Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

18 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi ME,

Many apologies for not having posted this sooner - only two-and-a-half days later than promised!

So these are the MicroMesh items I've got. First, the square pads:

http://IMG-20210503-182922074.jpg

And secondly the cloths:

http://IMG-20210503-183030008.jpg

- as supplied, the sheets are all the same size, I've just cut a piece off of the bottom sheet!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark

No worries on the wait... it was worth it for the lovely photography; these brands owe you sponsorship fees for this promotion!  While you have 3 more coarse grades than I do with my set (mine starts at 3200), I think my pads are more or less the same, just less colourful! Now I guess it's the cloths I need to find. I have some nav lights needing clean up so I'll start practicing with these pads and see what happens! I'll post in my WIP... Cheers!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

it was worth it for the lovely photography;

Lol! Bless you!

14 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

these brands owe you sponsorship fees for this promotion!

Now, that'd be nice! :)

15 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

While you have 3 more coarse grades than I do with my set (mine starts at 3200), I think my pads are more or less the same, just less colourful!

To be fair, for the lights, I've only used the 6000 and 12000 - the coarser ones I've been trying out on general sanding where I'm not sure they have much advantage over Tamiya sanding sponges or 3M wet-or-dry paper. I went for the variety pack to see which ones I'd use most - in future, I'd just restock those grades if possible.

18 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Now I guess it's the cloths I need to find.

I found the finest cloths good for a final polish/buff, pending toothpaste final final polish/buff.

20 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I have some nav lights needing clean up so I'll start practicing with these pads and see what happens! I'll post in my WIP

Looking forward to seeing how you get on - just remember to tell yourself, "if he can do it, I certainly can!" 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 22:09, Troy Smith said:

Years ago, I did have a Monograph, one of a series, but I can't remember the author or even where its hiding! Most annoying!

Hmm, there are good books on the Hurricane, but these tend to be  rather specific,   but there is not a really good general book on the Hurricane.  Most are based on the work of F.K. Mason, and   reproduce their faults.

Hi @Troy Smith,

while doing a related Google search, up popped the monograph I was wracking my brains to remember - "Hurricane" by Edward Bishop, published by Airlife. Quite where it's hiding now, I'm not sure, but I seem to recall it and it's brethren (Bristol Beaufighter and Fairey Firefly) were interesting books. Whether the information contained stands up nowadays, of course.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

No actual progress (sorry, Craig ;)), but nevertheless some more mulling.

My copy of the WingLeader book arrived late last week, and I've been spending some enjoyable time reading through it and studying the photographs. I've also been following @steh2o's build, and while I'm not intending to take things to the same degree (hats off, though!), I was quite intrigued by his treatment of the Airfix fabric wing, such that I went back to the book and had another good look. Stefano has filled in more of the fabric texture than I've seen done elsewhere.

So, I would like to post this picture:

http://IMG-20210505-122017914.jpg

Looking at the photos in the WingLeader book, I can see that the Areas 1 and 3 are smooth as per Stefano's build. However, its really difficult to determine from the photos I've got whether Area 2 should also be smooth: perhaps the erudite among us could confirm either way? I've seen it mentioned that paint on the fabric surfaces either dried differently of faded differently to paint on the aluminium surfaces, and looking at the upper surface view of L1648 on page 23 of the WingLeader book seems to indicate that Area 2 is fabric, as it has the tone of the outer wing which is distinctly different the area behind the gun access panels.

Also, the cover strip (for want of a better term) between the inner and outer wing sections, coloured blue on my wing, has also drawn my attention. Again looking at WingLeader page 23, these cover strips on L1648 and a Yugoslavian Hurricane are not finished to conform with the surrounding paintwork. Any ideas why?

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Again looking at WingLeader page 23, these cover strips on L1648 and a Yugoslavian Hurricane are not finished to conform with the surrounding paintwork. Any ideas why?

Not yet been touched up.  the Yugo Hurricane is on a test flight at Langley

later in the war, note the primer on the wing joins

IWM_IWM_LD_3286-001.jpg

By Elsie Dalton Hewland

https://artuk.org/discover/artists/hewland-elsie-dalton-19011979

note in the other images the near photographic detail and attention to colour

50 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking at the photos in the WingLeader book, I can see that the Areas 1 and 3 are smooth as per Stefano's build. However, its really difficult to determine from the photos I've got whether Area 2 should also be smooth:

47757574521_e94ee34caf_b.jpg85 Squadron 02 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

this one took some finding, L1990 LR-R, 56 Sq, pre war

note the difference between metal and fabric

hurrilrr.jpg

and, 85 Sq Lille Seclin, May 1940

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

also

2527541716_722f54a43f_b.jpgHurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

less clear, but if you click the image, note also if you look at the metal and fabric bits of the fuselage, there is a difference. 

