Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

30 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I must have been lucky as I didn't have the bowing issue as far as I recall on the Airfix  Hurricanes I   I think they are a cracking kit especially considering the price of the kit, I got as much enjoyment from the Airfix kits as I did from the Arma kit.  

You certainly seem to be cornering the Market with the Arma Hurricanes!!!

Chris

When it comes to the joy I am getting from assembling kits, Airfix wins hands down. That said, Arma kits are impressive, and the decals and especially the instructions are simply gorgeous! I find flipping through the Arma instruction booklets inspiring!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I was just gluing the forward wall on one of my Airfix Mk I wheel wells last night and experienced that bowing you describe. Once it was all together I felt it corrected (enough), but had me frustrated initially, that's for sure. The wheel well issue I can't resolve is getting that little C1 piece in that you're not instructed to add until step 12 (not sure why that late, may as well add it once wings are together, IMO).

I know what you mean, ME, and I think my first attempt would/will be absolutely fine!

As for part C1, I really don't know. Arma Hobby don't include the pipe section, which is odd. On my first go, I cut the pipe off and added the cylinder first. I haven't figured out how to fit the pipe bit.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I recommend using a dry fitted upper wing to use as jig for aligning the front spar, tape together, get aligned, use capillary action of liquid glue on lower wing.  the the rear wall, and then jiggle in the cross pieces.

But, I agree, the plastic seems to be 10% soap  :(

Thanks, Troy, that's sound advice - I've gone halfway there, using the upper wing as a jig and wicking MEK into the spar-to-lower wing joint. Probably would have been a better bet to tape the wings panels together while the joints set.....

Not quite head on, so make the wings thicker.   Also, have a look at the Bentley drawings I linked.

Thanks again - the Bentley drawings are incredibly helpful. The head-on photo you posted shows much less dihedral than the Airfix wings have - I know the location pins need to be removed, which will help!

Cheers,

Mark

11 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I haven't figured out how to fit the pipe bit.....

lead wire or thin solder.  Drill hole in well centre tunnel, hole in main spar, it soft enough to be pushed to fit.

Just to prove I do on occasion practice what I preach.... 

50407550728_558b4e2a63_b.jpg50620197 by losethekibble, on Flickr

4 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Probably would have been a better bet to tape the wings panels together while the joints set.....

Yes.  The other way, use superglue. Greater stuff up potential, but fast.    I'm a fan of tacking with SG, and then wicking in TET when happy, or just using superglue like you used to poly cement.... you have a few seconds to panic before it sets! 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I must have been lucky as I didn't have the bowing issue as far as I recall on the Airfix  Hurricanes I   I think they are a cracking kit especially considering the price of the kit, I got as much enjoyment from the Airfix kits as I did from the Arma kit.  

You certainly seem to be cornering the Market with the Arma Hurricanes!!!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I think the Airfix kit is a great little kit, and I'm looking forward to getting further on with it! It's got it's issues, which other BMers have mentioned, but nothing fundamental. And for the price, what can you say!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Sorry to go back so far in your thread, @2996 Victor, but after completing an Arma Mk I and as I start off on my next Arma Mk I I'm just admiring how nicely you did your internals! I'm still postponing using the PE myself, but even so I can't get over how fiddly this all is! You are evidently very skilled and patient (pretty sure on my first go all three tubing pieces ended up cracked, one in two or three places 🤦‍♂️). At some point I would like to open up the canopies on my Armas, especially now that I see what they can look like inside! Anyway, all this to say: well done!

No worries!

Thank you for your incredibly kind words - I'm not sure I deserve such accolades! Those PE parts are diabolically fiddly, and to be honest I'm not sure they're worth the bother, particularly with the sidewalls. I guess it needs doing once :)

The cockpit tube framing is quite fragile, it definitely needs a kid glove approach. What are you using to cut parts from the sprues? What I use is a pair of these to separate the parts from the sprue frames, and then trim any bits of sprue with a scalpel. It doesn't always work.....

Thanks again for your kind words!

Cheers,

Mark

When it comes to the joy I am getting from assembling kits, Airfix wins hands down. That said, Arma kits are impressive, and the decals and especially the instructions are simply gorgeous! I find flipping through the Arma instruction booklets inspiring!

I haven't got too far into the Airfix kit yet, but I'm quietly Impressed so far.

The Arma kits are beautifully designed and detailed, almost too well in some ways. A coat of paint is enough to upset the fit of the parts.....

Cheers,

Mark

55 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

lead wire or thin solder.  Drill hole in well centre tunnel, hole in main spar, it soft enough to be pushed to fit.

Brilliant!

56 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Yes.  The other way, use superglue. Greater stuff up potential, but fast.    I'm a fan of tacking with SG, and then wicking in TET when happy, or just using superglue like you used to poly cement.... you have a few seconds to panic before it sets! 

Sounds like a good method, although I have a morbid fear of getting it wrong with super glue!

Cheers,

Mark

So really this needs to be done before the wings are fitted? Can't wait to try this, although too late for one of them! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

The cockpit tube framing is quite fragile, it definitely needs a kid glove approach. What are you using to cut parts from the sprues? What I use is a pair of these to separate the parts from the sprue frames, and then trim any bits of sprue with a scalpel. It doesn't always work.....

