USAF tail codes

Lord Riot

I was reading an article about the 81st TFW where it said that the AR tailcode stood for Alconbury Recon. That makes sense, but why WR for Woodbridge/Bentwaters and not WB?

And what does the N stand for in LN; 'nuclear' perhaps? LH would make more sense.

Similarly, BT (Bitburg), why not BB, or following Alconbury logic, BF for Bitburg Fighter?

Anyone have a definitive list/answer? I've often wondered actually. 

• Like 1

I don't know the official reasons, but back in the old days when they just started using tailcodes in USAFE, the first letter represented the base or wing, and the second letter was for one of the squadrons. So Bentwaters/Woodbridge had WR, WS and WT, for instance, and Bitburg BR, BS, BT and BU over the years, Lakenheath had LT, LR and LS in their F-100 days, and later changed to first LK and shortly thereafter LN on the F-4D's. Alconbury also first had AR, AS and AT, so even if AR (unofficially?) stood for Alconbury Recce, it wasn't always like that.

At some point they just went with one code per base, and maybe they just picked one they already had and was found the most fitting.

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 1

During 1970 the USAFE emulated the PACAF standard tail code system.  The first letter of the tail code represented the wing, usually duplicating the parent base name.  The second letter designated the squadron.  The letters R, S, T, U and V designated within USAFE to avoid duplication of majority tail codes utilized by TAC and PACAF units. 

for example:

A - AR, AS, AT   1, 30, 32 TRS              10 TFW              RAF Alconbury

L - LR, LS, LT    492, 493, 494 TFS          48 TFW              RAF Lakenheath

There were two exceptions to R, S, T, U and V system.  First, the 401 TFW using J, K and L as second letters.  This due to the TS and TT tail codes in prior usage by the 22 and 602 SOS. 

On the first of April 1972, the tail code system changed with USAFE  with the implementation of AFM66-1, wing maintenance concept.  As a result, the single two-letter tail code now designated entire wing.  The 48 TFW started with the LK tail code, before switching to LN during F-4D conversion. 

There is a book on all of this....

Tail Code - United States Air Force - Distinctive Unit Aircraft Identification Markings

there was also a USN/USMC book - Hook Code

PM

• Like 3

As the previous posters have alluded, it's somewhat misleading to say the second letters in the wing codes "stand for" anything specific, although generally the codes adopted show some degree of logic in that most use letters common to the assigned base name, or in a few rare cases have some other historic significance.

This "logical except where it's not" system has to some degree been true even as tailcodes have shuffled units/bases, been deleted, and in some cases been newly created as TAC, SAC, and MAC gave way to ACC and AMC.  A few notable examples that don't follow the "pattern":

AD:  3246th Test Wing, Eglin AFB, Florida

"Armament Division" - this wing (defunct since 1992) performed weapons testing for TAC types; a similar role is still served by the 53rd Test & Evaluation Group at Nellis and Eglin (OT = "Operational Test")

FT:  23rd Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia (previously Pope AFB, North Carolina)

"Flying Tigers" - the USAF wing that claims direct lineage from the legendary American Volunteer Group.  Prior to 1992 the 23rd was based at England AFB, Louisiana (EL code), where they flew A-7Ds before the current A-10s.

GA:  35TFW, George AFB ("GA" is the traditional abbreviation for Georgia, but George AFB is in California, on the opposite side of the country!  After the 35th TFW disbanded [number reassigned to the former 432TFW - see WW below] the code has been used intermittently by the Georgia ANG, F-15As at Dobbins AFB and E-8Cs at Robins AFB).

WW:  35th Wing (Misawa Japan) - formerly the 432nd TFW, when the F-4G Wild Weasels of the 35th TFW (and 37th TFW before it) were retired, the prestigious "WW" Weasel code was passed on along with the 35th number plate to the F-16CJs at Misawa.

