Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

She's a real cutie isn't she? 

I've been meaning to ask, just how many Hurricanes do you have on the bench or in your stash now? Have you hit double figures yet? I'm beginning to think you may have a problem....😄

Craig.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

She's a real cutie isn't she? 

I've been meaning to ask, just how many Hurricanes do you have on the bench or in your stash now? Have you hit double figures yet? I'm beginning to think you may have a problem....😄

Craig.

Thanks, Craig, we think she's a little cracker :) 

Hurricanes.....um.....excuse me while I just go and count them up!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

So....in my stash are

2 x Arma Mk.I

2 x Arma Mk.IIb/c

3 x Arma Mk.IIb/c overtrees

1 x Airfix Mk.I plus two more on order

I make that ten!

On my workbench

1 x Arma Mk.I

1 x Arma Mk.IIc

2 x Airfix Mk.I (although I'm not sure if one might yet be relegated to the parts bin)

Oh, and there's a very old Airfix Mk.IIc lurking around somewhere as well :) 

Fifteen in total? Is that grounds for concern? :mental:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I know that vengeful look only too well. 

Watch your toes when you're asleep. They will be a legitimate target. 😉

Cheers,

Alistair

I know what you mean - she's very good at night-time attacks!

Which reminds me of a family friend, Chris - he and my Dad worked together many, many years ago - who had a cat that rejoiced in the name of Three Star Puss. Three Star Puss had six toes on his paws, as I recall, which was ironic as Chris would tease Three (not in a nasty way) - Three would lie in wait for Chris to go to the bathroom in the dead of night before attacking and sinking all 24 claws plus teeth into Chris's ankles! :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Not concern just a healthy interest.

Cheers,

Alistair

Phew! Thanks, Alistair! At what point does it become a cause for concern? Asking for a friend.....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Phew! Thanks, Alistair! At what point does it become a cause for concern? Asking for a friend.....

It's never a concern.

You're just working towards your PHD Thesis. 

That's my take on it.  :lalala::innocent:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

When Jane starts adding them up. You may wish to investigate off-site storage.

Craig.

Good point, Craig, I might have to give that some consideration..... the garage is no good as that's already got some of Jane's stuff in it and I never go up into the loft, so using that could lead to questions :hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

So....in my stash are

2 x Arma Mk.I

2 x Arma Mk.IIb/c

3 x Arma Mk.IIb/c overtrees

1 x Airfix Mk.I plus two more on order

I make that ten!

On my workbench

1 x Arma Mk.I

1 x Arma Mk.IIc

2 x Airfix Mk.I (although I'm not sure if one might yet be relegated to the parts bin)

Oh, and there's a very old Airfix Mk.IIc lurking around somewhere as well :) 

Fifteen in total? Is that grounds for concern? :mental:

I'd say this is a sign of a health and general well-roundedness ;) Is Arma giving you bulk discounts yet? 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'd say this is a sign of a health and general well-roundedness ;) 

Excellent! I'm happy to run with that! :)

8 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Is Arma giving you bulk discounts yet? 

i wish....!

5 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent! I'm happy to run with that! :)

i wish....!

I'm an accountant, so love spreadsheets; I have a Hawker Hurricane spreadsheet to track all of my kits, camo schemes, decals, etc.! It also tracks how much I've spent on my "Hawker Hurricanes around the world" project...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I'm an accountant, so love spreadsheets; I have a Hawker Hurricane spreadsheet to track all of my kits, camo schemes, decals, etc.! It also tracks how much I've spent on my "Hawker Hurricanes around the world" project...

I've got an Excel spreadsheet, too, for all my planned builds, with brief details of which squadron/aircraft/serial if known, and details of any aftermarket parts, decals if not kit and colour scheme, also any links/notes!

I dare not tot up how much I'm spending..... :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Not concern just a healthy interest.

Cheers,

Alistair

I agree!