These are my weapons, mostly the nippers... I think with some caution and experience I may be able to keep my snaps and cracks to only one or two this time instead of five or six 😋

y4mCvDx90cHViZKcopGeE1FVv9Bh6y8JbwAS4iRs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

These are my weapons, mostly the nippers... I think with some caution and experience I may be able to keep my snaps and cracks to only one or two this time instead of five or six 😋

Pretty much what I use - snaps and cracks are inevitable - the greatest test is Airfix's Tomahawk IIb/P-40B/C control column :)

Cheers,

Mark

3 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Pretty much what I use - snaps and cracks are inevitable - the greatest test is Airfix's Tomahawk IIb/P-40B/C control column :)

Cheers,

Mark

Yeah, inevitable is how I feel too; wouldn't be so bad except the Arma kits allow no space for parts shifting, and once cracked the tubing is just off enough to cause problems. My first Mk I's cockpit has only about half of what it should inside after I was done cutting/filing/sanding/snipping to get the fuselage to fit together 🤣 Didn't even photograph, and wouldn't post even if I did. Anyway, yours is extraordinary compared to mine! Maybe by #4 I'll get close to that! And if not, maybe I'll do a #5...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

snaps and cracks are inevitable

you could try a hot wire or blade.  Maybe a very thin soldering iron tip, or a wire on a soldering iron? 

40 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

My first Mk I's cockpit has only about half of what it should inside after I was done cutting/filing/sanding/snipping to get the fuselage to fit together

drill out the frame mounting holes in the fuselage helps. 

I described what I did here in some detail,  it was fiddly, but it did all fit with some adjustment.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/

With some care and patience, and sometimes a bit of lateral thinking, it's a great kit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

50407550728_558b4e2a63_b.jpg50620197 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Just realized I think we mixed up which kits we were talking about when referring to this wheel well piping! This is the Arma kit, isn't it Troy? I think Mark and I were talking about the Airfix one.

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

you could try a hot wire or blade.  Maybe a very thin soldering iron tip, or a wire on a soldering iron? 

drill out the frame mounting holes in the fuselage helps. 

I described what I did here in some detail,  it was fiddly, but it did all fit with some adjustment.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080866-hurricane-mki-arma-hobby-72nd-scheme-tbc/

With some care and patience, and sometimes a bit of lateral thinking, it's a great kit.

I only now realized you did an Arma too! Going through that thread now... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Just realized I think we mixed up which kits we were talking about when referring to this wheel well piping! This is the Arma kit, isn't it Troy? I think Mark and I were talking about the Airfix one.

Bizarrely, the piping is missing from the Arma kits, so the soft wire method is a brilliant idea to replicate it. As far as the Airfix kit goes, the pipe seems a bit out shape, so the soft wire method makes a sensible replacement there, too!

I just need to get some wire.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Regrettably, very little has happened on the Hurricane front, or indeed anywhere else. All I've managed to do is to add in the ends of the wheel bays on the Airfix Mk.I, and sand, lightly prime and re-sand the Mr Dissolved Putty on the wheel bay roof ejector pin marks:

http://IMG-20210516-120655783.jpg

Meanwhile, I've signed up for a couple of Group Builds, and have started my first one which can be found here.

But aside from this, mojo is a little bit low at the moment as I'm a tad under the weather: without going into details (and without wanting to sound like I'm seeking sympathy!) I've a hernia which has decided to make its presence felt, and which makes sitting at the work table a trifle uncomfortable. Thankfully, I'm on the road to getting it sorted out, but progress may be even slower than normal!

Cheers for now, m'dears,

Mark

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Regrettably, very little has happened on the Hurricane front, or indeed anywhere else. All I've managed to do is to add in the ends of the wheel bays on the Airfix Mk.I, and sand, lightly prime and re-sand the Mr Dissolved Putty on the wheel bay roof ejector pin marks:

http://IMG-20210516-120655783.jpg

Meanwhile, I've signed up for a couple of Group Builds, and have started my first one which can be found here.

But aside from this, mojo is a little bit low at the moment as I'm a tad under the weather: without going into details (and without wanting to sound like I'm seeking sympathy!) I've a hernia which has decided to make its presence felt, and which makes sitting at the work table a trifle uncomfortable. Thankfully, I'm on the road to getting it sorted out, but progress may be even slower than normal!

Cheers for now, m'dears,

Mark

Feel better quick, Mark!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Feel better quick, Mark!

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Get yourself sorted first. Plastic can wait.

Thanks, chaps, it's really appreciated :)

It's a silly thing that I should have got sorted years ago, but for various reasons didn't. Moral - if you've got a hernia, get it fixed quick!!!

I'm still hoping to get some modelling in from time to time as and when I feel up to it - it's being "hunched over the bench" that's not so good!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hope you feel better soon Mark .

Chris

Thanks, Chris! It's fine - just something that needs sorting out before it blows up! 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Ouch! That doesn’t sound at all pleasant. Hope it gets sorted out soon. Have you thought about setting up some sort of temporary standing workbench? My wife has a bad back and uses a standing desk when working and swears by it. Might be worth thinking about. After all, those group builds aren’t going to wait!

Craig. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ouch! That doesn’t sound at all pleasant. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

52 minutes ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the hernia Mark and I hope you get it sorted :) 

Thanks, chaps, greatly appreciated! I've been referred for corrective surgery so I'm waiting for a date. I've had the thing for years, bemoaning it as its slowly grown larger, but it's never really caused any problems until now. Nevertheless, I should have sorted it out sooner and not waited so long! I'll be a new man once its done :yahoo: 

58 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Have you thought about setting up some sort of temporary standing workbench? My wife has a bad back and uses a standing desk when working and swears by it. Might be worth thinking about.

That's a brilliant idea, Craig! Actually, we've got an island worktop in the kitchen which is a good height, so I might be able to do a bit stood at that :) The light isn't that good, but I've got my anglepoise so could bring that through. I'll give that a go!

Hope your good lady's back problem is only short term.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 3