Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

37 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

I didn't realise that they had revised the canopy on the Arma kits, they are very nice, but I like the Airfix kits and can live with the horizontal glazing bars. 

Keep up the good work 

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, I think the original mould broke, and the new one is supposed to be finer, giving a thinner moulding.

So far, the Airfix kit looks really nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

Didn’t you say earlier on in this thread that you’d picked up a few extra canopies for the Arma kits? I’d use one of them with the Airfix offering if I were you. Would solve a lot of problems. 

Don’t worry about the build proliferation. You’re building them in the same forum thread so it doesn’t count and besides we’re all enjoying it too much for you to stop!

Craig. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Hi Mark,

Didn’t you say earlier on in this thread that you’d picked up a few extra canopies for the Arma kits? I’d use one of them with the Airfix offering if I were you. Would solve a lot of problems. 

Don’t worry about the build proliferation. You’re building them in the same forum thread so it doesn’t count and besides we’re all enjoying it too much for you to stop!

Craig. 

Hi Craig,

I think the Arma option for replacing the Airfix canopy is a good one as the Arma mouldings are very nice. I did get some extras, but I can't remember now whether it was just enough for the Mk.IIb over-trees, or extra extras, if you get my meaning :) I'll have to check, but its no great hardship to have to order some more and you never know what else might fall into the shopping cart at the same time ;) 

Thanks for you kind words, too! My chief worry, if it can even be called that, is that mixing them all together gets a bit confusing. Perhaps if I more clearly "head" the posts according to which build is being updated, it won't become like so much spaghetti :D 

Glad to hear you're enjoying following my meagre efforts: sometimes I wonder if I'm just posting so much drivel, but being part of the BM community is good fun and I really enjoy reading about everyone else's builds, the trials and tribulations, sharing experiences and getting to know everyone, too!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 4

Had to share this mummified Hurricane! Lol!

http://IMG-3605.jpg

This is the Arma Mk.I, masked to paint the windscreen frames and then dust in the primer where I've (hopefully.....) blended in the windscreen transparency. Its had a coat of rattle can Tamiya Clear which, with a bit of luck, will stop the paint bleeding under the Eduard masks. I guess we'll see how well that works out in due course :) 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Sounds like a plan.

If not there's always a toothpick chisel. 😱

Cheers,

Alistair

Would a bamboo skewer work as well? Probably not. Mental note: get some toothpicks/cocktail sticks! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark 

I'm with Alistair on the toothpicks,  I use them all the time , not only as glue applicators and to scrape off excess paintwork when I paint canopy framing as they don't tend to scratch the glazing. Although it will also possibly drag of the clear coat too?

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Arma Mk.I Hurricane today, so far I've painted the windscreen framing (who got the US Interior Green out by mistake and wondered why it didn't match the rest of the cockpit?) and polished it back with MicroMesh where it meets the fuselage, painted the bulb indentations on the formation and landing lights, and fitted the lights. I used Krystal Kleer for that, and I've a feeling it may have been a mistake. Advice, please?

On the Arma Mk.IIc, I've cut out the wingtips for the formation lights, done a bit more tidying where the windscreen framing meets the fuselage and masked windscreen. Next thing is to do a general mask and spray a sealing coat of clear over the windscreen.

On the Airfix Mk.I, I've assembled the wheel bay components, using the upper wing to ensure it all fitted together. There were a couple of tiny gaps between the parts, and I've Mr Dissolved Puttied the outsides of those areas to seal them up.

I've also sanded the Mr D P on the panels aft of the gun access panels.

Thanks for dropping by, and any comments or suggestions are welcome as always.

Going to have a spell of sitting in the garden now!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That works for me. It's what I use and haven't had any issues. 

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, that's great - I was just a bit concerned that, being PVA, it might not be strong enough and the light covers would be knocked off due to my general cack-handedness!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Maybe she's a KitCat?

She's definitely Taking a Break.

55 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

it might not be strong enough

I've been slightly more careful around bits like that but there's no-one more accident prone than me and I haven't knocked one off yet. :fight:

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

She's definitely Taking a Break.

:D certainly not a Hurricat!

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I've been slightly more careful around bits like that but there's no-one more accident prone than me and I haven't knocked one off yet. :fight:

Sound! Happy with that :)

I'm  tentatively pleased with how the landing lights are looking, the wingtip navigation lights will need a bit more fettling, I think. I'm masking up for a dust of primer around the windscreen, so maybe pics tomorrow - I feel like the Arma Mk.I is edging closer to it's coat of black :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

That is one contented cat! Daisy has very similar markings (and a similar attitude to life) as my own modelling nemesis Rollo. Maybe there's a special breed of modelling cat?

50891531131_a106f3a69c_c.jpg

Remember to check Daisy for any small parts that may have attached themselves to her when she eventually deigns to move.  Ask me how I know to do this...

Craig.

• Haha 3

Hi Craig,

Yes, Daisy is quite contented, most of the time anyway! Luckily, when she has her "mad half hour" it's usually upstairs, and it sounds like a herd of elephants charging around :D

I'd say Rollo has got the measure of modelling - he's found the most comfortable spot from which to view proceedings! :) I think you're right, though - modelling cats seem to be a separate sub-species. For the most part, Daisy is content to sit and watch, occasionally she'll try to snaffle a small part - propeller spinners are the current favourite, or some sandpaper or screwed up masking tape.

Having said that, the separate lower fuselage section of the Airfix Mk.I must be tasty, as that had a thorough licking. Either that or I hadn't washed it properly :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Farley said:

Hi Mark,

Hurricans are both coming along great, interesting thread too, with lots of helpful hints for me to pinch  ! !

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your kind words, although I think you'll find just as many hints on how not to do things :D

All-in-all, though, I'm quite pleased with how they're coming along, even though it's slow progress! Should have another small update later.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

This is the look I got the last time I switched the compressor on.

pnDNhsu.jpg

Thankfully he's not a modelling cat, more of a Lego one.

If there's a pile of Lego on the floor sorted into colours for building he will park himself over the top of everything.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Haha 2