So, what if I have 10+ Skyhawks, Tigers II, Legacy Hornets, etc????? I do plan to build them, honestly, at some point, eventually, I think:hmmm:and wish:pray:!!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've got an Excel spreadsheet, too, for all my planned builds, with brief details of which squadron/aircraft/serial if known, and details of any aftermarket parts, decals if not kit and colour scheme, also any links/notes!

I dare not tot up how much I'm spending..... :D 

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to calculate costs that involve currency exchange, shipping charges allocated to individual items, a "per kit" cost calculation that factors in decals, paint, other supplies, etc....

In "normal" times I like traveling all over the world, so it wasn't too hard to justify spending much less money on "around the world" Hawker Hurricanes when I'm stuck at home!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shalako said:

I agree!

So, what if I have 10+ Skyhawks, Tigers II, Legacy Hornets, etc????? I do plan to build them, honestly, at some point, eventually, I think:hmmm:and wish:pray:!!!

Absolutely! I've also got a stack of Spitfires, a gathering of Gladiators, a mound of Mustangs and a mass of Mohawks. Oh, and a small heap of Hiens. Plus all the other odds and sods :)

Planning future builds is all part of the fun, and if you're a bit of a dilletante, as I am, buying a few extra kits "for one day" is fine - they're usually sellable if a change of mind takes place!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to calculate costs that involve currency exchange, shipping charges allocated to individual items, a "per kit" cost calculation that factors in decals, paint, other supplies, etc....

Very reasonable, I'd say! I just didn't want to frighten myself too much. Plus, I don't like having concrete evidence around..... :rofl2:

41 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

In "normal" times I like traveling all over the world, so it wasn't too hard to justify spending much less money on "around the world" Hawker Hurricanes when I'm stuck at home!

Again, makes perfect sense to me! Although, while I enjoy travelling, I don't get to do it much, even in "normal times"!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Well, as prophesied by Craig, not much modelling occurred over the weekend..... Ah, well!

What little did take place involved the Airfix Mk.I, or, to be a little more accurate, the second Airfix Mk.I. The reason for this is that I wasn't entirely happy with how the wheel bay of the first one had gone together: there is some solvent glue ooze in a visible but difficult to clean up area, and the part that forms the forward "wall" of the wheel bay (the front main spar?) has taken on a definite bow due, I think, to the sections right-angles on each end interfering with the rear "wall" moulded into the lower wing section. So, for the second one, I cut off the right-angled ends and presto! it seems to have gone together nice and straight:

http://IMG-20210510-151408929.jpg

I'll replace the missing pieces with short sections of evergreen styrene strip.

Comparisons:

http://IMG-20210510-153655398.jpg

Number One above and Number Two below.

Ejector pin marks filled with Mr Dissolved Putty and scraped/sanded back:

http://IMG-20210510-153748710.jpg

Unfortunately, there were a couple of tiny air bubbles in the Mr DP, so a little more has been applied, but not before another quick assembly check:

http://IMG-20210510-151235460.jpg

Think that's okay!

I'm aware of the upper to lower wing issues of this kit, but it seems to have significantly greater dihedral than the equivalent Arma Hobby metal-winged Hurricanes. Is that correct.....? :hmmm:

Thanks for looking in, comments and suggestions always welcome!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm aware of the upper to lower wing issues of this kit, but it seems to have significantly greater dihedral than the equivalent Arma Hobby metal-winged Hurricanes. Is that correct.....? :hmmm:

Cheers,

Mark

It has to do with the quality of the plastic Airfix is using. I have experienced the same issue with many of the new-moulds kits. It's the plastic that is very soft and change the form of larger parts. 

I wish Airfix will do something about it because it is getting really annoying, buying a new kit and when opening the box, seeing the wrapped parts.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Well, as prophesied by Craig, not much modelling occurred over the weekend..... Ah, well!

What little did take place involved the Airfix Mk.I, or, to be a little more accurate, the second Airfix Mk.I. The reason for this is that I wasn't entirely happy with how the wheel bay of the first one had gone together: there is some solvent glue ooze in a visible but difficult to clean up area, and the part that forms the forward "wall" of the wheel bay (the front main spar?) has taken on a definite bow due, I think, to the sections right-angles on each end interfering with the rear "wall" moulded into the lower wing section. So, for the second one, I cut off the right-angled ends and presto! it seems to have gone together nice and straight:

http://IMG-20210510-151408929.jpg

I'll replace the missing pieces with short sections of evergreen styrene strip.

