##Finished## Wot no wings ?

Well this is me completely out of the comfort zone !

634870-13652-75-pristine

Picture from Scalemates

I already have a flying thing in this GB so it's long overdue something that doesn't fly. I can't remember when I built anything other than an aircraft so this will make a nice change, however I will need some advice / hand holding along the way so don't go too far away ok ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 12

On 9/5/2020 at 9:23 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Well this is me completely out of the comfort zone !

634870-13652-75-pristine

Picture from Scalemates

I already have a flying thing in this GB so it's long overdue something that doesn't fly. I can't remember when I built anything other than an aircraft so this will make a nice change, however I will need some advice / hand holding along the way so don't go too far away ok ?

Cheers Pat

Great choice. If I recall correctly (and I think I do), this was the very, very, very, very first ESCI kit I built, in the late spring/early summer of 1981 - to be quickly followed by many more, on a near-weekly basis for the rest of the summer, each for the asking price of 97p. Halcyon days indeed. The Italeri reboxes that I have bought since then have the "hard" plastic track sections and links, but this probably has the original vinyl tracks.

By all accounts, this is a very accurate kit. In due course, I'll be joining you with some more ESCI armour from the Western Desert, both in support and in opposition ...

• Like 1

I remember ESCI, Hasegawa and Fujimi armour as my first forays away from Airfix/FROG back in the late 70s. I still have a Hetzer and  Panzer 38 built somewhere in the garage. Looking forward to seeing what's in the box and watching it get built! 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

to say that I am impressed is an understatement! Well done for daring!

This is actually quite simple: the pointy bit is mostly pointing forward. And no, you haven't lost the canopy!

So stop panicking and enjoy!!!

It is a shame they did not have 2 CV in the desert...

Cheers

JR

• Haha 3

The best thing, the absolute VERY best thing about building armour is that there are no canopies to mask. That and you can weather over the decals as heavily as you like. The two best things...

Looking forward to seeing this come together. I have vague memories of building this one back in my youth but they're so vague I can offer neither assistance nor comparison so you can have at it with impunity :D 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Can i ask a question please.

What colour do i paint the inside of the turret and the crew seats ?

I'm going to paint the outside like an airfix Matilda which includes blue paint, I mean whats not to like !

cheers Pat 

17 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Can i ask a question please.

What colour do i paint the inside of the turret and the crew seats ?

I'm going to paint the outside like an airfix Matilda which includes blue paint, I mean whats not to like !

cheers Pat 

I did mine white with brown leather seats last time I painted an interior. Google says I'm wrong and it should have been silver, with the inside of the hatches painted to match the exterior camo they'd rest on when they were open.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy really appreciated. 

Fortunately I have no shortage of Humbrol 11 especially as I need it for the Iraqi Breda, in this GB.

I'm really looking forward to building this one. 

I do hope my amateur tank building efforts don't upset the dedicated armour builders !

cheers Pat 

Ah, been reading some more, and Mike Starmer says I was almost right with the white but it should have been gloss for my 1944 tank.; it dependds on exactly when your Valentine is being depicted which one you decide to go for. More info here than you'd ever have thought possible.

British Vehicle Camo

Andy

• Thanks 1

First of all thank you very much to Graham for the heads up and Andy for the amazing link to a whole new world for me !

Below is the scheme I had intended to do, with colours references provided by Airfix.

IMG_5230

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around what to now substitute for these colours

Previous thoughts / references were 

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/airfix-enamel-paints-to-humbrol-conversion-chart-27472/?p=1/

M1=H70

M3=H30

M6 = H33

M14=H74

M25=H65

To stop my head bursting before I've even started:frantic: what would I substitute each of these colours for as I still wish my valentine to carry this type of camo.

I apologise for my lack of knowledge here, serves me right for not building an aircraft !

cheers Pat

As a recent convert back to armour generally and Allied armour in particular, I'm having fun here. That Mike Starmer link I posted has some suggestions on how to mix accurate colours for Humbrol paints, but I also found this which will get you in the right area with no mixing:

Hu 224 for Slate 34

Hu 121 for Light Stone 61

Hu 168 for Silver Grey 28

Andy

• Thanks 1

Cheers Andy

So if I use the painting guide picture of Matilda above

M14 = H61 ?

M25 = H168 ?

M3= H224  ?

Really appreciate your patience here, and yes anything to avoid mixing paints who has enough trouble applying them straight from the tin as it is !

Cheers Pat

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Andy

So if I use the painting guide picture of Matilda above

M14 = H121

M25 = H168

M3= H224 

That's my reading, yes 😊 The H168 stands in for the Silver Grey which replaces the light blue on the Matilda.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy, 

I have no idea where you are on our small planet but I definitely owe you a couple of beers if we ever meet up !

Whilst googling Valentines, and being very careful to avoid having a repeat of the infamous "Rub n Buff" incident ! I found this;

IMG_5235

From https://www.kingandcountry.com/valentine-tank-p-2533.html

So this will be my painting guide,I don't have any weathering "muck and bullets" so my valentine will be a new one !

I suppose I should get round to actually sticking something together ....

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

Result, Jockney 1 Carpet Monster 0, all wheels accounted for 👍

IMG_5237

Before you ask, I got the kit with the wheels already painted, probably too dark but, I'm sure will be fine once the tracks go on.

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sand skirts are a wonderful thing! If you had a look under the ones on my Grant, you would see an enormous blob of superglue with bicarbonate of soda thrown all over it to harden it, with the track ends overlapped and embedded within it, mechanically locked in by their teeth. It’s not pretty, but you can’t see it 🤫

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1