Folland Gnat - Airfix - 1/72

Hi All,

This is a model I built two years ago but did not happen to post here since then.

IMG_7714

A very well known kit so probably no need to describe construction much. I used quite a bit of aftermarket stuff including Pavla cockpit, SBS wheels, Master pitot tube (kit's part is awful) and an excellent S&M decal sheet. 

Not much assembling issues. I read about potentially troubling wing to fuselage fit so took enough care to make sure everything sits right. Pavla resin went in surprisingly easy. Main undercarriage is designed to be glued in place at a very early stage. I opted not to do that. In order to be able to squeeze undercarriage into placement holes at a later stage, I had to heavily cut locating pins so that undercarrige drives to the places okay. 

IMG_7586 IMG_7599 IMG_7614

I chose Red Arrows scheme from the mid 70s from S&M sheet. This sheet allows to build any Gnat in RAF service. A must have for a Gnat fan :) Colours on tail are painted. Stencils are from the kit's decal. Red paint I used is Hobby Color Flat Red. Finished in several layers of Future. 

Mods I had to do to make a display team Gnat were addition of smoke pipes next to the exhaust and skipping fuel tanks. 

IMG_7735 IMG_7724 IMG_7744 IMG_7748

Lastly - couple shots of my three RAF trainers in collection so far. Vampire and JP were posted here earlier. 

IMG_7755 IMG_7774

All the best!

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
Spell check
  • Like 47

Thanks, folks, for nice comments! 

17 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nice work, what a great collection!

On 07/09/2020 at 03:43, Bangor Lad said:

Lovely build and a nice addition to your collection.

18 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Fantastic collections

Yeah, I like trainer aircraft and plan to further grow this collection. I already have CT-133 and Vultee Valiant on the shelf and Harrier T.8 can probably count toward trainers too.

Some kits in my stash include F9F-8T, T-2C, L-29, MiG-15UTI, Magister, Chipmunk... So some more to build. Great that kit producers start to pay more attention to this theme!

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Totally awesome Gnat!  The red finish is outstanding!

Hi, and thank you!

Couple comments on the red finish.

From past experience I knew that red is a very delicate colour that requires homogenous primer to avoid strong colour variations (unless you actually desire it). Secondly, Red Arrow Gnats had a very consistent red finish so smooth colour was a must. Thirdly, I also knew the red is best applied over white primer rather than over typical grey so that the colour is brighter and is not changed with thinner paint layer. 

So my approach was to prepaint exhaust, silver parts, and blue on the tail over some grey primer, then I covered everything with white primer to get homogenous surface (and get a white stripe on the tail) and then applied red. Exactly same approach was adopted on my Jet Provost where the red was the last colour applied over white. 

No wash at all since Airfix has very deep and wide panel lines and dark wash would destroy the model. Existing panel lines look more pronounced on real model than on shots. 

Lastly I found red more difficult to photo too! I spent some time fixing white balance. Getting right focus on the red thing was more complex too. 

Dennis

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Yeah, very small dimensionally and sits very low on the ground which makes it look even smaller. 

By contrast, a 7 or 8 step platform was required for viewing the Hunter T.7 pit but the Gnat was a bathroom stoolto see inside! 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Very nicely done!

I have this in my stash.  I’ll look into the aftermarket parts you mentioned when I come to do it.

Hi,

I looked up my records and edited wheels manufacturer name in the first post. Wheels are from SBS not Reskit.

Wheels and pitot tube are cheap, easy and quick replacements for kit parts so definitely recommended. Interior is not seen too much, except for ejection seats which are definitely an improvement over kit's offer. 

Dennis

• Like 1