Comparisons:

http://IMG-20210510-153655398.jpg

Number One above and Number Two below.

Ejector pin marks filled with Mr Dissolved Putty and scraped/sanded back:

http://IMG-20210510-153748710.jpg

Unfortunately, there were a couple of tiny air bubbles in the Mr DP, so a little more has been applied, but not before another quick assembly check:

http://IMG-20210510-151235460.jpg

Think that's okay!

Cheers,

Mark

I was just gluing the forward wall on one of my Airfix Mk I wheel wells last night and experienced that bowing you describe. Once it was all together I felt it corrected (enough), but had me frustrated initially, that's for sure. The wheel well issue I can't resolve is getting that little C1 piece in that you're not instructed to add until step 12 (not sure why that late, may as well add it once wings are together, IMO).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm aware of the upper to lower wing issues of this kit,

I recommend using a dry fitted upper wing to use as jig for aligning the front spar, tape together, get aligned, use capillary action of liquid glue on lower wing.  the the rear wall, and then jiggle in the cross pieces.

But, I agree, the plastic seems to be 10% soap  :(

38 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

but it seems to have significantly greater dihedral than the equivalent Arma Hobby metal-winged Hurricanes. Is that correct.....?

Not quite head on, so make the wings thicker.   Also, have a look at the Bentley drawings I linked.

125891026_3621445267937391_5972418395709

via farcebook, so save it if you want it as reference.  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 1:03 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Hello, dear Reader(s?),

I actually have some progress to report on both my Arma Hurricanes :) 

The pilots' seats are fitted with seatbelts, the IPs have their compasses (compii?), the cockpit sidewalls are fitted again and the seat assemblies are fitted to port fuselage sides.

I've also added a thin wash of a mucky dark browny-black made from Humbrol weathering powders mixed into water with a dot of washing up liquid added - I'm not really sure that its been that successful, and may try again with a darker mix. I've also spread this around the wheel bays on both, and I'll waft a little matt lacquer over it to seal it before I button up the fuselages. Pics:

Assembly line:

http://IMG-2891.jpg

Mk.I cockpit:

http://IMG-2898.jpg

http://IMG-2890.jpg

Mk.IIc cockpit:

http://IMG-2897.jpg

http://IMG-2883.jpg

There are a couple of cock-ups, namely I've done the Mk.I's seatbelt arrangement the same as the Mk.IIc's, which according to Eduards's instructions it shouldn't be, and there's a nice blob of red paint on the Mk.IIc's cockpit sidewall behind the throttle quadrants :( Just don't tell anyone.....

I'm also rather disappointed in how it all looks a bit duff in the cruel close-up of the photographs when in the flesh so-to-speak it all looks rather splendid. Ho hum!

Anyways, after spending what seems like an age on the fiddly bits, I'm looking forward to buttoning these two together and having them actually look like miniature aeroplanes!

Cheers for now,

Mark

Sorry to go back so far in your thread, @2996 Victor, but after completing an Arma Mk I and as I start off on my next Arma Mk I I'm just admiring how nicely you did your internals! I'm still postponing using the PE myself, but even so I can't get over how fiddly this all is! You are evidently very skilled and patient (pretty sure on my first go all three tubing pieces ended up cracked, one in two or three places 🤦‍♂️). At some point I would like to open up the canopies on my Armas, especially now that I see what they can look like inside! Anyway, all this to say: well done!

• Thanks 1

I must have been lucky as I didn't have the bowing issue as far as I recall on the Airfix  Hurricanes I   I think they are a cracking kit especially considering the price of the kit, I got as much enjoyment from the Airfix kits as I did from the Arma kit.  

You certainly seem to be cornering the Market with the Arma Hurricanes!!!

Chris

• Like 2