ZZ:  18th Wing, Kadena, Okinawa

Long story on this one, found here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For USAFE I also come forward with 

AV - Aviano : fits somehow in the system

SP - Spangdalem: does not fit

TJ- Torrejon - does not fit

So actually only the first letter really seems to be significant... somehow ;)

Interesting topic. I was thinking about the 32nd TFS that was based at Soesterberg in the Netherlands and which carried the tail code CR. Apparently the C stood for Camp New Amsterdam which was the name given to the part of the Dutch base from where the USAF operated.

Is that book Tail Code worth getting? I'm imagining that it is probably just a list of codes and serials, so maybe not a riveting read. Just a very occasional reference book?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Filler said:

Is that book Tail Code worth getting? I'm imagining that it is probably just a list of codes and serials, so maybe not a riveting read. Just a very occasional reference book?

Hell yes !!!!!   It's a fantastic book ! Lots of exclusive photographs and an incredible amount of history.

1 hour ago, Haydn said:

Hell yes !!!!!   It's a fantastic book ! Lots of exclusive photographs and an incredible amount of history.

I don't own the Tail Code book myself, but browsed it on the shelves of a LHS (sadly now defunct) on more than one occasion and just never had the budget for it.  If you've enjoyed this thread I'm sure you'd find the book interesting. 

One thing to note is that unless there's been a new edition produced, the book only covers up to 1991 so the massive reorganization of the USAF post-Desert Storm isn't covered.  This actually added more two-letter codes on a larger variety of types than existed 1972-1992, as prior to 1992 most if not all SAC (bombers and tankers), MAC (airlifters), trainers, and ANG types wore unit markings but not tailcodes as such.

Edited by CT7567

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

For USAFE I also come forward with 

AV - Aviano : fits somehow in the system

SP - Spangdalem: does not fit

TJ- Torrejon - does not fit

So actually only the first letter really seems to be significant... somehow ;)

Read the fourth posting on the topic on why TJ was an exception - lots has changed since 1991.  With the April 1972 change - the reasons for the second letter changed.  As a result, the single two-letter tail code now designated entire wing.  This new common wing tail code, usually already used within the wing, applied during the later half of 1972.  The initial wing code assignment noted as:

AR  10 TRW  1, 30, 32 TRS       RAF Alconbury

BT  36 TFW  22, 53, 525 TFS        Bitburg AB, Germany

HR  50 TFW  10, 313, 496 TFS  Hahn AB, Germany

LK   48 TFW  492, 493, 493 TFS RAF Lakenheath

RS  26 TRW  38 TRS, 526 TFS        Ramstein AB, Germany

SP  52 TFW  23, TFS, 39 TEWS    Spangdahlem AB, Germany

TJ   401 TFW  612, 613, 614 TFS Torrejon AB, Spain

UH  20 TFW  55, 77, 79 TFS        RAF Upper Heyford

WR  81 TFW  78, 91, 92 TFS        RAF Bentwaters

ZR  86 TFW  17 TRS              Zweibrucken AB, Germany

The 48 TFW started with the LK tail code, before switching to LN during F-4D conversion.  In January 1973 several inter wing changes occurred including the 26 TRW and 86 TFW switched bases and tail codes RS and ZR.  The 32 TFS maintained the CR tail code after AFM66-1.

Patrick Martin - Tail Code

• Like 2

There used to be an old USAF legend about Kadena's "ZZ" tail code. "Z" being the last letter  of the alphabet and the 18th Wing's emblem being a chicken (or rooster), word was that this was due to an unfortunate or embarrasing/disgraceful incident that took place during the Korean War. The legend also stated that the 18th Wing could never be reassigned to a CONUS base because of this.

Take it for what it is - old USAF lore as related to me some 40 years ago by some senior NCO. But it's an interesting (and mostly forgotten) bit of legend. 

36 minutes ago, Slater said:

There used to be an old USAF legend about Kadena's "ZZ" tail code. "Z" being the last letter  of the alphabet and the 18th Wing's emblem being a chicken (or rooster), word was that this was due to an unfortunate or embarrasing/disgraceful incident that took place during the Korean War. The legend also stated that the 18th Wing could never be reassigned to a CONUS base because of this.

