23 Squadron Mosquito FB Mk VI

My entry for this GB will be the Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk VI, finished as HJ675 "YP-V" of 23 Squadron.  This squadron was posted to Luqa (Malta) in December 1942 with Mosquito NF II aircraft but transitioned to the FB Mk VI shortly before moving from there to Sigonella (Sicily) in September 1943.  One flight of the squadron was also at Pomigliano (near Naples) for most of the same period before 23 Sqn moved to Alghero (Sardinia) in December 1943, staying there until May 1944 when they moved back to England at Little Snoring.

20200905_161656

Apart from an Eduard cockpit etch this will be built OOTB, though I might invest in a set of masks as there is rather a lot of glass!

I've just finished reading "The Red Eagles - a History of 23 Squadron" but will need to re-read the section covering their time in the Mediterranean to decide exactly which weapons to use on this model.

As I've two Phantoms in the Vietnam GB and have just entered the Tornado GB, this one will probably be a few weeks before any real progress is made.  Oh yes, there's also the Interceptor GB where another two 23 Sqn aircraft may well make an appearance!

• Like 9

Welcome fortyEighter, fantastic choice I built this on a few years ago in a GB. Went together really well, definitely a good idea to get some paint masks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Welcome fortyEighter, fantastic choice I built this on a few years ago in a GB. Went together really well, definitely a good idea to get some paint masks.

I've read several reviews / builds that agree with your assessment of this kit - if it goes together anything like their F-14 it should be a pleasure to build.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Major sub-assemblies are now built:

20201009_162159

To aid painting I decided to cut off the axles from the main legs and drill out (1.6mm) to take 1.5mm plastic rod.

The nacelle seams needed a touch of filler and also some more where they meet the upper wing.  A dry fit gives a good wing to fuselage joint though one of them needs a little more fettling (where it was attached to the sprue) for a perfect fit.  The fit of the wing halves was excellent, again a touch of filler needed where the wing tips join.

I'm not sure if the scheme in the decal instructions is correct; looking at this picture I think that it was finished in overall MSG with Dark Green camouflage on the upper surfaces and that the "Black" area in the instructions is simply shadow.  Unfortunately this shot is undated but there is a very similar one in the Malta / Italy section of my history of 23 Squadron.

Mike

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

The basic airframe is now built and primed; main undercarriage and props painted:

20201107_150111

I managed to get a step on the upper fuselage joint (perhaps something inside wasn't quite in line) but it's now gone with some careful work.

There is a slight gap at the front of the canopy to be sorted and then it will be time for some camouflage.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

This build stalled just before the end of the GB after a mini disaster with the main fuselage decals (both roundel and squadron codes).

For some reason I couldn't get the starboard roundel to conform over the ?conduit? on the the lower fuselage.  A second attempt with one of the kit roundels didn't go much better and applying gentle heat from the hairdryer cracked the top fuselage joint, which you can see partially rubbed down:

20210127_114737

During subsequent attempts to fix the seam I managed to damage the port side decals too

20210127_114720

An appeal in the Wanted section for any spares from the Xtradecal 23 squadron sheet yielded nothing but then I discovered that Fantasy Print Workshop did both the roundels and dull red letters, so after a repaint and re-varnish of the offending fuselage section the Mozzy was finally finished and is now in RFI.

Mike

• Like 2