Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

36 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Actually, we've got an island worktop in the kitchen which is a good height, so I might be able to do a bit stood at that

That's exactly what my wife uses, with a riser sort of contraption (something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIMEZO-Standing-Desk-Height-Adjustable/dp/B07YZ6W57Y/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3AL55HACNNKA4&dchild=1&keywords=standing+desk+riser&qid=1621239297&sprefix=standing+desk%2Caps%2C558&sr=8-8 but not this one so not a recommendation) on top to put her keyboard, monitor and stuff. You could put a cutting mat on it and adjust to suit.

38 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hope your good lady's back problem is only short term.

Well, she had it when we married, and that was 30 years ago, so I think it's probably here for the long term 🙁

36 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Timing was never my strongest point

I admire your courage. I dipped my toes into the murky waters of the group build last year and decided that the frantic pace (finish a model in only 4 months? Madness!) wasnot for me, but I'll be cheering you along from the sidelines!

Craig.

One other little thing I did achieve was to assemble another drawer module from @Andy G at EBMA - thanks again to Andy for an excellent piece of kit! This time, it was a two-drawer unit to hold my growing selection of Mr Hobby and Tamiya jars, which have been hogging bench space for a while now:

http://IMG-20210515-132323169.jpg

I can't believe it was way back on Page 1 that I was revelling in new-found organisation.... :) 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That's exactly what my wife uses, with a riser sort of contraption (something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AIMEZO-Standing-Desk-Height-Adjustable/dp/B07YZ6W57Y/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3AL55HACNNKA4&dchild=1&keywords=standing+desk+riser&qid=1621239297&sprefix=standing+desk%2Caps%2C558&sr=8-8 but not this one so not a recommendation) on top to put her keyboard, monitor and stuff. You could put a cutting mat on it and adjust to suit.

That's a genius piece of kit - I'll certainly look into it if it turns out to be a while before my surgery. Thanks :) 

18 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Well, she had it when we married, and that was 30 years ago, so I think it's probably here for the long term 🙁

I'm really very sorry to hear that, Craig :( 

21 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I admire your courage. I dipped my toes into the murky waters of the group build last year and decided that the frantic pace (finish a model in only 4 months? Madness!) wasnot for me, but I'll be cheering you along from the sidelines!

Or foolhardiness :D But with a set time period for completion, I thought it might help to chivvy me along and actually finish something rather than just bumbling along in my usual fashion. We'll see how well that pans out.....the best-laid plans and all that jazz :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I resemble that remark. :innocent:😆

Cheers,

Alistair

I'm really not sure that's true, Alistair, and even if it were, you're adept at bumbling a whole lot faster than I am :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm really not sure that's true, Alistair, and even if it were, you're adept at bumbling a whole lot faster than I am :D 

Cheers,

Mark

I just use the same bluffing technique that I've been using for 38 years on the Railway. Lots of creative inertia and bamboozling.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I just use the same bluffing technique that I've been using for 38 years on the Railway. Lots of creative inertia and bamboozling.

Cheers,

Alistair

I use the same technique, so far I've got away with it..... :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

The wing of the Airfix Mk.I has had a little paint applied to its innards - Tamiya AS-12 - the outer surface of the lower wing being masked as I didn't want it plastered in paint, at least not yet!

http://IMG-20210520-122918366-BURST000-COVER.jp

Oooooh! Shiny!

I've also added the cylinder to the upper wing panel, sans wiggly pipe, and as suggested by @Troy Smith I've drilled a small hole to accept a piece of wire or fine solder shaped to represent said pipe. Apologies for the duff phone-camera photo, but I think the 'ole is visible:

http://IMG-20210520-122936166.jpg

Baby steps.....

Thanks for looking in; comments and suggestions always welcomed!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

Well, since Henry the Hernia is behaving himself, I've managed to get some time in at my workbench today :) 

First up, the Arma Hobby Mk.I and Mk.IIC:

http://IMG-20210522-140620352.jpg

Can you spot anything different?

