Mark's Workbench: 1/72 Arma Hobby Hawker Hurricane Re-boot

Hello Mark,

Waow ! Another multibuild Hurricane thread !!

Having a workbench is sorely missing for me but, I have to do with what is at hand...

I'll tag along if you don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

55 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

@2996 Victor

Mark, the drawers under the paint stands are designed for the Tamiya 10ml bottles, The main paints I use are Tamiya, with some Humbrol, Revell, Vallejo (Model Air & Metallics) and K-Colour metals. I only keep the Tamiya out to hand as these are the ones that are used the most.

Here's the link:

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_64&product_id=59

Thanks for the link, @treker_ed, I'll have another look at EMBA's site and see what might suit best - I'm looking to get some Mission Models acrylics for some planned Japanese types.

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Mark,

Waow ! Another multibuild Hurricane thread !!

Having a workbench is sorely missing for me but, I have to do with what is at hand...

I'll tag along if you don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC,

welcome aboard :) glad to have you along! Any thoughts or suggestions from you would be gratefully received!

I can't deny that I've been inspired by @CedB's builds, which are looking pretty darned splendid!

These Hurricanes are a bit addictive, though, and Arma's Mk.IIb kit will be winging it's way to me soon accompanied by some overtrees!

I'm pleased with my table storage system which has helped clear a good deal of space - I was feeling quite overwhelmed by the clutter, so can recommend something similar. Hope you manage to get a workbench, or corner of a table, soon!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks for the link, @treker_ed, I'll have another look at EMBA's site and see what might suit best - I'm looking to get some Mission Models acrylics for some planned Japanese types.

Kind regards,

Mark

Morning Mark,

We don't have any units specifically designed for Mission Models paints, however, they fit the Alclad/MRP drawers pretty well - 

IMG_20200923_085042 IMG_20200923_085034

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_64&product_id=58

As for the Arma Hobby Hurricanes I've been sucked into another five by the overtrees and replacement canopies.

Cheers

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Morning Mark,

We don't have any units specifically designed for Mission Models paints, however, they fit the Alclad/MRP drawers pretty well - 

IMG_20200923_085042 IMG_20200923_085034

https://www.ebmahobby.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_64&product_id=58

As for the Arma Hobby Hurricanes I've been sucked into another five by the overtrees and replacement canopies.

Cheers

Hi Andy,

many thanks for this and the link, too - looks like I'll be paying your website another visit soon! :) And as for those Hurricanes, they're really quite addictive!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

On 22/09/2020 at 10:50, 2996 Victor said:

those joint scrapers

Is it considered bad form to quote your own posts? If it is, then I can only apologise :)

Anyway, the "joint scraper" I alluded to previously is this fella and while I was at it, I was suckered in by this gismo, too - I hope that they'll prove useful! Oh, and I have no connection with the online store either, other than as a customer (and hopefully a satisfied customer at that!).

Not sure I'll be getting much modelling done for the next week or so, but never say "never"!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 2

Happy Birthday Mark! 🎂

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Is it considered bad form to quote your own posts?

Nope, IMHO :) 

Oooh tools! I like my Citadel scraper - one of those tools that seems 'to 'know' what it's supposed to do.

I also liked the box that flashed up when I went to leave the Citadel site, quoting the old 'if you leave me now' song - funny :D 

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Happy Birthday Mark! 🎂

Many thanks, Ced! I've decided that I'm not counting this year as it's been such a non-event, so I'll be staying 50 for another twelve months! :D

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

one of those tools that seems 'to 'know' what it's supposed to do

Good to know! I liked the look of the cutters, too - there's nothing more aggravating than snapping a part while cutting off the sprue!

12 minutes ago, CedB said:

I also liked the box that flashed up when I went to leave the Citadel site, quoting the old 'if you leave me now' song - funny :D 

Lol :D the Goblin Gaming site wasn't quite as funny, I'm sorry to say!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Lol :D the Goblin Gaming site wasn't quite as funny, I'm sorry to say!

