Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

8 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I didn't realise that there were underwing bulges on the Mk.IId wing.

There aren't (AFAIK) it's on the upper wing,  and replaces the D door seen on the Belgrade Mk.IV

the Rolls Royce gun bulge is seen clearly on the wing here though on KX405

Hawker-Hurricane-V-Trop-RAF-KX405-01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Very interesting - definitely looks like woven bamboo or some from of woven rush matting. Obviously does the job the PSP does, but has the advantage that it can be made from materials readily to hand without the need to transport bulky pre-formed sheets.

It maybe just have been used in dispersal areas,  at least one of these Bengal airstrips was quite cut off.  the PSP come in relatively small sections though,  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat#:~:text=A single piece weighed about,about two-thirds as much.

"A single piece weighed about 66 pounds and was 10 ft (3.0 m) long by 15 in (0.38 m) wide. The hole pattern for the sheet was produced to allow easier transportation by aircraft, since it weighed about two-thirds as much."

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

There aren't (AFAIK) it's on the upper wing,  and replaces the D door seen on the Belgrade Mk.IV

the Rolls Royce gun bulge is seen clearly on the wing here though on KX405

Hawker-Hurricane-V-Trop-RAF-KX405-01.jpg

Thanks, Troy! Apologies for the confusion - so much to learn :)

Cheers,

Mark

22 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Very interesting - definitely looks like woven bamboo or some from of woven rush matting. Obviously does the job the PSP does, but has the advantage that it can be made from materials readily to hand without the need to transport bulky pre-formed sheets.

Looks like simple palm frond panel matting to me,..... widely used in India,..... the accomodation bashas were lined with it. 

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/palm-mat-wall.html

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 6:45 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi ME,

I know exactly what you mean about the lights - they're really nicely moulded and quite easy to colour to represent the bulbs. But cleaning them up is a nightmare when you're as butter-fingered and ham-fisted as me! Sorry I didn't post my little trick sooner - I move at a glacial pace - but I'm glad to hear it'll be useful in future!

For cleaning them up, I think I mentioned starting off with an emery board, but any rigid sanding stick will do as it enables you to follow the contours of the wing more easily. I then used some 1000 grade wet-or-dry sandpaper - I always use top quality 3M meant for the automotive trade, not the DIY store stuff! Sanding wet gives a finer finish, and using a spot of washing-up liquid reduces surface tension and helps prevent the paper becoming clogged (which causes more scratching). Then I went to MicroMesh, first using a 6000 grade polishing pad, and then 12000 grade polishing cloth. I expect they'll need some Kleer or some such to finish. The secret is using progressively finer grades to work out the scratches. The thing to note with MicroMesh grades is that they don't equate to "normal" abrasive grades!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark 

How do these look, Mark? Right stuff?

y4mBOS_5z9Y4LPl5UttE50cpOvt4M6zCX2PmbOFL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Hi ME,

The ones I got were the ones with the fancy colours - I think they were described as "regular". MicroMesh do, I think, three different ranges for different applications like metals, ceramics etc, and the ones I went for were supposed to be suitable for plastics.

But yes, those are the same style.

I also got a variety pack (sounds like crisps!) of their sheets. Cloth-backed like emery cloth so very good for curved surfaces.

I'll get a quick photo tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:00 AM, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dave,

Does the toothpaste polish also affect the flat coat surrounding the lenses?

The answer is it does, but not enough to be significant. If you mask off right along the edge of the clear part, the toothpaste cant do its thing along the edges so you're left with a clear middle and somewhat frosty edges. Keep in mind that the surface area we're talking about is very small, but i do find that offsetting the masking tape from the edge a little bit makes a difference.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, David H said:

The answer is it does, but not enough to be significant. If you mask off right along the edge of the clear part, the toothpaste cant do its thing along the edges so you're left with a clear middle and somewhat frosty edges. Keep in mind that the surface area we're talking about is very small, but i do find that offsetting the masking tape from the edge a little bit makes a difference.

Thanks, Dave, that was pretty much what I thought, so very good to know!

I've been hoping / looking forward to getting some paint on the Arma Mk.I this weekend, but not managed any time at my work bench, so once again it's looking increasingly unlikely.

Cheers,

Mark

I meant to add that, going forward, while I'm generally intending to use only limited aftermarket parts (instrument panel, seat belts, a few odds and sods), I was looking at the exhaust manifolds provided by both Arma and Airfix.

Have to say that in both cases, they seem quite disappointing. And as they're not only readily visible and on the Hurricane quite distinctive, I've ordered some replacement parts: Quickboost early Mk.I "kidney" style, SBS later Mk.I "round" style, and Quickboost Mk.II "fishtail" style. Should be interesting to see what they're like!

Cheers for now!

Mark

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Looks like simple palm frond panel matting to me,..... widely used in India,..... the accomodation bashas were lined with it. 

Possibly, but it looks to me a bit heavier duty than that, if not bamboo, perhaps rattan?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I was looking at the exhaust manifolds provided by both Arma and Airfix.