Care to elaborate a bit more?

Seems they had to reteat/ abandon their airfield near Pyonyang, but else?

What I was told (again, many years ago) was that the pilots/aircrew took off in their aircraft, abandoning the ground personnel to their fate, which was eventual execution by the North Koreans and/or Chinese.

I haven't found this written anywhere, but I haven't done any research into the matter.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Slater said:

Take it for what it is - old USAF lore as related to me some 40 years ago by some senior NCO. But it's an interesting (and mostly forgotten) bit of legend. 

Mildly entertaining, but 100% hogwash.

See my link above for the factual story of how the "ZZ" code was assigned. And note that this didn't happen until 1975, while the unit's "fighting rooster" heraldry was adopted in 1931.

Is there a similar tall tale in the RAF about 43 Squadron?

Edited by CT7567

3 minutes ago, Slater said:

What I was told (again, many years ago) was that the pilots/aircrew took off in their aircraft, abandoning the ground personnel to their fate, which was eventual execution by the North Koreans and/or Chinese.

I haven't found this written anywhere, but I haven't done any research into the matter.

I appreciate that you're just repeating a "tall tale" as relayed to you at some point, but since it should now be clear this is fiction, I would respectfully ask you to desist in the retelling.

27 minutes ago, CT7567 said:

Certainly at Wildenrath in late 80's a similar story was around 60Sqn never being allowed back to the UK after abandoning Groundcrew out in the Far East in WW II.  Don't if it was true or not though.

1 hour ago, CT7567 said:

Whilst at RAF Gutersloh it was said that 3 Sqn could not return t the UK, due to leaving ground crew to their fate when leaving France in WW2. Obviously that must have changed as 3 Sqn now operates the Typhoon from somewhere in the UK.

I can't imagine any aircrew would just leave their mates on the ground like those stories purport. If there are serviceable aircraft then use them to fight the enemy and protect your mates. RAF and USAF never run away.

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I can't imagine any aircrew would just leave their mates on the ground like those stories purport. If there are serviceable aircraft then use them to fight the enemy and protect your mates. RAF and USAF never run away.

Happened more than once in RAF history, afterall when a unit is ordered to fly the aircraft out, the pilots fly the aircraft out. It is then responsibility of the commands to evacuate the groundcrews, something that in some cases could not be done completely.

In any case it would not be something to blame on the pilots or the rest of the unit, orders are orders and in certain cases evacuating the aircraft quickly was the best thing to do. Afterall how could say a fighter squadron carry the groundcrew with them ? There have been cases of pilots cramming more than one person in a single seat fighters, but it's not something always feasible

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Filler said:

I agree with what others have said, it is sure worth having. It is a goldmine of information with a lot of pictures. At the same time it isn't one of those books that you'll read for pages at a time to enjoy a story, it is indeed more of a reference book that you'll likely consult whenever you need that certain information. I would not call it "occasional" reference though, personally it is one of those books I end up checking quite often. The appendix also includes drawings with the offficial size and location of the tail codes and serial numbers taken from the relevant T.O.1-1-4 issues, that is another bonus for the modeller.

On 9/6/2020 at 7:52 AM, Haydn said:

Hell yes !!!!!

Took the words out of my mouth! It has come in handy on numerous occasions- well worth having if you are going to be building a lot of USAF weenie cookers!

Mike

I give it four AIM-9's out of five! :giggle:

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:39 PM, PLC1966 said:

Certainly at Wildenrath in late 80's a similar story was around 60Sqn never being allowed back to the UK after abandoning Groundcrew out in the Far East in WW II.  Don't if it was true or not though.

Probably not as 60 Squadron are in the UK, RAF Shawbury, and part of the newly numbered 1FTS.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Just one more little bit of tail code info : When the 20th. TFW 's F - 111E's were first coded their tail codes were JR. JS and JT  !  🙂  :cheers:

I was going to mention that, I recall those also.

Terry