Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

7 hours ago, opus999 said:

as near as I can find there are no distributors in the US and the price for shipping was utterly ridiculous. *sigh*.

Yup. Works the other way around too.

Minicraft's Ventura II in 1/72 is rare as hen's teeth in Europe, but abundant in the US. Shipping doubles the price (sometimes more).

On the up side: Arma Hobby does package pretty smart, so if you order multiples - say two of each - they repackage the kits 2 in one box which saves on volume. 
Worth a shot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, opus999 said:

Aw... man... See now I actually am getting a bit excited to do a Hurricane!  I looked at Arma's website when I was reading all the excitement about their P-51B kit and was interested in some of their offerings (even the old Hasegawa stuff), but asnear as I can find there are no distributors in the US and the price for shipping was utterly ridiculous. *sigh*.

They've got a great selection of the Hobby 2K Hasegawa re-pops - I'm in the market for a Dewoitine D.520 at some point!

What a pain that there aren't any US-based distributors, I find that so hard to understand as there must be a ready market for their products. Hopefully, that'll change in the near future, but in the meantime I've sent you a PM.

Ironically, I've just been looking on Arma's website and comparing the total cost including shipping to ordering direct: its still marginally cheaper to order direct than from major stockists within the UK.

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Yup. Works the other way around too.

Minicraft's Ventura II in 1/72 is rare as hen's teeth in Europe, but abundant in the US. Shipping doubles the price (sometimes more).

On the up side: Arma Hobby does package pretty smart, so if you order multiples - say two of each - they repackage the kits 2 in one box which saves on volume. 
Worth a shot.

Arma are good at packaging - when I ordered my Mk.IIB/C and overtrees, the kit box was collapsed and the whole package was very neat and compact. Their shipping costs are quite high for one kit, but stay the same for three kits.

Definitely worth looking into!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

A little more progress over the last couple of days.

The extra Mr Surfacer 500 has been sanded back and a little bit more primer dusted on. Today, the missing panel lines were re-scribed on both Hurricanes using my new scribing tool :) and I was quite pleased with how they turned out for the most part! I must admit that I didn't even attempt to recreate the oval panel lines at the wingtips - some sort of template would be needed.

But, and despite the Dymo tape, there was still some slight wandering of the scriber 😠 which, guess what, were treated to some more Mr Surfacer, sanded and re- re-primed!

I still need to practice re-scribing, although hopefully some better assembly might obviate the need, but I'm quite happy!

Hopefully a photo or two tomorrow :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

But, and despite the Dymo tape, there was still some slight wandering of the scriber 😠 which, guess what, were treated to some more Mr Surfacer, sanded and re- re-primed!

Now that describes my scribing technique to a tee. 😉

Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Small amount of progress today.

Here's where we were at start of play, after yesterday's re-scribing and re-priming. Mk.I:

http://IMG-3561.jpg

http://IMG-3562.jpg

Mk.IIC:

http://IMG-3563.jpg

http://IMG-3564.jpg

Guess who forgot to re-scribe the panel line running across the cowling just behind the spinner? So that's been done now, with another wobbly line and re-Mr Surfacer repair :) Also today since the photos I've sorted out the cockpit coaming and added the gunsights on both. Windscreens next. I hope.

Thanks for looking in, and any comments or suggestions welcome as always.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 9

I meant to add that I also need to cut out the wingtip lights on both of these before a I go much farther, and add the transparent parts along with the leading edge landing lights. Should be fun!

20 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

But, and despite the Dymo tape, there was still some slight wandering of the scriber

Ugh.  Sounds like every experience I've had with scribers.  I gave 'em up... don't need that kind of stress in my life. :)   Have you tried scribing saws? I've read (and been told) that they are easier and work better than scribers, especially for simple fixes across seams.  If you want I can scare up the info I have on those.  I personally have not used them, but just last week received some razor saws that double as panel line scribers, so I may do some tests with them.

• Like 1

That's all looking very nice.

As for scribing I tend to use a jlc razor sword blade for the straightish lines.

Can't seem to get the hang of the Tamiya thingy.

Doesn't particularly help though I still need a lot more practice.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Ugh.  Sounds like every experience I've had with scribers.  I gave 'em up... don't need that kind of stress in my life. :)   Have you tried scribing saws? I've read (and been told) that they are easier and work better than scribers, especially for simple fixes across seams.  If you want I can scare up the info I have on those.  I personally have not used them, but just last week received some razor saws that double as panel line scribers, so I may do some tests with them.

I haven't heard of those! I'd be very interested in any info you've got - anything that makes it easier to scribe a straight line has got to be good IMHO! :) 

40 minutes ago, opus999 said:

These are looking very nice so far! :D Still pondering a scheme, I presume? 

