Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

At least it's going with grey not cream. That way you don't have to explain anything. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair (not stirring at all)

If I was going down that route, it'd be chocolate and cream ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

@2996 Victor I've been missing the Hurricane Odyssey, any updates?

Hi ME,

I'm afraid not, though I really ought to do something to these poor beasts! The Arma two are sat on their backs to keep the dust out of their cockpits, and the glue on the Airfix wings should be about dry, so I guess I could make some progress ;)

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Are you sure? You don’t want to rush these things and spoil them!

Craig. 

Actually, Craig, I'm just a tiny bit concerned about the Mr Dissolved Putty on the fabric-that-should-not-be-fabric areas.....I may need to leave them just a little longer after all ;) 

Cheers,

Mark :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Actually, Craig, I'm just a tiny bit concerned about the Mr Dissolved Putty on the fabric-that-should-not-be-fabric areas.....I may need to leave them just a little longer after all ;) 

Cheers,

Mark :) 

Absolutely no point in rushing things you'll only end up in a pickle.

Go on ask me how I know. :wall:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Absolutely no point in rushing things you'll only end up in a pickle.

Go on ask me how I know. :wall:

Cheers,

Alistair

I take my time and then still end up in a pickle :D 

I have unearthed my Airfix Rag Wings and sanded the Mr DP in the fabric areas; unfortunately, one of them really did need another application! Oh, how I laughed! Once that has dried and I've sanded it again, I'll spray on a witness coat and see what further remedial work is needed. After that, wing lights.

For sanding the fabric areas, I masked the wing joint covers and made the conscious decision while sanding to not worry about the raised span-wise lines across the guns' access panels. This made the sanding much easier and the raised lines should be simple enough to reinstate.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Two number Airfix Hurricane Mk.I wings sanded and ready for a coat of primer:

http://IMG-20211117-114904432.jpg

Thanks, @ModelingEdmontonian, for the nudge - I will try to be a little more productive on the Hurricanes! Maybe I'll even re-scribe the Arma Twins' wings soon.....

And here's Arthur, "helping" me last evening:

http://IMG-20211116-174332246.jpg

Its a shame the huge volume of plastic shavings on his tail aren't visible, it makes a very effective brush.....(should have named him "Basil"!)

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice to see the help/cleaner.

He's getting big.

Cheers,

Alistair

He certainly is! Unfortunately, his increasing size doesn't sit well with his blundering :D He's hilarious, though!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Glad to see some progress, @2996 Victor! Your dedication to historical accuracy is laudable, but to be honest I think if I was to correct Airfix wings I would lose momentum too :( Also, I'll admit I've never rescribed anything in my life...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Glad to see some progress, @2996 Victor! Your dedication to historical accuracy is laudable, but to be honest I think if I was to correct Airfix wings I would lose momentum too :( Also, I'll admit I've never rescribed anything in my life...

I thought for a moment you said "laughable"! Only kidding :D

I have to say I sometimes wonder if it really is worth the extra effort! I suppose that can only be answered once I actually finish the models :)

My first efforts at re-scribing weren't terribly good, but practice makes perfect, of course! Using masking tape and dymo tape as guides and not trying too hard seems to be the most successful approach so far.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Well folks, sometimes it becomes necessary to cut your losses, doesn't it?

All along I've really not been that enamoured of the Airfix Mk.I wings: distorted, size mis-match between upper and lower wing panels, joins between upper and lower panels, thickness of the trailing edges. I spent most of Saturday afternoon sanding the wings to a finer trailing edge, at the same time trying to make them symmetrical. In the end, I decided that it would be simpler to not worry about the surface detail, get the shape right, and then reinstate. I'm sure that the problems must be of my own making. After all, there are numerous beautifully-built Airfix Mk.Is here on BM.

Further pondering led me to the conclusion that life's too short. Disillusionment has set in and, frankly, I can't be bothered to take them any further.

The Arma Hurricane kits I'll keep and build in due course although the two part-built ones have gone the with the Airfix Mk.Is - I was no longer happy with my efforts on them.

That's the state of play here. Thanks everyone who's commented and given encouragement - its hugely appreciated. I'll re-start this thread in due course, but in the meantime I'm going to build something else!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Sad 5

10 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Sad to hear this, Mark, but can sympathize. And yes life's too short, if you're not enjoying it, why bother?! Thanks for all the Hurricane inspiration nonetheless.

Thanks, ME, and I'm glad that my meanderings have in some way helped you with your fabulous builds! I'll definitely be Hurricaning again in the not-too-distant future - I've got two Arma Mk.I Kits, two Arma Mk.IIB/C Expert Sets and three sets of overtrees.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Vic, I've just started reading this thread, no more than a page a day though, as I'd like to make it last. My thoughts on page one are these.

I think the standard of your detailing is more suited to 1/48, how you manage to do it in 1/72 is beyond my understanding! 

I like your relaxed writing style, and the fact that you write in sentences makes it a lot easier to read than many writers who use 'telegraphese'.

Hurricanes are brilliant!

