Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

59 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

He's a cat he'll tell you what he's having to eat and you'll do what you're told or else. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

Oh yes! :) Jane and I know where we are on the food chain :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 19:53, bigbadbadge said:

That's wierd, did the hot water immersion help at all???

Chris

So, at long last I thought I'd try this test to see if the lower wings could be kicked into touch. To anyone else thinking of trying this: don't! Really, Really, REALLY DON'T!!! The Airfix plastic is just so soft that all that's left is funny, wobbly mess :rofl2: 

Moral: Chalk that one up to experience and move on to the next unsuspecting victim :evil_laugh:

The daft part of this is I'm running out of complete Airfix Mk.I Hurricane kits! Can you believe that? A problem exacerbated by the fact that I've just sat on a set of sprues..... :oops:

I think I need a hug!

Cheers,

Mark

• Sad 4

13 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

So, at long last I thought I'd try this test to see if the lower wings could be kicked into touch.

To anyone else thinking of trying this: don't! Really, Really, REALLY DON'T!!! The Airfix plastic is just so soft that all that's left is funny, wobbly mess :rofl2: 

Moral: Chalk that one up to experience and move on to the next unsuspecting victim :evil_laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

Oh dear; my condolences, Mark... but glad to hear the Hurricanes are getting some renewed attention!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Oh dear; my condolences, Mark... but glad to hear the Hurricanes are getting some renewed attention!

It is what it is! Come payday on Friday, I'll be ordering a few more :D and if anyone needs any spares, not including wings of course, I have one or two bits lying around..... :wacko:

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

if anyone needs any spares, not including wings of course, I have one or two bits lying around.....

Where were you last year when I was building my Hurricane?

Do you thing your wing fixing efforts failed because the water was too hot, or was there no hope of fixing them?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that kitten is a real cutie! I’m having to take extra precautions to stop Mrs. Dinmont looking over my shoulder when I’m reading Britmodeller in case she sees a photo and starts getting ideas!

Craig. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Where were you last year when I was building my Hurricane?

Sorry, Craig! If you ever do another one....

5 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Do you thing your wing fixing efforts failed because the water was too hot, or was there no hope of fixing them?

I think the water may have been too hot. As far as the distortion I wanted to fix is concerned, it actually worked quite well. It's the outer wings that are all wobbly now, plus the forward "wall" of the wheel bay is buckled beyond repair.

10 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, that kitten is a real cutie! I’m having to take extra precautions to stop Mrs. Dinmont looking over my shoulder when I’m reading Britmodeller in case she sees a photo and starts getting ideas!

He's a little cutie and the King of the Silent Meow :D and very well behaved for a little 'un!

I'll make sure I keep posting photos.....

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry to hear about the wing.

No worries, Chris :) it's only a plastic model kit, after all! :)

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The kitten looks a real cute ball of fur.  Would love a little kitten like that but the current resident feline is a viscious killer and would likely eat it!!!

Sorry to hear that, Chris, it's a problem when they're like that. We're really lucky in that Daisy is good natured, although there's been hissing and growling, of course. But Daisy and Arthur are beginning to settle down now :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Just now, 2996 Victor said:

Sorry to hear that, Chris, it's a problem when they're like that. We're really lucky in that Daisy is good natured, although there's been hissing and growling, of course. But Daisy and Arthur are beginning to settle down now

You are lucky there, our one is a misery,  although she is a pretty Textile Cat she's not to be trifled with. She looks like butter wouldn't melt but gets me all the time!!!

Chris 

• Like 2

My condolences on the wing.

It can be truly heartbreaking to lose a close friend.

On 26/06/2021 at 20:49, 2996 Victor said:

Oh yes! :) Jane and I know where we are on the food chain :D

Just be thankful you are not in the food chain.

Some of the looks I get sometimes I'm not sure.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm running out of complete Airfix Mk.I Hurricane kits!

Hmm, maybe get one of the Alleycat metal wings,  or keep an eye out, as these are slightly obsolete....  or,  use up one of the spare wings in the Arma IIB/IIC kit,  if you did a IIc from one,  with a little work, you get a A wing....  now, this won't really match the Airfix fuselage, but ...... might be a way forward.

Or ask Airfix nicely for a new wing sprue, pointing out that the reason for knackered wing is their variable 'quality control' in the first place....

HTH

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hmm, maybe get one of the Alleycat metal wings,  or keep an eye out, as these are slightly obsolete....  or,  use up one of the spare wings in the Arma IIB/IIC kit,  if you did a IIc from one,  with a little work, you get a A wing....  now, this won't really match the Airfix fuselage, but ...... might be a way forward.

Or ask Airfix nicely for a new wing sprue, pointing out that the reason for knackered wing is their variable 'quality control' in the first place....

