SAAB Hinauskone – SAAB B17A in service with Finnish Air Force

Hello all,

Just as I said that the pilot's cockpit canopy is all there is left, a friend and a fellow modeller here in Finland sent me this:

spacer.png

The winch salvaged from a SH -plane is currently kept at the Air Force Museum's storage facility. It also looks like my theory about the apple green colour might be wrong. I was told that the green looks very much like a war time Finnish primer for metallic surfaces. Some details also look different than in the Air Publication 1492. More information needed...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Antti,

a superb Saab you've built. That's what I call dedication, modifcations, scratch building and homemade decals, can't get any better than that. Congratulations :goodjob:

Your work and references will be an important source for my future build (Austrian target tug of course :winkgrin:)

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Markus, Björn, Derek and russ c🙂

It certainly was an interesting journey to scratch build so many items and made them fit. It was also a new experience for me to rely almost completely on home made decals. And here I am, happy with the result. Beginner's luck perhaps😉

Cheers,

Antti

• 3 weeks later...

Just found out that there is a brand new resin set for the winch available. This is a perfect example of "Tamigawa's Law": just as you finish a conversion that involved heavy scratch building, someone releases a brand new kit or at least a conversion set for the type... Let's hope that someone releases also a decal set for the target tugs; moose Republic perhaps...

It seems that I have to start some serious plastic cutting to create a 1/32 scale British Phantom and finish it, so Hong Kong Models can release their long since announced kit🤣

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you Nanond, Ron Pearcy and Shark444🙂 Hinauskone for everyone!

A group build for WWII era target tugs; that is a nice idea. The following types come to my mind immediately if we can widen the time line slightly:

- Mosquito

- Hawker Sea Fury

- Meteor T.7

- B-26 Invader

- NA B-25 Mitchell

- Miles Martinet

- Fairey Firefly

- Bristol Blenheim

- Hurricane Mk.1

- Fokker CX

- Skyraider

- Me 210

Cheers,

Antti

10 hours ago, Antti_K said:

A group build for WWII era target tugs; that is a nice idea. The following types come to my mind immediately if we can widen the time line slightly:

<clip>

Hi Antti,

A few more just from Finland:
- Hurricane II HC-465,

- VL Tuisku,

- Westland Lysander.

Kippis,

AaCee

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Thank you Wulfman and Gary Brantley🙂

AaCee: do you know if Lysanders were used as target tugs here in Finland?

Hi Antti,

As long as I trust my memory... I recently read "Finnish Bomber Colours" and was wondering what were the odd stuff under Aly's/Lizzie's belly other than the signal picking up hook.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

Is it weird that I've ogled the paint job on this gem several days this week? Because I'm probably going to do it again tomorrow. Excellent job, Antti_K!

• Thanks 1