Next up, the Airfix Mk.I, and I've assembled the wings. As I've had a few issues with over-exuberant application of MEK or TET causing sinkage, I've used @Troy Smith's method of dotting superglue and I'm happy with the results :)

As the wing has a very thick trailing edge OOB, I spent some time sanding the trailing edges of both the upper and lower wing sections. I think its going to look alright, and I'll try to get a comparison photo with an un-sanded set. I also sanded off the locating pegs as they seem to cause distortion in the wing as the lower panel seems to be slightly over scale, which induces a extra degree of dihedral that shouldn't be there. I started by gluing at the centre section, ensuring as it set that the upper wing panels were correctly lined up, and then progressively glued outward toward the tips:

http://IMG-20210522-132847958-HDR.jpg

http://IMG-20210522-132911094-HDR.jpg

Looking at the photos, its easy to see the mis-match in the upper and lower wing panels. Here I've started blending the lowers into the uppers:

http://IMG-20210522-133744571.jpg

I've also cut out the wing tip navigation lights and squared up the landing light recesses (which are out of kilter because of the wing mis-match), painted aluminium in the openings, and fitted transparencies. The wing tip lights are spare Arma items, while the landing lights are of course Airfix's. Glued in with Krystal Kleer as per:

http://IMG-20210522-165007851.jpg

The whole wing assembly is slightly distorted with the starboard wing having a tiny bit more dihedral than the port wing, but I have a plan to correct this before I go much further.

Thanks for looking in, and comments or suggestions are always welcome!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Glad to hear you're feeling a tad better.

Nicely done with the hurricanes.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, yes its not too bad at the moment. Got an appointment at the beginning of July for an assessment following which I should get a date for surgery. Hopefully, it'll behave itself in the meantime..... Its good to get a bit done to the Hurris, too: I need to pluck up the courage to rescribe the Arma wings soon - not looking forward to that :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Glad to hear Henry is behaving and good to see some progress on the Hurricanes Mark.

Looking good fella.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, yes - keeping a close eye on Henry's behaviour as I don't want any major problems blowing up! It's good to get some time at the work table, gentle progress but satisfying nonetheless :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I don't envy you. Rescribing is one of the many things I rubbish at.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yesssssss - I'm not looking forward to it......prevarication is my middle name! Not really, of course, but it could be!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Yesssssss - I'm not looking forward to it......prevarication is my middle name! Not really, of course, but it could be!

Cheers,

Mark

That would be better than my double barrelled middle name.

I'm not telling though....

Oh OK then it's Bottle-Merchant

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, AliGauld said:

That would be better than my double barrelled middle name.

I'm not telling though....

Oh OK then it's Bottle-Merchant

Cheers,

Alistair

I've got two middle names, initials W.A. Years ago at work, one of my colleagues asked me what they stood for and I answered, "Wolfgang Amadeus - my parents are big fans of Mozart!" The look of incredulity was memorable :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice job on the Airfix wings Wolfgang, and you’re wise to get the various lights sorted out now. When I built mine, I left the landing lights until the very last moment and it did not go well...

Take it easy, and don’t do anything to provoke Henry. 

Craig. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Wolfgang

:D :D :D 

Nice job on the Airfix wings

Thanks, Craig! As I had a moderate success with the Arma wing lights, I thought it'd be a good option, especially as the wing panels are mis-matched for size and some fettling is needed. 

Take it easy, and don’t do anything to provoke Henry.

Trying not to! Its looking like we'll have to cancel our first hols in two years as travelling any distance is out of the question, but in the great scheme of things its really nothing much - there are so many folks contending with far greater issues in their lives than a ridiculous hernia!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

I've shaped the Airfix Mk.I's wing lights and part polished them, but since the wings still need a little more shaping and some seams filling there didn't seem much point in spending too much time polishing.

The seams have been dobbed with Mr Dissolved Putty, and that's where I've left things today. No photo, cos basically it's looks the same but blobbier!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks! Good grief! Not much has been occurring, Hurricane-wise, plus a few other distractions have been getting in the way.

However, I had noticed a slightly odd phenomenon with the wing assembly: when viewed head-on a distortion is causing the port side of the lower wing to bulge slightly in the vicinity of the wheel bay, so that it sits prouder than the starboard side. This also has the effect of thickening the wing slightly around the wheel bay. Added to this, the dihedral seems more pronounced on that side as well.

It's a bit difficult to describe, but it you view the leading edge, the wheel opening appears deeper.

This has led me to open a second kit and start to build the wing in an identical way. Bizarrely, it's distorted on the opposite side, effectively a mirror image. It seems to be correctable with care and perhaps immersion in some warm water. We'll see!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That sounds a bit weird. Hope you get it sorted.

Is it the Airfix or the Arma.

Edit: I just read your post in @ModelingEdmontonian's thread. Not like me to open my mouth without brain engaged. :innocent:

Cheers,

Alistair

You're quite right, Alistair - I forgot to mention it was the Airfix kit. Its a bit odd, and I wonder if its a bi-product of the slightly soft plastic they use and the largish and yet flat and thin wing panel. To be honest, it isn't all that noticeable, except that now I know its there I can't unsee it :D 

Pass the aspirin!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3