23 Squadron Tornado F3 ZE967 **Going to KUTA**

FortyEighter

My entry will be ZE967, a Tornado F3 of 23 Squadron, based at RAF Leeming.

This Hobbyboss kit was purchased at least five years ago and it's time it was built:

20200905_161846

The Xtradecal sheet covers this airframe, Mosquito FB Mk VI (Mediterranean Theatre GB), Lightning F6 (Interceptor GB?) and two Phantoms (RAF Leeming and Falkland Islands) - the latter are part of my own KUTA build.

The Tornado won't get started for a couple of weeks at least as I'm also building two Phantoms for the Vietnam GB.

• Like 6

Good to see someone trying the Hobby Boss kit. Pretty much all the 1/48 choices so far have been based on the Revell moulds. Good luck with this one!

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Staring to think seriously about the cockpit but an immediate issue:

The grey of the Eduard etch is a strange shade which doesn't match any online photos.  Normally I wouldn't worry too much as the panels and the pit walls / floor are often a different shade but.....

20200929_162626

…..as you can see from this photo, there is no etch for the top left section of the rear panel(?why?) so that section will have to be as close a match to the etch colour as possible.  My first few attempts haven't come close to a match - back to the paint mixing.

Mike

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Col. said:

I think the kit panel looks like the F.3T whereas the etch is for a standard fighter :hmmm:

I didn't take long to see that you are correct Col.

This build review details exactly the same issue and gives me something to aim for.  In my defence I know very little about the Tornado apart from the fact that when we first moved to East Yorkshire there were frequent VERY noisy low level flypasts as they went on training missions!

Mike

• Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 6:22 PM, FortyEighter said:

I didn't take long to see that you are correct Col.

I'm busy trying to reproduce a correct F.2T layout at the moment so the differences are in the forefront of my attention :nerd:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that I lost my mojo re this kit for a couple of weeks - mainly because I didn't achieve a very good fit due to the modular design / my building technique.  Also being a HobbyBoss kit, if it is designed to be posed open parts tend to be a bit too small when placed in the closed position (particularly thinking of the small doors on the intakes here).

Anyway most of the gaps have been filled and smoothed, though there are still a few "ledges" where adjacent parts don't quiteline up - I think I'll live with these rather than creating a lot more work.

20201111_101955

Hopefully it can still meet the deadline, particularly if I leave the Mosquito for a couple of weeks and don't start the Javelin!

Mike

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:02 PM, Peter W said:

That’s a shame Mike. I thought that I was running out of time on mine as I had it in my head that the finish date was the 5th Dec. Then I saw noticed it was the 20th, phew.

Pete

Well, I made my decision to give up on a finish before the deadline was extended by two weeks, so will see how much progress can be made.  Time to lay some shades of grey paint on the airframe tomorrow?

• Like 3

Yes, there seems still a bit to do and Dec. Is hectic anyways.. probably even this year!, but I guess some very good progress still can be made in 3 weeks!

Lookung firward to seeing some color ( grey that is :D ) applied!

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yes, there seems still a bit to do and Dec. Is hectic anyways.. probably even this year!, but I guess some very good progress still can be made in 3 weeks!

Lookung firward to seeing some color ( grey that is :D ) applied!

I'm still going to make my Vietnam Phantom the priority BUT I did get the LAG sprayed on the underside of the F3 today.  So tomorrow will try to get the underside demarcation masked off ready for the Barley Grey.

Mike

• Like 2

• FortyEighter changed the title to 23 Squadron Tornado F3 ZE967 **Going to KUTA**