P-51B 'Swiss Air Force'

My next build is Mister Crafts 1:72 P-51B Swiss Mustang. This is the first Mister Craft kit I have built, and all in all it looks pretty good. 

IMG_20200824_150046

The box art is simple but effective, inside the box there is a detailed instruction booklet, a with colour depictions of the various schemes you can build, and a small decal sheet. 

IMG_20200824_150104

There are 2 grey sprues, with little to no flash and a nice amount of detail. 

IMG_20200824_150135

I plan to build it as it comes from the box, with landing gear down. I will be using Vallejo acrylics in place of those recommended, and aim to finish the build in the colours of Swiss Air Force Switzerland, late 1944. The sprues have had a wash and prime and its time to begin. 

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 7

I haven't seen this kit before, all around the plastic, instructions, and decals look like a mash-up of Hasegawa and AZ/KP.  Still looking for that definitive 1/72 mid-production Mustang kit.

Switzerland pressed all sorts of erratic oddities into service, this promises to be an eye-catching model.  

The box art suggests the prototype example was buffed out before the repaint, if not chromed?

• Like 2

I have been busy working on the build since my last post, although work has slowed my progress a bit. I began by airbrushing the fuselage interior cockpit green, along with the seat. I also painted the instrument panel, adding details by hand. Once dry I began construction of the cockpit, and once happy with the results secured it into half of the fuselage. 

IMG_20200826_210412 IMG_20200826_211956

I then glued the fuselage halves together, they fitted really well around the interior and so I taped them together and left it to dry. 

Returning to the build the following day I built the wings, gluing the top sections to the large underside. When the glue was dry, I fixed the wings to the fuselage. This is a tight fit, but with a fair bit of pressure was soon in place. 

IMG_20200830_101227 IMG_20200830_101222

I have sanded down the seams on the fuselage and added some Mr. Surfacer 1000, which I sanded back. I then added the tail planes and canopy. This is a real squeeze to get fixed in place. 

2020-09-14_10-31-43

However, with tape to hold it down it was soon in place. Finally I have given the build a coat of Vallejo white primer, this is now drying, ready for a splash of colour. 

• Like 3

What a fantastic paint scheme on the box. Which one are you going with? Going to pull up a chair for this one...

EDIT: ha ha just realised it's not blue, it's reflective silver....

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 9:14 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

haven't seen this kit before, all around the plastic, instructions, and decals look like a mash-up of Hasegawa and AZ/KP

MisterCraft (Mastercraft) tend to re-use or even reverse engineer older moulds. Some are Heller moulds, others copies of Hasegawa or Italeri (with varying degrees of success). This one is a Hasegawa......inspired one. 

The decal quality has improved of late so depending on the subject (and some research whose kit they used as basis) you can get a nice model out of it considering the price point - usually around a tenner here, or less.

And some (mig-29) are best used as paint mule with very nice decals on the side :P 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since my last post, but I have been working on the build in dribs and drabs between work and other commitments. So here is an update. I gave the build a coat of Vallejo white primer and once dry preshaded the panel lines. Then I masked it up and began adding some colours. 

IMG_20200927_093608

I began by airbrushing the aluminium sections of the aircraft. This sprayed evenly and settled down well. After 2 light coats, I sealed it in with Quick shine gloss. 

IMG_20201010_171714 IMG_20201010_171721

Then I masked her up again and began airbrushing the white sections. These include the invasion stripes on the wings and fuselage. I used a ruler to ensure these were equal and straight. 

IMG_20201010_174827

So far I have given the build one blast of white which is now drying. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Although I have been lazy with my posts, I have been busy working on the build. I airbrushed the white invasion stripes and nose section, using Vallejo white. This as expected took a few coats to cover the pre-shading, but went smoothly. 

2020-11-14_12-21-40

After sealing it in I remasked and began airbrushing the red. I always forget just how many coats it takes of red to get a nice finish with red. However, after 4 very light coats I was happy with the finish. 

IMG_20201114_123340

After unmasking and sealing it in I airbrushed the Olive section on the nose. 

IMG_20201114_123353

We are now ready to move onto decals. 

• Like 4

Looking good Shelley, although I don't think the Swiss will be too happy about you calling their markings "invasion stripes". It sort of goes against the "neutral" bit! Lol

Ian

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

Looking good Shelley, although I don't think the Swiss will be too happy about you calling their markings "invasion stripes". It sort of goes against the "neutral" bit! Lol

Ian

Very true, I wonder if they had a term for them or simply called them stripes? 

Thanks, 

Michelle