Which Scale do you model?

Having always been primarily 1/72 aircraft modeller I've just picked up a 1/48 Airfix Meteor for a change. I wondered if you guys stick to one scale or move around to suit your interest or subject? I've done one or two 1/48 and 1/144 models before (plus some 1/35 armour) but always keep coming back to 1/72 mainly due to space. I think I'd love to change over to 1/48 permanently for the smaller aircraft as they do seem to have much more 'presence' when built, but not sure I'd find the room for storage. Be interested to hear your thoughts.....

I've moved this to the Chat section, as it's not about the real aviation stuff that was intended for :)

In answer, I stick to 1:48 for aircraft with a few exceptions in 1:72 and 1:144 where it's impractical or impossible to get a kit of the type.  For armour I stick resolutely to 1:35, with ONE exception. The 1:72 Modelcollect P.1000 Ratte, which is the size of a 1:16 tank at that scale.  For cars (please don't tell anyone I've got a small collection of car models now), 1:24, and Sci-Fi seems to be 1:72 for the most part, but it gets quite eclectic due to the vagaries of real scales in Sci-Fi from human scale to planet scale. 1:48 Death Star?  Might be a bit large :hmmm:

• Like 1

1/72 for military jets or large prop aircraft like the Douglas C-47 Skytrain.

1/48 for anything prop based up to the size of a DH Mosquito.

1/144 for big subjects like the Avro Vulcan.

1/35 for tanks (although I've only done one).

Whatever scale Sc-Fi and tabletop wargaming models are in, although the less room they take up the better.

There are exceptions to the rule, for example I wouldn't do a 1/72 B-52.  That'd have to be 1/144 at least.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

For me 1/48 scale in aircraft, Smaller I cant see what I doing and larger, no room for(although I build that scale as a kid along with 1/35 armour sometime way back in the last century). I do have a few 1/72 scale bombers for research and 1/72 submarines smaller surface craft. Plastic ,resin, or vac doesn't much matter as far as media is concerned all are fun🤑 and sometimes more costly than I anticipate.

• Like 1

1/100, 1/72. 1/76 and 1/48 for armour, very rarely venture into 1/35 and if I do it doesn't tend to end well. 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 for aircraft.  All sorts of odd scales for figures but I do seem to be accumulating quite a lot of 28mm (1/56). 

Ultimately though it depends on subject, price, kit availability, special offers and most importantly, the phase of the moon. If I fancy it and can afford it then I buy it and worry about the scale later :)

Andy

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 3

I build civil airliners and stick firmly to 1/144 scale. Although the Hasegawa 1/200 airliner range is beautiful, 1/200 is too small for my ageing eyesight and many important airliners aren't kitted in 1/200 - the Comet and the BAC 1-11 spring to mind. 1/72 airliners can be very impressive but anything bigger than a DC-4 takes up a serious amount of space and there are relatively few good 1/72 airliner kits. 1/144 offers by far the best kit availability. It is big enough to be practical and allows plenty of scope for detailing while even a large model (777-300, 747 etc) is manageable.

• Like 1

Almost exclusively 1/72. I don't think there's a better scale for sheer breadth of subjects and is perfect for demonstrating size comparison. Put a Spitfire next to a Stirling (or maybe underneath it) and you'll see what I mean. While something like a B-36 is pushing the boundaries of what's practical, imagine trying to find room for a 1/48 one!

Another thing I love about 1/72 is that it's perfect for those who are interested in colours and markings and may end up with large  collections of built models. I know some favour detail over everything else, and that's fair enough, but I'll always be looking at the overall model rather than peering into the various orifices.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5

I’ll do almost anything, but lately ben sticking to 72 and 144. 24 and 25 for trucks. Had hopes of doing 72nd DC airliners from DC-1 through 10. Missed out on the 8 and 10s are big and expensive.

• Like 1

I try to stick to the same scale within each category I build so they are all comparable, with a few exceptions.

Aircraft - 1/72 currently, for space and cost of the kit.  I love that I can pick up quite a broad range of Airfix aircraft in 1/72 anywhere between £6.99 and £9.99 when I pop into my LHS.  I just see what he has on the shelf that looks fun to build.  Would love to build a 1/48 scale for the extra detail one day.

Cars/Trucks - 1/24, again fairly cost effective and a good size to display.  Although I've already broken that trend and picked up a 1/35 truck cab because at £16.99 it beats waiting until I can justify £50-60 on a 1/24 one.

Bikes - 1/12, the larger scale makes for bags of detail and a very fun build.

Gundam - 1/100 which are the Master Grade so bags of detail and huge part number counts, but they can be £40-80 depending on the kit.  The Bandai quality makes them totally worth it.  The dream would be a 1/60 Perfect Grade kit, but they run £100 up for the basic ones.

Other Sci-Fi stuff as Mike said is the grey area, I tend just just get the scale I can afford and have room to display for the subject in question.  This also applies to Maritime subjects.

Paul

• Like 1

Any scale, any subject, don't see the point of limiting my choices when there is so much good stuff out there.

• Like 3

As others also mentioned, I like related subjects in the same scale to show relative sizes.