Have to say that in both cases, they seem quite disappointing.

"I had a go at drilling out the exhaust, using one of my favourite tools, a sewing needle in a pinchuck, to make pilot holes, the back is easy, the front ones used two, on either side, and a smaller drill bit, which was the used to join the holes up. "

50408407477_5524ae9651_o.jpg

Note my drill are just a cheap set that run from 0.3mm to 1.6mm,   the trick really is needle as a centre point, and a sharp scalpel blade to finish, though I may have just got away with the drill bit to join the holes up. (it was a while back)

Also, if it goes wrong, you can always then get some AM bits...  

For other types, black paint and then use the main body colour to add the 'edge'  as unless you are in macro close up mode, you won't see the difference, of course, you will know...... 

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

"I had a go at drilling out the exhaust, using one of my favourite tools, a sewing needle in a pinchuck, to make pilot holes, the back is easy, the front ones used two, on either side, and a smaller drill bit, which was the used to join the holes up. "

50408407477_5524ae9651_o.jpg

Note my drill are just a cheap set that run from 0.3mm to 1.6mm,   the trick really is needle as a centre point, and a sharp scalpel blade to finish, though I may have just got away with the drill bit to join the holes up. (it was a while back)

Also, if it goes wrong, you can always then get some AM bits...  

For other types, black paint and then use the main body colour to add the 'edge'  as unless you are in macro close up mode, you won't see the difference, of course, you will know...... 

HTH

Hi Troy,

Thanks for this - great technique to use a needle for the pilot hole, I've used a sharp scalpel point in the past which was okay, but I fear my limitation would be getting it centred in the first place. Nevertheless, I'm determined to give it a go! I've got a decently comprehensive micro drill set and a couple of pin chucks, so I'll see how it goes!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

great technique to use a needle for the pilot hole,

It's a really useful tool.   I use it to apply tiny drop of super glue,  as a scraper for deepening detail, for restoring panel lines, as a centre punch and making neat holes in my fingers...  

I've used a sharp scalpel point in the past which was okay, but I fear my limitation would be getting it centred in the first place.

the needle works.  in doubt, try on scrap.  drill bits wander, without a pilot hole.  It why I have a cutdown screwdriver centre point I got from a jumble as a centre point in the cordless drill box. 

Nevertheless, I'm determined to give it a go!

it messes up, go AM, it works, feel quietly chuffed,    and post a macro photo on here to show how clever you are ;) 

What I mean really is there is a lot to be said for reminding folks of some model making basics, sure there is AM, but that can be a safety net,  and little things like this all add to the skill set.

A couple of chaps here who are very good at the 'back to basics' kit upgrading are @Alex Gordon and @AdrianMF

well worth perusing their WIP for 'how to's' 

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Troy,what did you want to borrow?

Mark old fruit,cracking work so far.I haven't worked a set of 1/72nd exhausts for years but I did this on a 1/48 Spitfire in last years Spitfire/Seafire GB.

tyAwQwp.jpg

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Edited by Alex Gordon
Dyslexic Keyboard.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

but I fear my limitation would be getting it centred in the first place.

Don't worry too much about getting it bob on first go.

Start lightly just to make a faint mark, and eye up your handiwork.

If it's slightly off, look which way it wants to go and move the needle to the edge of your first mark in line with where you want to move the mark and press it in, angling towards your first mark and bringing it vertical as you push (gently!) 

Eye it up again, if it's still off, try again. 

You should find that you can move that first point around in the plastic until its in the right place (or your pincushion falls apart!)

Once it's central you can use  a bit more force to deepen it, do this gently and check as you go.

If it does look like its going to look like a pincushion and you're not going to get it centred, just fill and sand and it should be back to where you started, or, as Troy says, go AM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Troy,

Thank you for the extra pointers!

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It's a really useful tool.   I use it to apply tiny drop of super glue,  as a scraper for deepening detail, for restoring panel lines, as a centre punch and making neat holes in my fingers...  

I think I need to sort out one of these jobbies - at the moment, I use a piece of gradually shortening brass wire as a super glue applicator. I think an extra, dedicated, pin chuck is needed.

Not so sure about the making holes in fingers, though :)

the needle works.  in doubt, try on scrap.  drill bits wander, without a pilot hole.  It why I have a cutdown screwdriver centre point I got from a jumble as a centre point in the cordless drill box. 

I've always found that drill bits wander in a most frustrating way, hence using a scalpel point. But that can be difficult to line up as well, and the pilot ends up off centre! Not very useful!

it messes up, go AM, it works, feel quietly chuffed,    and post a macro photo on here to show how clever you are ;) 

I like it! :D

What I mean really is there is a lot to be said for reminding folks of some model making basics, sure there is AM, but that can be a safety net,  and little things like this all add to the skill set.

A very good point, and I agree wholeheartedly. AM is all well and good (mostly), but I'm guilty of becoming just a bit lazy thanks to its availability. I used to do quite a bit of scratch building (mostly railway wagons, which are simple boxes, really) and there's a great feeling of accomplishment in making a detail part. Or upgrading a moulding such as exhaust manifolds.

