Sea Vixen Wing fold question

FAAFAN

I know this has probably been asked and answered a dozen times.  Is there a standard  color and/or shade for the wingfold on the Sea Vixen FAW2? I did a scimitar (same era) with the interior fold surfaces green.  I have seen models built up with green, white and a sort of medium sea gray on the inner surfaces.. And speaking of colors, Airfix color callout calls for blue-gray landing gear and wells.  Any specific color?  I was thinking more of a light sea gray from the photos I have seen....Thanks- bob

The medium sea grey colour is about right, might be called admiralty grey not sure.  There were periods when different protective coatings were tried on FAA aircraft and in those times the fold areas can look to have a red, or a greeny gold translucent finish.

Early FAW1 aircraft had a yellow protective coat wheel& wells ,airbrake inner ,wing fold . This changed to light Admiralty Gray in all those areas . Humbrol 87 steel blue gray is very close .

When I built my Naval Aviation 'Set' I found that two Vallejo colours were close to photographs of the required Light Admiralty Grey and I have used both as variant colours in the Buccaneer wheel wells and the Sea Vixen wingfold

Vallejo 70.907 Pale Grey Blue and 70.973 Light Sea Grey were the suitable colours, this is 70.973

P1010869.jpg

• Like 2