Building family history - 1/48 Martin Maryland 203 Sqn 1942

In February 1942, My wife’s grandfather, (400057 Sergeant Byron Lewis RAAF) was posted to 203 Squadron. Between February and June 1942 he flew as a Wop/AG (in the crew of P/O (later F/O) Fox and post the 22 June 1942 ‘mine incident’ he flew as a member of F/LT (later S/Ldr) Manford’s crew) until he was posted out to 70 OTU in October 1942.

Thanks to being able to access the records of 203 and download them for free, I am piercing together his flying record for 1942 (through cross Referencing narratives with serial numbers) to determine aircraft he flew in. For this groupbuild (and our son, my wife and her family) I will build a 1/48 Maryland as a tribute and touchstone to the family link to the Mediterranean Theatre in WW2.

Actual aircraft to be modelled TBC

Edited by Rafwaffe
Extra info added
  • Like 8

Thank you. I’m kind of nervous about this one a) I’m not used to building 1/48 twins and b) I feel a need to get this one really right because of the family link. It’s going to be challenging but hopefully will get it done ok and not make a hash of it!

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rafwaffe said:

Thank you. I’m kind of nervous about this one a) I’m not used to building 1/48 twins and b) I feel a need to get this one really right because of the family link. It’s going to be challenging but hopefully will get it done ok and not make a hash of it!

Feel free to ask someone here has built one of these. I can understand the feelings as Ive built three of four tanks my grandfather drove. Am about to start the 1st of three ships my uncle served on during the war. Take your time and everything will work out in the end. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

I built this kit for a previous  Mediterranean group  build and it whent together  without any problems . I am sure you will enjoy its construction

Cheers

Alistair    

Thank you for that. I’ll be reading Your build in detail before I begin!

Maryland

It’s arrived! Looking forward to getting stuck into this build. I have a subject (complete with reference in B&W to get me wound up about colours and markings!)

Build will be AH364 ‘P.’
SGT Lewis was the W/Op of this aircraft on at least four occasions for sorties in July 1942 that I have been able to confirm through the record of events for 203 Sqn

(Film courtesy of AWM website ) :

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/F04789/

Subject is shown in part 2 approx 1845-2000. Now I just need to confirm the colour scheme!

• Like 3