I don't know if this is because the fabric is slightly matter in finish, so reflects light in a different way,  or if the paint faded on the fabric faster.

I suspect it's an early war  paint thing, as it's not noticeable later on, only in 39/40 images.

The Wing Leader book is a treat.   :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

hurrilrr.jpg

Interesting photo Troy, as well as the noticeable different paint finish between metal and fabric substrate, note also external gun camera above the wing in line with the undercarriage leg, and the flaps appear to be in a mid position - presumably being cycled by the erks in the cockpit and on the trolley acc. Not sure what the highlighted square patch is on the wing tip either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Interesting photo Troy, as well as the noticeable different paint finish between metal and fabric substrate, note also external gun camera above the wing in line with the undercarriage leg, and the flaps appear to be in a mid position - presumably being cycled by the erks in the cockpit and on the trolley acc. Not sure what the highlighted square patch is on the wing tip either.

Great observations, I'd not noticed the camera gun, and the flaps point is fascinating.  Duly noted.   Patch on wing? early gas detection patch?  Just a patch?

The replacement very faded cowl panel is also of note.

cheers

T

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Not yet been touched up.  the Yugo Hurricane is on a test flight at Langley later in the war, note the primer on the wing joins

Thanks for solving this, Troy! I did wonder about the Yugoslav Hurricane being primer of some sort.

38 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

By Elsie Dalton Hewland

I've seen Elsie Dalton Hewland's pictures before - they're striking in their accuracy for detail and colour.

44 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

hurrilrr.jpg

Thanks for posting this one, I haven't seen it previously but what an incredible difference in tone across the two wing materials between the outer wing and the gun access panels and aft, and again at the wing root where there is fabric again! The two 85 Sqn photos I've seen before - I should have remembered the Lille-Seclin image as that's also very telling of the differences. I'm not sure I've seen the colour photograph of L1940 (appropriate serial!) previously: whether its due to the colour film or not, but the differences seem more subtle than in the monochrome shots - maybe that's down to filters being used by the photographer? Interesting how the fuselage roundels have been altered and the contrast of the "new" camouflage paint: is there also a patch on the fin where the badge has been painted out?

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The Wing Leader book is a treat.   :)

It really is a superb book! Really pleased with it :) 

• Like 1

The Hurricats by Ralph Barker arrived today. Hopefully my copy of Mason will turn up tomorrow, along with some of the kits I've ordered!!!

Just wondering if these books are worth acquiring as well:

http://mmpbooks.com/shop2/scale-plans-no-26-hawker-hurricane-mk-i.html

http://mmpbooks.com/shop2/scale-plans-no-27-hawker-hurricane-mk-ii-iv.html

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Don't know.  THE plans are the ones by Arthur Bentley.   Theoretically available from him, (I never got a response years ago)  but they were published originally in Scale Models Aug/Sep/Oct 1980 in 72nd.   They are only for the Mk.I, but have the cannon wing.   The Mk.II just has a longer nose, and deeper radiator and different carb intake,  so the Bentley plans do cover most of it, and he did do the draft for the Mk.II/IV,  which maybe available direct

I just checked

https://www.albentley-drawings.com/drawings/british-aircraft/hawker-hurricane-mk-i/hawker-hurricane-mk-ii/

1/24 and 1/48th, 

I'd suggest looking out for the original Scale Models magazines.   Their were 1/48th reprint in Model Aircraft Monthly Nov 2005 IIRC as well.

the plan are excellent,  what is often lost over the years is the story of the drawings

35568750533_bc6e7a6f46_b.jpgHurricaneBentleynotescrop_zpsc6a2675f by losethekibble, on Flickr

has a couple of glitches on the prototype drawings, the canopy should be deeper, and the wing, at least initially, straighter.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again, @Troy Smith, a huge "thank you!"

I have heard of the Bentley drawings, but never until now seen them, or a link to them. I'm thinking that a copy of them may be a better investment than the two MMP books. I believe they're the drawings Stefano is using for his build?

I don't know how you view engineering drawings, but to me they're a work of art in their own right, and I could easily see one of these GAs framed and on my wall!

Thanks again, Troy, and kindest regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

These arrived today, along with 2 x Arma and 2 x Airfix Mk.I kits

http://IMG-20210506-124158596.jpg

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

So excited to see this!! No struggling with Romanian options for you, Mark! On the one hand I want to ask you to post lots of pics (especially of the decal guides), but I'm worried if you do I'll want to buy another sheet of decals and I really shouldn't!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

So excited to see this!! No struggling with Romanian options for you, Mark! On the one hand I want to ask you to post lots of pics (especially of the decal guides), but I'm worried if you do I'll want to buy another sheet of decals and I really shouldn't!