I'm getting really tempted by the EBMA storage system. How is it holding up after a year. Are the joints still sound and the drawers still drawing?

Edit:

I've just seen the last page, after posting my comment. All of the best dramas have high and low points, when you get going again, I hope you'll swiftly climb the heights once more. (At least I won't have to rush my the reading to catch up with you).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Hi Vic, I've just started reading this thread, no more than a page a day though, as I'd like to make it last. My thoughts on page one are these.

I think the standard of your detailing is more suited to 1/48, how you manage to do it in 1/72 is beyond my understanding! 

I like your relaxed writing style, and the fact that you write in sentences makes it a lot easier to read than many writers who use 'telegraphese'.

Hurricanes are brilliant!

I'm getting really tempted by the EBMA storage system. How is it holding up after a year. Are the joints still sound and the drawers still drawing?

Edit:

I've just seen the last page, after posting my comment. All of the best dramas have high and low points, when you get going again, I hope you'll swiftly climb the heights once more. (At least I won't have to rush my the reading to catch up with you).

Hi Bertie,

many thanks for your kind words, its really appreciated!

To be fair, as far as the detailing goes, its all down to the excellent Arma kits, they're truly brilliant and beautifully engineered, although the Mk.II is slightly easier to assemble in the cockpit department than the Mk.I. I used Eduard etched details, which are lovely of course, but I think they're not really all that necessary, especially with Arma's "Expert Sets". Good magnification is a must, though! I'm actually feeling quite eager to begin again, but I think a short intermezzo (cue Sibelius) might be wise.

As far as my two Arma builds in the above pages are concerned, I think it's only fair to say that any difficulties I encountered were due the fact that I'd only just begun building model aeroplanes again after over 25 years' hiatus. My issues with them were entirely the result of poor technique and lack of recent experience. The wing joint filling/chemical "sanding" being a case in point. You'd definitely have no trouble with them!

The EBMA storage system is a God-send! I've added another three-drawer unit beneath the one I already had, one suitable for Mr Hobby/Gunze/Tamiya jars. The drawers are still drawing and its all working splendidly. The only thing I keep meaning to do is glue the top sections in place: they're the ones with the tool and paintbrush cut-outs, and the bridge-like "thingy" for pliers and cutters. They sit in place perfectly well, but just become dislodged sometimes if I'm a bit too keen :D Highly recommended!!!

I worry sometimes that my posts are not so much prose as just waffling drivel (it is, really!), but I'm glad its entertaining! I don't know if you've ever heard of Iain Rice? He is very well known in model railway circles as a producer of exquisite locos, carriages and wagons, and of very well-crafted layouts. His style of writing is very entertaining and seldom fails to garner a smile: I must confess that I try to model my turn of phrase in the style of Rice! After all, why say, "so-and-so phoned me", when you can say, "there came the other day upon the electric speaking telegraph one Mr...." :D

I'm sure it won't be long before this thread is revived, after all I've got some ML-KNIL aircraft to build that include a Hurricane Mk.IIB, but in the meantime I would be impossible to recommend too highly the Arma kits and the EBMA storage system (and I've no connection with either, other than as a very satisfied customer!).

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

I worry sometimes that my posts are not so much prose as just waffling drivel (it is, really!), but I'm glad its entertaining! I don't know if you've ever heard of Iain Rice? He is very well known in model railway circles as a producer of exquisite locos, carriages and wagons, and of very well-crafted layouts. His style of writing is very entertaining and seldom fails to garner a smile: I must confess that I try to model my turn of phrase in the style of Rice! After all, why say, "so-and-so phoned me", when you can say, "there came the other day upon the electric speaking telegraph one Mr...." :D

Well this is exactly the reason that I find your prose style so comfortable. It would appear to be built on similar principles to mine own. I too waffle on in order to entertain and inform, with a tiny bit of help from Mr P.G. Wodehouse, whose lightness of manner I try to emulate. It stops me taking myself too seriously!

Enjoy you r break and please don't be in too much of a hurri to resume work here. I'd appreciate the opportunity to catch up and chat in real time rather than being always six months in the past!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Well this is exactly the reason that I find your prose style so comfortable. It would appear to be built on similar principles to mine own. I too waffle on in order to entertain and inform, with a tiny bit of help from Mr P.G. Wodehouse, whose lightness of manner I try to emulate. It stops me taking myself too seriously!

Enjoy you r break and please don't be in too much of a hurri to resume work here. I'd appreciate the opportunity to catch up and chat in real time rather than being always six months in the past!

I do love a bit of Wodehouse! Subtle, gentle humour with just a soupçon of satire :) delightful!

As for taking a break, I've already been in a bit of a Hurri (I saw what you did there ;)) and got an Arma Mk.IIB/C out of my stash: it's just for looking at, you understand!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I do love a bit of Wodehouse! Subtle, gentle humour with just a soupçon of satire :) delightful!

I have to add to this, although acknowledge it does not relate to Hawker Hurricanes... I only recently discovered PG Wodehouse and have been now enjoying the audiobooks whist building my Hurricanes (so really there is a Hurricane connection 😉).

• Like 2