A couple of chaps here who are very good at the 'back to basics' kit upgrading are @Alex Gordon and @AdrianMF

well worth perusing their WIP for 'how to's' 

I've seen some of Adrian's stuff and been highly impressed. Alex, apologies, but I'm afraid I've so far missed your WiPs (not sure why) but I'll be looking through the Spitfire build you linked for starters. Thank you :)

Thanks again, Troy, it's appreciated enormously!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

Cheers Troy,what did you want to borrow?

Mark old fruit,cracking work so far.I haven't worked  set of 1/72nd exhausts for years but I did this on a 1/48 Spitfire in last years Spitfire/Seafire GB.

tyAwQwp.jpg

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Hi Alex,

Many, many thanks for your kind words - praise indeed, if I may say so! Thanks also for the link to your 1/48 Spitfire build - I haven't had a chance to look closely at it, but that's next on my list!

The exhausts in the photo look very impressive, and I'll be seeing what techniques I can pinch, if that's okay?

Thanks again and kind regards!

Mark

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Don't worry too much about getting it bob on first go.

Start lightly just to make a faint mark, and eye up your handiwork.

If it's slightly off, look which way it wants to go and move the needle to the edge of your first mark in line with where you want to move the mark and press it in, angling towards your first mark and bringing it vertical as you push (gently!) 

Eye it up again, if it's still off, try again. 

You should find that you can move that first point around in the plastic until its in the right place (or your pincushion falls apart!)

Once it's central you can use  a bit more force to deepen it, do this gently and check as you go.

If it does look like its going to look like a pincushion and you're not going to get it centred, just fill and sand and it should be back to where you started, or, as Troy says, go AM

Hi Dave,

That's brilliant, thank you! I've not tried re-centring the drill as you suggest, which might well be why I've never really been successful in this. So simple when you think about it.

With yours, Troy's and Alex's encouragement, I'm really rather looking forward to giving it a try out!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

and I'll be seeing what techniques I can pinch, if that's okay?

Fine by me old chum,all of my online WIPs have been in the group build department,probably the easiest way to find any of them is through the topics option in my profile,but only if you're morbidly curious and want to see what rough and ready really looks like.Adrian's works are well worth a look and knock my puny efforts into a cocked hat.

• Like 1

What an interesting and informative thread this is turning out to be! One slight criticism if I may though, not enough Hurricanes being built. Surely you've a few more in the stash you could be getting on with Mark? 

Craig. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

What an interesting and informative thread this is turning out to be! One slight criticism if I may though, not enough Hurricanes being built. Surely you've a few more in the stash you could be getting on with Mark? 

Craig. 

Hi Craig,

Glad you approve! :) we've got a lot of great input from the most knowledgeable and able of our BM community, for which I'm incredibly grateful.

I'm afraid you have a point, though - there's not much building going on at the moment! What with one thing and another, I've not managed any time at the bench this weekend, either :(

Bu-u-u-t, I've definitely got some more Hurricanes in my stash. There's another Airfix Mk.I, and two Arma Mk.IIB/Cs plus three sets of overtrees. Oh, plus four more Airfix Mk.Is and two more Arma Mk Is on order :rofl2:

I really hope I'll have some progress to report soon.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm afraid you have a point, though - there's not much building going on at the moment! What with one thing and another, I've not managed any time at the bench this weekend, either

I'd like to make it absolutely clear that I was in no way complaining about the rate of progress (for I am in no position to cast any stones on that account), but was instead referring to the number of kits being built. Until you are working on at least one example of every mark of Hurricane built or planned (including the Hillson FH.40), your insatiable audience will not be satisfied!

🙂

Craig.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

but was instead referring to the number of kits being built

Lol :D I also need to finish the Spitfire VC, the Tomahawk IIB, the Zero, and the P-51D..... :unsure:

24 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Until you are working on at least one example of every mark of Hurricane built or planned (including the Hillson FH.40), your insatiable audience will not be satisfied!

Eeek! I think I've got my work cut out there.....although.....the Napier Dagger-engined proposal has an interesting air about it ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Bu-u-u-t, I've definitely got some more Hurricanes in my stash. There's another Airfix Mk.I, and two Arma Mk.IIB/Cs plus three sets of overtrees. Oh, plus four more Airfix Mk.Is and two more Arma Mk Is on order :rofl2:

I really hope I'll have some progress to report soon.....

In my modelling world, that IS progress....

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2021 at 22:30, ModelingEdmontonian said:

Hi ME,

Many apologies for not having posted this sooner - only two-and-a-half days later than promised!

So these are the MicroMesh items I've got. First, the square pads:

http://IMG-20210503-182922074.jpg

And secondly the cloths:

http://IMG-20210503-183030008.jpg

- as supplied, the sheets are all the same size, I've just cut a piece off of the bottom sheet!

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4