Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

18 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

May I suggest no more buying until a Hurricane RFI is complete? ;)

It's a good idea, I have to say, hopefully my Less Than A Tenner F4F will be the first..... :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Welcome to the asylum. No cuddling the boxes or fondling of plastic though.

You'd never catch me doing that. :innocent: and I did not cuddle my new vulcan all night.

Glad to be here ;) but to be clear, I'd never even dream of fondling plastic or cuddling boxes. Oh, wait..... :oops:

17 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Spoilsport

:rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It’s tragic to be away from the site for a couple of days and return to see one of your fellow modellers has been afflicted by KAS (Kit acquisition syndrome), a dread affliction which can only lead to madness and extreme poverty. But fortunately, there is a cure. You must cast out all the foul plastic that is afflicting you so and since you are a friend, I will shoulder the burden of disposing of this toxic material for you. Just put it all in a box and post it up to me, I’ll pm you my address. 

Craig the saintly. 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

It’s tragic to be away from the site for a couple of days and return to see one of your fellow modellers has been afflicted by KAS (Kit acquisition syndrome), a dread affliction which can only lead to madness and extreme poverty. But fortunately, there is a cure. You must cast out all the foul plastic that is afflicting you so and since you are a friend, I will shoulder the burden of disposing of this toxic material for you. Just put it all in a box and post it up to me, I’ll pm you my address. 

Craig the saintly. 

That is such a kind offer Craig.

It's unselfish acts like this that make this community such a wonderful place.

I can only hope that I can live up to the high values you set.

Alistair the acquisitive

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That is such a kind offer Craig.

It's unselfish acts like this that make this community such a wonderful place.

I can only hope that I can live up to the high values you set.

Alistair the acquisitive

Thank you Alistair, it’s truly humbling to be recognised in this way by one such as yourself. Rest assured that should our dear friend fall for this manage to shake off the terrible burden he is bearing, I’ll be happy to share the proceeds with you since building it myself at my usual rate would likely require me to live to 300. 

Craig the even more saintly. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Thank you Alistair, it’s truly humbling to be recognised in this way by one such as yourself. Rest assured that should our dear friend fall for this manage to shake off the terrible burden he is bearing, I’ll be happy to share the proceeds with you since building it myself at my usual rate would likely require me to live to 300. 

Craig the even more saintly. 

And again the magnanimity of your offer is overwhelming.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My dear friends, I am absolutely overwhelmed by the support you're showing me in my time of trouble, and the generosity of your kind offers. This is why I love Britmodeller :)

Please rest assured that I am seeking help, and early indications are previously-undiagnosed KAS, as suggested by Craig, but also SABLE syndrome, which I understand is Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.

If I'm further advised to wean off the plastic addiction, I'll PM you.

Thanks, chaps, it's really great to know you're there for me at this difficult time in my life.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

My dear friends, I am absolutely overwhelmed by the support you're showing me in my time of trouble, and the generosity of your kind offers. This is why I love Britmodeller :)

Please rest assured that I am seeking help, and early indications are previously-undiagnosed KAS, as suggested by Craig, but also SABLE syndrome, which I understand is Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.

If I'm further advised to wean off the plastic addiction, I'll PM you.

Thanks, chaps, it's really great to know you're there for me at this difficult time in my life.

Cheers,

Mark

Glad to know you're getting help for these serious conditions Mark.

I too am a sufferer from STABLE but am going to do my utmost to prove them all wrong as I believe it's just psychobabble in my case. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Glad to know you're getting help for these serious conditions Mark.

I too am a sufferer from STABLE but am going to do my utmost to prove them all wrong as I believe it's just psychobabble in my case. :whistle:

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, it's comforting to know that I'm in good hands, and that with the support and encouragement of my good friends here on BM, I'm hopeful of a complete recovery in due course :)

Also, I'm absolutely sure that you'll continue to be a leading light and inspiration to those of us who are still struggling under the yoke of the plastic master :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

With the greatest of thanks to @Andy G I've now got two currently undistorted Hurricane wing sets :) I've salvaged a couple of the smaller wheel-bay components from the melted wing, and thus we have arrived here:

http://IMG-3785.jpg

http://IMG-3790.jpg

In both instances, the cylinder has been drilled for a replacement pipe, which will be cobbled up from some fine-gauge lead wire:

http://IMG-3791.jpg

The paint is Tamiya rattle can AS-12, which I think will look good for aluminium-doped under-surfaces.

