Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

26 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That's wierd, did the hot water immersion help at all???

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've not tried it yet - I was making relatively good progress, so wanted to quit while I was ahead :)

I'll report back once I've tried it....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

On 6/6/2021 at 5:02 PM, 2996 Victor said:

However, I had noticed a slightly odd phenomenon with the wing assembly: when viewed head-on a distortion is causing the port side of the lower wing to bulge slightly in the vicinity of the wheel bay, so that it sits prouder than the starboard side. This also has the effect of thickening the wing slightly around the wheel bay. Added to this, the dihedral seems more pronounced on that side as well.

It's a bit difficult to describe, but it you view the leading edge, the wheel opening appears deeper.

This has led me to open a second kit and start to build the wing in an identical way. Bizarrely, it's distorted on the opposite side, effectively a mirror image. It seems to be correctable with care and perhaps immersion in some warm water. We'll see!

Surely with your vast collection of kits, the solution is obvious? Just open ‘em all up, devise some sort of jig to allow you to cut the lower portions of the wings precisely in half, then match the halves from the different kits up until you have equal dihedral and bulging on both sides. Simple!

You’re welcome

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Surely with your vast collection of kits, the solution is obvious? Just open ‘em all up, devise some sort of jig to allow you to cut the lower portions of the wings precisely in half, then match the halves from the different kits up until you have equal dihedral and bulging on both sides. Simple!

You’re welcome

Craig. 

Craig, that is an absolutely genius idea! I'll see what I can come up with..... :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Embarrassingly, no progress has taken place with these or any other of my builds, but just to prove that I'm a hopeless acquirer, this happened today:

http://IMG-20210625-161343512.jpg

Where I'll put the darn' thing when it's built, I've no idea..... plus, I really wanted a hemp-camouflaged K.2 with a picture of a saucy lady on the side, but K.2 kits are rarer than hen's teeth.

Hopefully, I'll make some progress on my current builds this weekend, although we have an excursion planned for Saturday afternoon!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Nice acquisition.

I have both versions of this in the pile for future builds.

At some point there will be a wideawake theme with the Vulcan, Victor and Nimrod and I have absolutely no Idea where I'm going to put them.

Have a good trip.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

At some point there will be a wideawake theme with the Vulcan, Victor and Nimrod and I have absolutely no Idea where I'm going to put them.

I'll be moving to a new flat with room to swing a cat more space for my finished work in a few weeks' time, and can forsee an IKEA SYVDE or two on order once I've unpacked everything. Each one could comfortably house 10 1:72nd Vulcans, Victors, Valiants, Nimrods, or Shackletons. A generous depth of over 40 cm makes this feasible!

• Like 2

Alas, Emilio, AKA the Psycho Kitten or Miu, is no more. He had breathing difficulties, which a trip to the vet revealed to be water on the lungs and in his abdominal cavity. To cap it all, he had a heart tumour too. Nine lives were not enough, and he rests at the end of the garden with his friend Clarence, who had the dubious distinction of being run over twice.

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Steve Coombs said:

Alas, Emilio, AKA the Psycho Kitten or Miu, is no more. He had breathing difficulties, which a trip to the vet revealed to be water on the lungs and in his abdominal cavity. To cap it all, he had a heart tumour too. Nine lives were not enough, and he rests at the end of the garden with his friend Clarence, who had the dubious distinction of being run over twice.

That's rough. I'm sorry about that.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Nice acquisition.

I have both versions of this in the pile for future builds.

Have a good trip.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

I'm hoping Airfix will re-release the K.2 kit, and I've contacted them in that vein - Customer Services have forwarded the suggestion to Marketing and Development!

Today's little acquisition came from my LMS, who apparently is awaiting the new Vulcan. I'm tempted.....but that equates to just over eight Hurricanes :D I'd quite like a Valiant, too.

I'll probably be posting something relating to our trip either tomorrow evening or on Sunday. Let's just say it's not model related!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

I'll be moving to a new flat with room to swing a cat more space for my finished work in a few weeks' time, and can forsee an IKEA SYVDE or two on order once I've unpacked everything. Each one could comfortably house 10 1:72nd Vulcans, Victors, Valiants, Nimrods, or Shackletons. A generous depth of over 40 cm makes this feasible!

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your upcoming move! Must say, those cabinets (?) sound like the bee's knees - I could do with some decent shelf space!

I take it you've got a few V-Bombers under your belt? Any pics?

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Poor old fella, so sorry to hear that, Steve :(

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

'll probably be posting something relating to our trip either tomorrow evening or on Sunday. Let's just say it's not model related!

Ooh, mysterious!