Please don't hold your breath, though! And to be honest, its difficult to know which one to do first! Also, I'm a nightmare for trying to cobble together serials that aren't provided on the sheet, so for instance No.4, No.12 or No.13. Depending on photographic evidence, of course. I've never yet been known to take the easy way out :) 

The decals look really nice, they appear commendably thin and in-register; the blue dots at the centre of the pre-War roundels and the King Michael crosses are provided separately. The instruction leaflet is in full colour, although the printing makes the schemes seem a little garish, and there's plenty of detail on each of the aircraft depicted. If you choose carefully, there are enough national markings to do three aircraft: one with pre-War roundels (either No.1 or ex-Yugoslav No.15), one with "standard" crosses (either No.2, No.3 or No.5), and one other ex-Yugoslav (No.14). I've heard great reports of RB Productions, so fingers crossed.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Please don't hold your breath, though! And to be honest, its difficult to know which one to do first! Also, I'm a nightmare for trying to cobble together serials that aren't provided on the sheet, so for instance No.4, No.12 or No.13. Depending on photographic evidence, of course. I've never yet been known to take the easy way out :) 

The decals look really nice, they appear commendably thin and in-register; the blue dots at the centre of the pre-War roundels and the King Michael crosses are provided separately. The instruction leaflet is in full colour, although the printing makes the schemes seem a little garish, and there's plenty of detail on each of the aircraft depicted. If you choose carefully, there are enough national markings to do three aircraft: one with pre-War roundels (either No.1 or ex-Yugoslav No.15), one with "standard" crosses (either No.2, No.3 or No.5), and one other ex-Yugoslav (No.14). I've heard great reports of RB Productions, so fingers crossed.....

Cheers,

Mark

Lol "garish" schemes eh?

I was thinking it would be nice to have a set of the pre-war roundels as they seem interesting, but I imagine I will just at most do one Romanian rag wing and one metal wing, both with King Michael crosses and Mickey and metal wing with the lovely fin flash.

Can't wait to see what you do with them!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

with King Michael crosses and Mickey and metal wing with the lovely fin flash

I expect that'll be my limit, too, but Mickey is a "must"! :) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Can't wait to see what you do with them!

I'm not sure I deserve such epithets, but it is appreciated. Thank you!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Oh dear :( someone's been to see the Vet today.....

Poor Daisy! I hope she's doing well. I like her onesie. If I tried putting something like that on either of our two, blood would flow, and it wouldn't be theirs.

Craig.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Poor Daisy! I hope she's doing well. I like her onesie. If I tried putting something like that on either of our two, blood would flow, and it wouldn't be theirs.

Craig.

Thanks, Craig - she's been spayed, bless her! The onesie is instead of a buster collar, aka The Cone Of Shame :) The vet got her into it, probably while she was still sedated, as I can't imagine she'd put it on willingly. I don't think she's greatly impressed by it: her expression varies between "dejected" and "vengeful"!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That may not be down to the onesie, given what's just happened to her!

Craig.

Absolutely, Craig, the poor little girl had every reason to feel below par. I think the onesie doesn't help how she feels, although its protecting the op site really well she's all bundled up in it. Its the expression on her face, though, dejected and vengeful as I mentioned, but there's also a hint of, "I look ridiculous in this! YOU'VE made me look ridiculous!" :D I shouldn't chuckle, but its hard not to......

Mark

• Haha 1

And in the post today, there was this:

http://IMG-20210507-141748978.jpg

:) 

@Troy Smith put me on to this copy (via Abe Books UK), and while he has mentioned that there are a few inaccuracies to watch out for, I'm very pleased with what is a near fine copy :) 

Although I need to take Jane for her second Covid vaccination tomorrow lunchtime as she's being given the Pfizer version, I'm hoping to get some time at the work bench this weekend, and by way of a bit of prep work I'm periodically dobbing Mr DP on a second Airfix Mk.I wing.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Although I need to take Jane for her second Covid vaccination tomorrow lunchtime as she's being given the Fizer version, I'm hoping to get some time at the work bench this weekend

I don't want to shatter your hopes and dreams but I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday and am feeling distinctly achy and shivery today, far worse than I felt after the first one. My wife, who also got here second jab yesterday is feeling much worse than me. You may have to stand by with the tea and sympathy over the weekend!

Craig.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I don't want to shatter your hopes and dreams but I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday and am feeling distinctly achy and shivery today, far worse than I felt after the first one. My wife, who also got here second jab yesterday is feeling much worse than me. You may have to stand by with the tea and sympathy over the weekend!

Craig.

Sorry to hear that, Craig - hope you both feel better asap!

But that doesn't sound too promising, does it? Two poorly ladies to look after - I'll have my work cut out, I think..... Jane's not a tea drinker, but I'll have to make sure there's cake and chocolate on hand!

I couldn't resist posting just one more pic of Daisy in her onesie - I'll get back to things with wings (not feathered!) soon, honest!

"Honestly, Dad, I mean, how COULD you?"

http://IMG-20210507-111937205-HDR.jpg

• Like 3