And as that's a pretty poor showing as far as progress is concerned, here are a couple of cute photos of Arthur guarding my stash:

http://IMG-3774.jpg

http://IMG-3770.jpg

Thanks for dropping by! :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

That second photo of Arthur!  😄  I suspect catnip induced hypervigilance.

I look forward to your forthcoming WIP threads on the A6M2 (lovely kit), P-40N (ditto), and the AZ Mohawk (I've not started mine and wish to learn from your mistakes).  🙂

Good to see you back on track with shiny new Hurricane wings!  😎

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Alistair, it's good to get something done, but I really need to up my game  and get something finished. Perhaps I need to do a blitzbuild!

I think I startled Arthur when I stubbed my toe on my chair - I think the Anglo-Saxon invective offended his sensibilities!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, JD! Under normal circumstances I'd agree, but as mentioned above I think he was shocked by my language.....

The Zero is part built (see the link in my sig) and is another window sill queen/waiting for the glue fully harden before I do a bit more to it.

The Mohawk* I've got a great interest in, both RAF and ML-KNIL, the P-40N was a bit of an impulse buy due to a tangential RNZAF interest :) I'm a nightmare for going off at tangents.....

I'm really hoping to get some Hurricanes finished - if I can muster the courage to rescribe the Arma pair, they might see some progress, too!

Cheers,

Mark

" mistakes a-plenty I'm sure there'll be!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think the Anglo-Saxon invective offended his sensibilities!

He'll soon learn. Some of the language that I'm subject to from Mittens would have all Ratings fleeing the ship.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Another long catch-up for me.  "Henry the Hernia"... :(  Ugh.  I'm sorry to hear about that!! Hopefully all is back in order now!

Thanks, Opus :) Unfortunately Henry is still with me, but has stopped grumbling. I was supposed to have a pre-surgery assessment at the beginning of July, which was cancelled as the consultant was going to be off sick (I kid you not!): the appointment is now on the 11th October, so still some time to lose some lockdown pounds :D

The Hurricanes haven't progressed, I'm ashamed to say. The Mk.I is nearest, so after the Tomahawk is done, that'll be my next target!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Sorry to hear that Henry is still giving you gip Mark.  Now that you’ve completed a build, you have undoubtably acquired the knack of finishing and will tear through these like a house on fire!

Craig. 

Thanks, Craig, that very kind of you! 

Henry is generally behaving himself, but the sooner we part company, the better! I had an appointment eight years ago to get him gone, but it was at the time of my marriage breakup and coincided with my daughter's first birthday. I had the opportunity to have Emily for the day so I did which, even with hindsight, I know was the right decision :)

The Tomahawk has been having a bit of attention, and I'm feeling almost energised to finish the Arma Hurricanes. How long that'll last is anyone's guess, particularly as "we're" decorating the lounge at the moment.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

particularly as "we're" decorating the lounge at the moment....

You want to be careful about that. We once redecorated our lounge in a rather fetching light cream and crimson which my wife was very pleased with until a “friend” pointed out that it was an exact match for the old BR Blood and Custard colour scheme. She suspected that this had been my intention all along (even though she had selected the paints) and things were a little frosty around Chateau Dinmont for a while. 

Craig. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

You want to be careful about that. We once redecorated our lounge in a rather fetching light cream and crimson which my wife was very pleased with until a “friend” pointed out that it was an exact match for the old BR Blood and Custard colour scheme. She suspected that this had been my intention all along (even though she had selected the paints) and things were a little frosty around Chateau Dinmont for a while. 

Craig. 

I know what you mean, Craig :) the colour scheme was chosen by Jane, grey and a sort of crimson, so I'm hoping there'll be no repercussions :D Speaking of which, I'd better stop watching Lovejoy and get painting while she's out ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

How I know that feeling, but anything with Phyllis Logan in will kind of grab my attention.

Cheers,

Alistair

True, but it was Series 5 with Caroline Langrishe as Charlotte Cavendish. Still easy on the eye, though ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Turns out the colour "we've" selected (Dulux Ruby Romance!!!) is a dead ringer for BR Carmine..... :(

Cheers,

Mark

At least it's going with grey not cream. That way you don't have to explain anything. :wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair (not stirring at all)

• Haha 2