Flower Class

Steve Dolby

6 hours ago, Steve Dolby said:

Hello folks 

I’m not a ship modeller but I do fancy a bash at the Revell 1/144 Flower class , I’m wanting to make a Royal navy Ship , is there a alternative ship that I can build without to much fuss from the SnowBerry kit ? 

Hi Steve

It's well worth investing in the Shipcaft "Flower Class Corvettes" by Lambert and Brown.  it's a great primer with some good colour plates and frankly unless you are an absolute enthusiast, the only reference book you need to get going.

The Revell kit is a good base and strictly speaking if you haven't bought one yet you might be better getting the "HMS Buttecup" offering.

Check out my blog on here for HMS Crocus  for some detailed comments about RN Corvettes.  If you build the "Snowberry" version, you really only need to scratch the forward gun breakwater shields and the 271 radar housing to get you to a good number of RN vessels.  These come as done with Buttercup and you aren't obliged to use the accoustic hammer supplied with that kit (dangly thing at the front).

Eduard Pontos and Starling do good PE sets.  The main let down with the kit is massively oversized railings.  

L'arsenal, Micromaster and Shapeways in the form of 3D boats (Hawkins751511) and Nial Orr will supply all the resin accessories you are likely to need.

You'll find that Flower calss boats varied enormously, all of the above comments concern the lengthened Foc'sle vessels.  It's best to pick a boat/Scheme you like and then analyse how much you'll need to change from base models.

If you decide on a particular boat - come back to me and I'll go through my references - 

Sounds a good project - be sure to blog it here - can never have enough corvettes!

Best

Rob

• Like 2

Revell already do a Royal Navy version, they do two kits in 1:144, HMCS Snowberry and HMS Buttercup.

You might have to resort to eBay though as everywhere seems to be out of stock of HMS Buttercup.

Cheers,

Nigel