Nice acquisition. Lot harder to hide than a 1/72 Hurricane or Mustang though. I hope you know what you’re doing. 

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ooh, mysterious!

Nice acquisition. Lot harder to hide than a 1/72 Hurricane or Mustang though. I hope you know what you’re doing. 

Craig. 

All will be revealed!!! :)

As for knowing what I'm doing, Craig, well that's never happened yet!!! But I've managed to hide the Victor in plain sight, which I'm hoping will work :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I take it you've got a few V-Bombers under your belt? Any pics?

I've had the Nimrod, Valiant, and both Victor kits in the stash for a while, and shall soon have the wherewithal to display them once built! I don't like to leave my finished builds out to become dust magnets. And I am eagerly anticipating the new Vulcan. My mate Chris the Smurf built a couple of the 1980s kit about the time it first came out, and that was an orgy of filling and sanding. I expect the new one will be user-friendlier.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

I've had the Nimrod, Valiant, and both Victor kits in the stash for a while, and shall soon have the wherewithall to display them once built! I don't like to leave my finished builds out to become dust magnets. And I am eagerly anticipating the new Vulcan. My mate Chris the Smurf built a couple of the 1980s kit about the time it first came out, and that was an orgy of filling and sanding. I expect the new one will be user-friendlier.

Excellent! I'll look forward to seeing some WiPs :) I'm hoping that the Victor doesn't need too much filling/sanding, and other builds suggest it doesn't, as most of my shelf queens are mid-fettle.

I think I might have to ask my LMS to reserve a Vulcan for me.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I think I might have to ask my LMS to reserve a Vulcan for me.

That sounds like an eminently sensible plan.

I've had mine on pre order since Nov. 2019 and am desperately hoping that the big H gets enough in the first batch to cover it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That sounds like an eminently sensible plan.

I've had mine on pre order since Nov. 2019 and am desperately hoping that the big H gets enough in the first batch to cover it.

Cheers,

Alistair

I think that's settled, then! :)I do like to support my LMS, and Alan at WD Models in Chesterfield is always very helpful. I've got some PECO Lynton & Barnstaple Railway OO9 wagons on pre-order (also a couple of years in the waiting!), plus he got me an OO9 Bachmann Baldwin 10-12-D 4-6-0T for my Ashover Light Railway project layout.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Well, folks, today's little excursion was a very pleasant trip out to the far side (Dark Side?) of Derby. We went along the lesser roads from Clay Cross down through Belper and Duffield, which is nice scenery, bypassing as it happens, the location for my project Ashover Light Railway layout! And the object of the exercise was to collect a new addition to the family :)

Folks, allow me introduce Arthur:

http://IMG-20210626-184211986.jpg

http://IMG-20210626-184622501.jpg

http://IMG-20210626-190424573.jpg

He's a Persian x Chinchilla, and 10 weeks old, so pointy kitten tails are again present at Victor Towers :) Daisy is, I think, more than a little put out at the sudden arrival of a little brother, but she'll come round in no time. Arthur, on the other hand, is completely chilled already.

I'm afraid this means that the percentage of cat photos to modelling photos is likely to rise substantially, but since there's not much modelling going on at the moment that wouldn't be hard anyway!

Time for a Talisker.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

Well, somebody has settled in rather well.

We've picked up a new refugee recently too. A full blown Siberian and our moggie and he have tolerated each other very well. The moggie is 90% Norwegian Forest and about 10% Maine Coon so both breeds are very affectionate and not too territorial so it's going to work.

Bring on the pics. It's not the internet if there aren't pictures of Cats and Kittens.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

We've picked up a new refugee recently too.

Excellent! I think our next one (not for a while!) needs to be a refugee as well :)

2 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

A full blown Siberian and our moggie and he have tolerated each other very well. The moggie is 90% Norwegian Forest and about 10% Maine Coon so both breeds are very affectionate and not too territorial so it's going to work.

Both quite large breeds, then, although 10% Maine Coon should be manageable?

Daisy and Arthur's first meeting was a bit "arched backs and bottle-brush tails" - hilarious, especially with a kitten, and Daisy has retired upstairs. Although, to be fair, she spends a lot of time upstairs anyway. They'll be fine! I'm sure they will. Won't they? :D

I'm not sure I can cope with two on the workbench, though, but we'll see :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

They'll be fine! I'm sure they will. Won't they

Absolutely they will.

In no time they'll be shoving each other out of the way to get to the favoured food bowl.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AliGauld said:

Absolutely they will.

In no time they'll be shoving each other out of the way to get to the favoured food bowl.

Cheers,

Alistair

Arthur has already been sampling Daisy's food, which is hilarious since we were given the strictest dietary instructions you can imagine!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1