My primary focus is 1/48 aircraft. But larger aircraft in 1/144.

Armor, spacecraft, and an LCM are also 1/48.

Small ships are 1/72.

• Like 1

Cars in 1/12, 1/24  or 1/8. The 1/24 are usually kits, some 1/12 are kits (and some scratch-built) 1/8 are Pocher or scratch-built...

• Like 1

My builds are exclusively armour/military trucks and the scales are always 1/35th and 1/48th, although I could be tempted by the 1/16th Stuart.

John.

• Like 1

For me it's more about the subject so if there's a decent model of a subject that I really like I'll go for that whatever the scale.

I do mostly stick to 1/72nd though.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much a single scale modeller, especially for aircraft, at 1/144th, even though I mostly build single seaters.

As well as the obvious size and cost benefits, unlike most posters above I actually enjoy the relatively niche nature of the scale. You can't get every prototype and every scheme and you certainly can't find them routinely in shops.

For one thing this does nicely restrain my spending, but I have come to enjoy hunting down out-of-production kits and improvising schemes from available decals. I have also found myself building aircraft I would never have expected to, simply because they are produced in 144th scale.

• Like 3

Exclusively 1/72nd scale for aircraft and 1/76th (UK 'OO') for railway related items. I do this mainly for space reasons and it is just a scale I feel comfortable with. Being short sighted means I can still see small stuff close up and it helps maintain fine motor control. 

• Like 2

Exclusively 1/72 WW II aircraft for me - primarily because of the range of aircraft available which I suspect will never be matched in any other scale. For me the collection is more important than the sum of the parts, and a constant scale is an important factor.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 5

Hmmm Im a bit all over the standard scales. Aircraft are 1/32, 1/48, 1/72 and may eventually get to 1/144 for large multi-engine bombers and transports. Armor is 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72. Sci-fi is 1/48, 1/72, and 1/144. Ships are in 1/700 & 1/350. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Most of the usual scales from 1/72 to 1/2500 aircraft/Sci-fi, not not much HO scale or smaller.

• Like 1

I have built in all scales but since return to the hobby have focused exclusively on 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 AFV. I find 1/48 a good size for the level of detail I like and for storage and displayI really enjoy the size and shape comparisons of building in one scale.  I have a problem now in that I want to build a RAAF Liberator. 1/48 is just that little too big. I might have to set a rule of allowing 1/72 for 4 engine heavies.

• Like 1

😁😁

Apostates!

56fbfcae888b16f4da7660e786512a92.jpeg

What could be more righteous than the 72nd scale !? 😁 Only 72nd, true and correct scale! 😁

All models of my collection are only in this scale, for all other scales are from the hell*😁.... Holly Matchbox, Airfix, FROG and re-incarnation of it NOVO, do not lead me into temptation, let me resist these other scales**!

😁😁😁

16 hours ago, Mike said:

ONE exception. The 1:72 Modelcollect P.1000 Ratte, which is the size of a 1:16 tank at that scale. 

😁😁

( in Russian translate, because original English version contains obscene words)

😁😁And now I understand what was basic for Russian comedy sketch show "Calambur" 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calambur

about  top secret wunderwaffe tank "Iron Kaput"***

😁😁

If seriously, 72nd scale because only on this scale can a collection be fully formed on the thematic of interest to me.

B.R.

Serge

*- because only there they could come up with smaller scales in order to deprive you of your sight, and only there could they come up with larger scales so that they would fill the entire space of your home and empty your wallet!

😁😁😁

** - I urgently need to throw out the only submarine I have at 1:350 and sink the plane at 1:144, the main thing is not to mix up and not start sinking the submarine and throw the plane into the air ... however, anything can be expected from this scale from the underworld:

😁😁

*** - "In the beginning of XX century in military laboratories of First Reichschmacht was created super secret tank which had military power and weaponry ahead of its time. For testing tank and not destroying Europe before given time, it was sent in Central Africa for taking over unruly Zusu (allusion on Zulu). After some time, for security reasons, everyone who knew about this project were eliminated and the tank was forgotten. Yet its fearless crew have not forgotten about their great mission and was ready to accomplish their duty. In the annals of history this secret project was called "Iron Kaput"."

😁😁

Fake scale model box art:

post-86361455-0-35959400-1511175808.jpg

But have paper model in 72nd scale:

97178980.jpg

Build model:

https://www.dishmodels.ru/gshow.htm?p=14649

• Like 1

For my part I've now standardised on the following:

Aircraft - 1/72

AFV's, softskins etc - 1/35

Ships - 1/700

I do have a small number of 1/48 aircraft kits in the stash although the only one I've built so far has been a Tamiya Spitfire Vb Trop and that was over 10 years ago. There's also a couple of 1/350 ship kits and a Revell 1/144 Type VIIC/41 U-Boat rounding out the maritime side plus a small number of Sci-Fi kits in various scales.

Mike.

• Like 1

Aircraft 1/72 unless large or just for fun 1/144.  Ships 1/700.  Military vehicles 1/76 but allowance for shortage of softskins means some 1/72.  If I was starting now I'd use 1/72, but with all the resins available there's almost no actual need to change.

• Like 1