Masking Sheets (A.MIG-8043)

Mike

Masking Sheets (A.MIG-8043)

AMMO of Mig Jiménez

boxtop.jpg

If you’ve ever wished that you could get larger sizes and bigger areas of kabuki-style masking material, wider than 40mm that’s available on rolls, you’re about to have your wish granted.  AMMO have released this new set of five sheets in a clear foil bag with branding over-printed, and a stated size of 280x195mm written in yellow on the front.  The bag is resealable, which will allow you to keep the dust out, and other than that there’s not an awful lot to say, other than to extoll the virtues of Kabuki tape, which is a paper-based washi tape that gets its name from Kabuki theatre, where it is presumably used on the paper figures and backdrops.  It is a low tack tape that can last years in position on your model without leaving any residue (I’ve done this in the past), is flexible so that it can conform to curved surfaces well, and you can burnish it down to reduce the likelihood of paint creeping under the edge, although not hoofing too much paint on a masked model is still the best way to avoid creep.

Having played around with it for a while, it might be wise to peel larger sheets of masking material off the backing paper before drawing out or transferring your design, applying it to a flat surface such as a mirror or a spare tile to finish preparation.  Peeling the paper off a very complex design may cause a few more grey hairs as well as risking puckering the edges with the resultant stretching and potential lack of adhesion.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Is this similar to the tamiya sheets?

On the face of it, yes.

38 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Didn’t know it is called kabuki. I guess you could run it through a printer?

It is.  Also called Washi tape, and the generic product is basically a paper tape with a low tack adhesive.  I know that Galaxy Model run their sheets through a computerised cutter to make the individual masks, and a printer for the sheet & mask numbers, but I'd be a bit cautious myself, especially if the paper path of your printer is quite tortuous, as I can remember having a few mailing labels come off a sheet and wrap themselves around the printer's drum adhesive-side down many years ago.  It was not a nice experience, and I think the printer later died of its injuries.  On your own head be it ;)

2 hours ago, Mike said:

On the face of it, yes.

It is.  Also called Washi tape, and the generic product is basically a paper tape with a low tack adhesive.  I know that Galaxy Model run their sheets through a computerised cutter to make the individual masks, and a printer for the sheet & mask numbers, but I'd be a bit cautious myself, especially if the paper path of your printer is quite tortuous, as I can remember having a few mailing labels come off a sheet and wrap themselves around the printer's drum adhesive-side down many years ago.  It was not a nice experience, and I think the printer later died of its injuries.  On your own head be it ;)

Good to know, more options the better.

I have used Tamiya sheet through an Epson printer to create a mask for the splinter scheme on a Saab Viggen.  You really have to leave the ink over night to let it fix to the paper before you use it, If you do it earlier then the ink can rub off.  As Mike says,check out your printer's paper path first, but full sheets should be no problem.

• Thanks 1