Airfix Scammel tank transporter/Churchill tank.

Hi folk's I thought I'd get away from a wingy thing for this GB and decided on re-visiting this kit from years ago,it comes with a desert scheme so just a matter

of finding a suitable tank for it preference would be Airfix's Churchill we'll see.

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/scammel-tank-transporter.html

• Like 9

This ticks all the right boxes for me Steve :popcorn:

I don't remember the desert scheme though - is that an option, or the only one?

Also, having just read the Airfix blurb, I hadn't realised that the trailer wasn't demountable. So I've learnt something today, thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

This ticks all the right boxes for me Steve :popcorn:

I don't remember the desert scheme though - is that an option, or the only one?

Also, having just read the Airfix blurb, I hadn't realised that the trailer wasn't demountable. So I've learnt something today, thanks.

I'm not sure what option's are available Cliff,reference photo's are aplenty so before I order it and it's load I'll look around for colour's etc.

• Like 1

Kit's bought good old King Kit for the Scammel and a fiver for an eighties boxing of Airfix's Churchill  from e-bay now need to find references to pair

them up,I'm not sure how many Churchill's made it to the MTO I'm sure they used in Tunisia towards the end of the North African campaign and in

the Italian theatre so I suppose desert and green schemes could be used.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, stevej60 said:

Kit's bought good old King Kit for the Scammel and a fiver for an eighties boxing of Airfix's Churchill  from e-bay now need to find references to pair

them up,I'm not sure how many Churchill's made it to the MTO I'm sure they used in Tunisia towards the end of the North African campaign and in

the Italian theatre so I suppose desert and green schemes could be used.

16 hours ago, spiton said:

Churchill was very heavy Tank. I'm not sure, is it posible to transport Churchill by Scammel.

British* vehicles (and bridges, etc.) were usually capable of carrying much more than their supposed design limits. So even if the Churchill was too "heavy", the Scammel TT was probably still able to carry it, although I don't recall ever seeing a photo of this.

The problem is that the Airfix Churchill is a Mk. VII, which first saw service in Normandy. Of course, it probably saw service in Italy as well in the last year of the war. The Airfix Matilda, Crusader, Grant and Sherman M4 kits would all be good matches for a North African Scammel.

*And not just British, as this photo of a US M25 "Dragon Wagon" hauling a Jagdtiger shows. Now there's a diorama subject if ever there was one.

m26-pacific-towing-a-jagdtiger.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, klr said:

British* vehicles (and bridges, etc.) were usually capable of carrying much more than their supposed design limits. So even if the Churchill was too "heavy", the Scammel TT was probably still able to carry it, although I don't recall ever seeing a photo of this.

The problem is that the Airfix Churchill is a Mk. VII, which first saw service in Normandy. Of course, it probably saw service in Italy as well in the last year of the war. The Airfix Matilda, Crusader, Grant and Sherman M4 kits would all be good matches for a North African Scammel.

*And not just British, as this photo of a US M25 "Dragon Wagon" hauling a Jagdtiger shows. Now there's a diorama subject if ever there was one.

m26-pacific-towing-a-jagdtiger.jpg

I was talking about Scammel Pioneer . He had a load capacity of 30 tons

6 hours ago, klr said:

I was originally thinking of a German tank as a load I'm sure many must have been picked up for scrutiny,I might just build the Churchill for fun and keep an eye out for

another one for the trailer.

All sorted found a seller on e-bay splitting armourfast Crusader kits so for a fiver I have a quick build for the transporter's load more suited to the

real thing and as the Churchill mk's served in North Africa and Italy still applicable.

• Like 5

A Scammell transporter and a Crusader will make a great combo, the Armourfast one may be a tad big being 1/72 not 1/76 but the Airfix one is a tad long anyway. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Davey

• Like 1

Evening all,well thanks to the good old Royal Mail (due a  round of applause  for their contribution to keeping thing's going this year) all the component's

are here for this group of builds.I was looking at a couple of wartime training films featuring the Scamell and discovered the Pioneer used two trailer's,

the flat one was rated at 20 tons but the sloping trailer was rated at 30 tons so in reality the Churchill could be carried at a push but i prefer the Crusader

in the context of a North African themed build.

20200911_192315

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sir,these British military training films of one's model subject in action may well be of great interest.

Part 2 also demonstrates the uses of American recovery tractors and trailers in addition to the Scammell.

Part 1,a Pioneer in action

Part 2 Recovery of a Sherman derivative and the procedure to uncouple the trailer and use of the tractor unit to recover a tank. Please note the "lightweight" tractor and trailer at 21.05.

Part 3 Recovery and track repair of a Churchill by a Pioneer and crew.

Also of interest is the very full explanation of the various cable/pulley/winching block layouts required to haul the various loads.

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1