HTH

I would ask Airfix for a new sprue too. Especially since you aren't attempting to do this one in 24 hours like some people around here... I was so unimpressed with the UC doors on the last one I opened. I should have photographed them before I chucked them, but bad, thin plastic such that they were simultaneously twisty and brittle!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

HTH

5 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I would ask Airfix for a new sprue too. Especially since you aren't attempting to do this one in 24 hours like some people around here... I was so unimpressed with the UC doors on the last one I opened. I should have photographed them before I chucked them, but bad, thin plastic such that they were simultaneously twisty and brittle!

Thanks, chapsI I really hadn't thought of that, I suppose because I considered the foul-up was my fault. But at the end of the day I was trying to correct a warped moulding, so its definitely worth a try! :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

The best method I've found for straightening warped pieces is to bind them tight to a stout piece of card before adding the hot water/steam, and then plunge them into cold to retain the shape.  Better several brief attempts than one too long.  I recall trying to make a (old) Airfix Gnat fuselage straight and ending up with a very oddly twisted fin and rudder.  In the end the rear fuselage contributed to a "Twin Gnat" with radar nose and intakes from (IIRC) Dornier drop tanks - although something similar appears more likely at the time.  It was what I foresaw as my best opportunity to use some Ethiopian roundels.  So far I haven't had any better opportunity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The best method I've found for straightening warped pieces is to bind them tight to a stout piece of card before adding the hot water/steam, and then plunge them into cold to retain the shape.  Better several brief attempts than one too long.  I recall trying to make a (old) Airfix Gnat fuselage straight and ending up with a very oddly twisted fin and rudder.  In the end the rear fuselage contributed to a "Twin Gnat" with radar nose and intakes from (IIRC) Dornier drop tanks - although something similar appears more likely at the time.  It was what I foresaw as my best opportunity to use some Ethiopian roundels.  So far I haven't had any better opportunity.

I taped the offending part to a rigid steel ruler, so I don't know whether that contributed to the problem because of heat conductivity, or whether I was just too gung-ho with the hot water - I did go a bit bananas with it!!! Less, I think, may have been more :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 05/07/2021 at 17:55, 2996 Victor said:

I'm running out of complete Airfix Mk.I Hurricane kits!

"Hmm, maybe get one of the Alleycat metal wings, "

Of course, I forgot that this means there are spare Airfix fabric wings out there is spares box land,  the last Alleycat conversion I saw on here was by @Andy G.....  i think it was you bought some of his paint racks?    Anyway, if you get no joy out of Airfix,  then ask in the wanted section..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Not quite as bananas as that :rofl2:

Arthur looks like a fine addition to the household.

He's a great little character :) The scampering and vtol capability is hilarious :D Jane thinks he'll be "majestic" when he's fully grown!

When you send off to Airfix for replacement parts, you should use one of those claim slips from a 1960s/70s kit if you have one lying around.

I'm not sure I've got any kits that would have the slip in the box! Brilliant idea, though :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

"Hmm, maybe get one of the Alleycat metal wings, "

Of course, I forgot that this means there are spare Airfix fabric wings out there is spares box land,  the last Alleycat conversion I saw on here was by @Andy G.....  i think it was you bought some of his paint racks?    Anyway, if you get no joy out of Airfix,  then ask in the wanted section..

Mark,

Troy is correct, I have a set of Airfix Hurricane wings currently spare.  If you want them let me know and I'll post them off to you.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Andy G said:

Mark,

Troy is correct, I have a set of Airfix Hurricane wings currently spare.  If you want them let me know and I'll post them off to you.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

That's incredibly kind of you - yes, please! I'll PM you, if that's okay.

With many thanks and kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Madness. Utter madness! Victor Towers is being overwhelmed by V-Bombers! Poor old Hurricanes.....

Not only is there the HP Victor B Mk.2 mentioned previously, but a Vulcan B.2 has arrived and a Victor K.2 (sans decals) turned up today. Plus there's a Gulf Tornado on its way. Help!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

The Eduard Gulf Tornado "Desert Babes" Special Edition arrived today, along with a fourth Airfix Beaufighter. And now I've been and gone and ordered a Beaufort as well! My ever-tenuous link with sanity is slipping away :mental: 

I must order a Hurricane.

Daft of Derbyshire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Eduard Gulf Tornado "Desert Babes" Special Edition arrived today, along with a fourth Airfix Beaufighter. And now I've been and gone and ordered a Beaufort as well! My ever-tenuous link with sanity is slipping away :mental: 

Daft of Derbyshire.

May I suggest no more buying until a Hurricane RFI is complete? ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

The Eduard Gulf Tornado "Desert Babes" Special Edition arrived today, along with a fourth Airfix Beaufighter. And now I've been and gone and ordered a Beaufort as well! My ever-tenuous link with sanity is slipping away

Welcome to the asylum. No cuddling the boxes or fondling of plastic though.

You'd never catch me doing that. :innocent: and I did not cuddle my new vulcan all night.

17 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

May I suggest no more buying until a Hurricane RFI is complete? ;)

Spoilsport.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1