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with how they're coming together now. For the Mk.IIC, yes I'm still pondering in the light of Troy's comments on the Xtradecal sheet, although I think I've settled on an SEAC scheme. The Mk.I is definitely going to be a 30 Sqn nightfighter: I'll post up a link to the IWM photos when I'm ready to start painting it.

8 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That's all looking very nice.

As for scribing I tend to use a jlc razor sword blade for the straightish lines.

Doesn't particularly help though I still need a lot more practice.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks! I need to find myself a razor saw, something I've managed to get by without all these years, although it'd be useful for the wingtip lights, for instance. The Tamiya/Olfa P-Cutter has its uses, but I've mostly been using one of these as recommended by Craig @Dandie Dinmont, and I do find it much easier to handle and get a decent line with. Still need to practice, though! :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

That's interesting. I've got a jlc razor saw (excellent piece of kit BTW Mark if you're still in a tool buying mood) but hadn't though of using it for scribing. Since my current scribing technique doesn't even meet the low bar set by others in this thread, I'll have to give it a try.

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Likewise. It's useful for excavating the cracks in my work bench though.

Craig.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

hadn't though of using it for scribing.

I can't take the credit for that. I saw it used that way in a YouTube video.

It works very well that way though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Thanks, chaps - sounds like I need one of those razor saws! Its name vill go on zee liszt!

Craig, the two Hurris have been primed using Tamiya acrylic rattle cans!

I was in a grey-shade buying frenzy last year while settling on colours for different railway company's wagons, and these are from my collection of rejects!

These aerosols give a good even finish, and I wouldn't be afraid to use them for final coats. In fact, I've got a gloss black for the Mk.I (to save gloss varnishing) in case it's ready before I get a new airbrush!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'd be very interested in any info you've got

Here they are -- they came highly recommended, but I haven't bought any yet, myself: 

https://www.amazon.com/Hasegawa-Modeling-Scriber-Scribe-Saw/dp/B001HLYQDI

44 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I've got a jlc razor saw

This is what I just got last week.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, opus999 said:

Here they are -- they came highly recommended, but I haven't bought any yet, myself: 

https://www.amazon.com/Hasegawa-Modeling-Scriber-Scribe-Saw/dp/B001HLYQDI

This is what I just got last week.

Thanks for this - I've now got one in my shopping basket! I think it'd be a good option for cutting out the wingtip lights, as well!

• Like 2

Gunsights and windscreens added.

Not entirely sure about the fit of the windscreens, though: they seem to be "perched" on the coaming, if you get my meaning.

http://IMG-20210330-174817662.jpg

My chief critic doesn't seem at all impressed

http://IMG-20210330-174948624-HDR.jpg

Thoughts and comments, please, peeps!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They do look a bit perched don't they. Had never thought of that before, but I think they're OK based on the one I built last year..ish

6rBEVwU.jpg

Hope you don't mind me sticking a picture in.

As for your critic. I know that pose so well.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Looking good Mark! If you want further reassurance, here’s how my attempt at the Airfix Mk1 looked:

50079951352_088b86355b_c.jpg

Pretty perched on, I’d say. 

Your chief critic is aware that you crave her attention and is responding in the typical feline manner. Had you been involved in something requiring great concentration with minimum distraction on the other hand...

Craig. 

• Like 2

Thanks, Alistair and Craig! That's a bit of a relief :) and I expect they'll look a bit more "bedded in" with some paint on the frames.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

As for your critic. I know that pose so well.

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Your chief critic is aware that you crave her attention and is responding in the typical feline manner. Had you been involved in something requiring great concentration with minimum distraction on the other hand...

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: so true!

• Like 2

Not much time at the bench lately, even though it's a long weekend: I can't even blame DIY or the garden! Laziness is nearer the mark ;)

The windscreens are still a bit perched, but.....a look at the photos in the Haynes Manual show that, while the frame at the base of the windscreen itself if actually perpendicular to the cowling, the frames at the base of the "quarter lights" are faired into the fuselage.

So to try and achieve that goal, I started with Mr Surfacer 500 carefully dobbed into the seams. That was Friday. Looking at them today, the Mr S had shrunk into the seam, so this afternoon they've been treated to some Mr Dissolved Putty. Some more may be needed tomorrow.

I'm a bit concerned how I'm going to smooth Mr DP without ruining the clear parts, though! Carefully, springs to mind :)

Thanks for stopping by. Any comments or suggestions welcomed!

• Like 3

I meant to add that my copy of Peter Boer's "Aircraft of the Netherlands East Indies Army Aircraft in crisis and war times february 1937 - June 1942" has arrived :)

It's full of fascinating information and I can see there is loads of great inspiration for a wide variety of future builds!

I've also ordered a copy of Mushroom's "Portuguese Fighter Colours 1919-1956: Piston-Engine Fighters" as the Portuguese Aeronáutica Militar operated a number of Hurricanes of various marks (as well as Gladiators and Mohawks!).

Cheers m'dears!

• Like 3