Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1

Good evening, 

Here this time with a duo. Built out of the box with the addition of aerials from mig rigging and decals from xtradecals. Painted with xtracrylics dark earth and the rest in Tamiya. I also added some wing tip lights to the Hurricane with a bit of clear sprue. The stands are from some diecast planes my dad picked up for me some years ago and thought I'd put something a bit fresh on them.  

I would like to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate the sandpaper look where the wing roots are as I seem to get this all the time I spray. 

Here they are and thanks for looking. 

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1 Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davebruce said:

Good evening, 

Here this time with a duo. Built out of the box with the addition of aerials from mig rigging and decals from xtradecals. Painted with xtracrylics dark earth and the rest in Tamiya. I also added some wing tip lights to the Hurricane with a bit of clear sprue. The stands are from some diecast planes my dad picked up for me some years ago and thought I'd put something a bit fresh on them.  

I would like to hear if anyone has any ideas on how to eliminate the sandpaper look where the wing roots are as I seem to get this all the time I spray. 

Here they are and thanks for looking. 

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1a/Hurricane Mk1  

interesting,  I'm guessing you used Xtradecals and an available Hurricane kit,  but thanks are in order, as I looked up P3757 which until  June I'd have said was metal winged,  when this list got publicised

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/&do=findComment&comment=3735801

and ....

"P3757, 1 RCAF Sqn 26 June 1940"

2649008115_a541210419_o.jpg&key=e359ac58

Though the prop would have been the blunt Spitfire Rotol unit.  

This thread maybe of interest.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235025665-hurricane-no1-sq-rcaf-photos-thread-edit/

Thanks for making me look that one up,  as it's another late fabric wing with a photo.  

:yahoo:

From reading various airbrushing threads,  possibly paint starting to dry before it hits the surface,  possible remedies are adding some acrylic retarder, or just adding some de-ionised water to the paint mix to make it a bit wetter.  

Very neat and crisp build :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really like them both (well put together, beautifully painted and superb exhausts!) and they look great 'in flight'. Not seeing anything glaring at the wing roots. At all. My only thought was whether they needed a slightly more matt finish overall. That said, lovely builds!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Really like them both (well put together, beautifully painted and superb exhausts!) and they look great 'in flight'.

Agree 100+%

• Thanks 1

Smashing builds. 

As to the rough paint at the wing roots, which I agree is hardly noticeable on yours, I've read it's down to a vortex effect as the spray swirls around the angled surfaces and dries too quickly. I use a lower pressure, thinner paint and try to avoid aiming the airbrush straight at the wing root itself. 

• Thanks 2

I like both these! I have the same die-casts that you swiped the stands from waiting for me to do something very similar and replace the die-casts with superior Airfix builds.

Various theories experssed above on the wing foods roughness are all plausible. I would put more retarder in the paint. But if you get that effect anyway, it's easy enough to flat it down with 2000 grit wet & dry, used wet.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IanC said:

try to avoid aiming the airbrush straight at the wing root itself. 

This :) Not perpendicular to the fuselage, but either pointing from the nose or the tail. That allows the air & paint vortex to escape to the sides = no drying drops on the roots. Of course, lower pressure & a bit closer helps as well. 

Looks like you have the rest well in hand :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback and tips guys. 

On 9/4/2020 at 11:16 PM, Newbie(kinda) said:

My only thought was whether they needed a slightly more matt finish overall. That said, lovely builds!

I also thought this. I used Winsor & Newtons Galeria satin varnish, although its not as glossy as their gloss varnish its still seems to have too much of a shine to it. I gave it 3 coats but still too much shine. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a decent acrylic satin varnish?

@alt-92 thanks bud, I will give those tips a try on the next build, the spitfire Tr.9. 

@Work In Progress dont do what I did and just cut a hole in the bottom where I thought the stand would look good lol. It needed to go back about 8-10mm as the cockpit assembly sits right in the way. Although thinking about it now, I could just cut the peg down a bit. 

Dave.

• Like 1

@Work In Progress dont do what I did and just cut a hole in the bottom where I thought the stand would look good lol. It needed to go back about 8-10mm as the cockpit assembly sits right in the way. Although thinking about it now, I could just cut the peg down a bit. 

I never build a model for a stand without putting a big lump of something solid inside it where I intend to attach stand to airframe. Small aircraft: solid epoxy putty. Large aircraft: same, but around a core of something like a suitably-shaped piece of broom handle.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful builds,  very nicely done.

On 06/09/2020 at 10:15, davebruce said:

Thanks for all the feedback and tips guys. 

I also thought this. I used Winsor & Newtons Galeria satin varnish, although its not as glossy as their gloss varnish its still seems to have too much of a shine to it. I gave it 3 coats but still too much shine. 

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a decent acrylic satin varnish?

I must admit I really like Vallejo satin varnish, I went to painting mostly in enamels this summer and generally use the Vallejo to seal paintwork before starting to apply weathering.

• Thanks 1

Very nicely finished and presented. You can see how much Airfix has improved the depiction of engraved panel lines between the two kits. I always think that the Airfix Spitfire MKI panel; lines are too pronounced. The Hurricane's, on the other hand, are very nicely done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1