HKM 1/48 B-17G - The Swoose 15th AF

48 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

Superb build and finish. Captured the wear and tear perfectly IMO. What is next?

Thanks Colin. Not sure tbh, possibly a 1/48 fighter but the more I look at the stash, the more confused I get!

3 minutes ago, stoohoo said:

Amazing work Woody, loved watching this one come together. The weathering looks absolutely in scale and really adds depth to a superb model. Hats off to you!

Thanks mate, I dare say I could of gone for more underneath looking at photo's but I was afraid of overdoing it.

Cheers

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Colin. Not sure tbh, possibly a 1/48 fighter but the more I look at the stash, the more confused I get!

Thanks mate, I dare say I could of gone for more underneath looking at photo's but I was afraid of overdoing it.

Cheers

Thats the difficulty with weathering, when to stop 😀 Sure the real things were caked in mud but I think less is more just to create the illusion of wear, tear and muck without overpowering the model and I think you have nailed it! It certainly makes me want to have a go at a 48 scale fort, always been tempted by a YB-40, though something from Bassingbourn feels fitting as its only a couple of villages away from where I grew up. So whats next?

Edited by stoohoo
  • Like 1

Absolutely outstanding finish. One of the finest on these pages. The shade of OD and grey is perfect for scale and theatre. The exhaust stains are straight look superb.  Not enough superlatives in the dictionary to describe this. 

• Like 1

Nothing excessive about the weathering at all. Radial engines threw oil and the engine exhaust stained the areas behind them. Your model is a picture of perfection. Congratulations!

• Like 1

Fantastic model of the B17, a certain modeller on the web who likes the black basing method says this kit is unbuildable, shows with the right skills that's not correct, master class of how to do it with the WIP

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Thats the difficulty with weathering, when to stop 😀 Sure the real things were caked in mud but I think less is more just to create the illusion of wear, tear and muck without overpowering the model and I think you have nailed it! It certainly makes me want to have a go at a 48 scale fort, always been tempted by a YB-40, though something from Bassingbourn feels fitting as its only a couple of villages away from where I grew up. So whats next?

11 hours ago, Josip said:

Is there anything else to add? 

Not really. 

Just splendid work and deserved congratulations. 

Josip

Thanks for giving me a [push on the weathering, it took me outside my comfort zone but I'm quite happy with how it turned out :)

10 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Beautiful work Neil!

Superb weathering and colour chipping :goodjob:. I have still a lot to learn...

Cheers,

Antti

Me too, I'm constantly learning, especially on biggish projects lie this, even just planning the build stages out takes some thought.

1 hour ago, Rakovica said:

Spectacular, IMO the best HK 1/48 Fort built publically so far, and among the best built in any scale ever. Also a great decision to do a weathered 15th AF bird.

I'm happy that I was able to help a little bit. 🙂

Thanks for your support throughout, I want to do some more research on the 15th AF now, it's got me hooked :)

35 minutes ago, colin said:

Fantastic model of the B17, a certain modeller on the web who likes the black basing method says this kit is unbuildable, shows with the right skills that's not correct, master class of how to do it with the WIP

Unbuildable? The wing connection lugs need a bit of fettling and the top fuselage requires care to avoid obvious joins, but other than that, it's a well fitting kit. The clear parts just fall into place. Even little design features like separate gun barrels allow for the internals to be closed up and masked off for painting so that you can add the surface detail at a later stage. If they bring an F model out, I'll be building one of them too. It would of taken much longer to build the Monogram kit to this standard IMO and even then, the surface finish wouldn't be anywhere close to what you get out of the box with HKM. That's not a criticism of the Monogram kit however, it's a classic that I built as a kid with fond memories, but things have moved on.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys, the last Fort I build was the Hasegawa kit in 1991! I remember because it was in my last year of college where I monopolised the dining room table in our student digs in Thames Ditton!