The Birkie Beast

Des

Vehicle modelling is not an area with which I am very familiar but the following images might be of interest to some.

I was looking through some older images from ‘Wings & Wheels’ events that used to be held by the Montrose Airfield Museum and came across these from July 2006 which seems to be the last event in that format that I have anything from.   

I probably imagined at the time it was some variation of the Land Rover Forward Control series however on looking a bit further this week it turns out that it was the single example of a prototype 8x8 built by James Reid (Birkhill) back in 1985.     I am not particularly up on the technical side of vehicle matters (managing to pour ‘Ad Blue’ into my current car after two and a half years was a major step forward for me) but some of the mechanical background can be found here   -  http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/7th-september-1985/29/ii-terrain-birkie-beast-in-esarcos-tracks - which is the only on-line reference that jumped out at me.

p?i=704e87cac259d2d56831bed6df23f0c0

p?i=fb960975d5999fba0532e62b4d920fe9

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...