the time and conditions these old birds worked under.

Edited by general melchett
  • Thanks 1

I've followed this in the WIP forum and have felt your pain during the decision to mask and repaint.  Your weathering is superb - Love to see representations of hard-working aircraft that have been used and abused.  👍

• Like 1

Holy .... Neil, that weathering is nothing short of spectecular. It's definitely not overdone, these birds could get quite filthy and you've really managed to get it exactly right. And a 👍 for doing an 15th AF bird, most of the time you see "Mighty 8" examples so this is a nice change.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1