Lancaster question

GordonD

I have a delightful little book called The Lancaster Bomber Pocket Manual, which reprints some of the contemporary documents about the plane - the original Air Ministry specification, flight trials reports, pilot notes, stuff like that. 

Under the section about the mid-upper turret, it says that "Cut-outs are provided for the tail fins and a taboo cam track runs round the turret to prevent damage to the wings, propellers and the tail unit." Now preventing the gunner accidentally shooting off his own tail does seem like a fairly good idea, but can anybody explain how this worked?

19 minutes ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello Gordon

Take a look at this webpage. Cheers

Jure

I have mixed feelings about your reply.

Obviously I'm grateful to have the information I was looking for - thank you very much.

On the downside, you have led me to another website that I can dip into for a few minutes then realise that half the day has gone!

Seriously, thanks!

• Haha 2

Hello Gordon

If it is of any consolation, it had not been much different with me when I first stumbled upon that webpage.

There is an app, called Take five or something similar, which one can use to limit one's browsing time on a single webpage. When the time is up, the app closes down your browser. Needless to say, I have never even considered its use. Cheers

Jure

• Like 1