Ah, my bad, it was that site! I didn't get the message the second time I visited (to check) but, just now, it popped up so I grabbed it:

50383818286_5524d5d282.jpg

I'm sure the guys won't mind a bit of extra publicity and it's nice to see a bit of humour :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CedB said:

Ah, my bad, it was that site! I didn't get the message the second time I visited (to check) but, just now, it popped up so I grabbed it:

50383818286_5524d5d282.jpg

I'm sure the guys won't mind a bit of extra publicity and it's nice to see a bit of humour :D 

Genius! I didn't get to see that, presumably because I was checking out with the mould line remover and cutters. Now I'm going to have to revisit their site especially! :D

• Like 1

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon fitting the wing assemblies to the fuselage assemblies, and as luck would have it I actually managed to join the correct wing to the correct fuselage! No mythical Mk.Ic, nor a Mk.IIa for me!!!

Dismal phone camera pic:

http://IMG-20200926-183035443.jpg

Who's that lurking in the background? It's Tomahawk FS2 getting a new lease of life! There'll be some nonsense on my other W/B thread sometime soon!

So, as far as the Hurris are concerned, I had a few issues with the wing to fuselage fit on both. Bizarrely, IMHO, I'd say it's because the moulding tolerances are too good! A good deal of gentle filing and trial fitting was involved, and I'm still not convinced I've achieved the best possible wing root joints.

There's a little filler needed where, embarrassingly, I've slightly over sanded. This is mainly on the Mk.I, where I had a particular problem with the port side wing root. Something to note here, fellow Arma Hurriphiles, if you have a similar problem, carefully pare away the small rectangular locating blocks adjacent to the rudder pedals and hopefully all will be well!

Better photos to follow once the empennage is fitted and they've had a coat of Stynylrez (yes, @CedB, I've finally got some!).

Cheers, m'dears!

• Like 5

Just found this thread Mark. I'm a bit of a Hurricane fan, having built the (newish) tool Airfix a year or so back. I must say the Arma kit looks the biz, and I really like the internals you have crafted so far.

Will follow with interest!

Terry

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Just found this thread Mark. I'm a bit of a Hurricane fan, having built the (newish) tool Airfix a year or so back. I must say the Arma kit looks the biz, and I really like the internals you have crafted so far.

Will follow with interest!

Terry

Hi Terry,

Welcome along!

The Arma kits are really excellently designed and manufactured, the detail is superb and the parts fit is almost perfect - almost too good!

I can highly recommend these kits!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Happy belated birthday Mark.  Hurries look good and I see Ced is being a bad influence on you with his tool obsession,  ooo er.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks! It's been such a rotten year I'm staying 50 for another twelve months!

I was admiring Ced's workbench and EBMA storage so that I felt compelled to follow suit, the tool obsession (fnaar!) does seem to be having an influence as well :D

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Many thanks! It's been such a rotten year I'm staying 50 for another twelve months!

Bugger, I wish I did that I'm 51 now, I could reverse it and be 15 again,  my daughter says I'm like a 12 Yr old, because I am always up to something and leaping out making them jump.  I can't help it,  they make it so easy!!!

You are on a slippery slope of tool addiction !!! Fnarrr Fnarrr 

Chris

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Bugger, I wish I did that I'm 51 now, I could reverse it and be 15 again,  my daughter says I'm like a 12 Yr old, because I am always up to something and leaping out making them jump.  I can't help it,  they make it so easy!!!

You are on a slippery slope of tool addiction !!! Fnarrr Fnarrr 

Chris

Chris,

you could always start counting down again 😉 and children of any age are fair game for surprises! 🙂

I'm a bit concerned about the tool addiction, but I've always been told you need the right tool for the right job (fnaar)!

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2996 Victor changed the title to Mark's Workbench: the Bulldog Breed! Hawker Hurricanes
4 hours ago, opus999 said:

I personally don't know much about Arma kits, but this looks nicely detailed.  The cockpit is beautiful!  Nice Job!

I may be wrong, but is that a Badger airbrush I see in your drawer? 

Thanks, @opus999,

The Arma kits are really good, you could almost say too good as a coat of paint makes the parts fit a bit tight so you need a bit of care in assembly but from a good viewpoint!

The level of detail is excellent out of the box, and although I've added Eduard etched cockpit sidewalls etc, I'm not really sure they're needed.

I'd certainly recommend these kits!

And you're quite right, it is a Badger airbrush: an old single action model (200 or 250, I forget which!) that I bought 30-odd years ago, and which had lain unused for over 25 until earlier this year. It's working a treat, so I'm very pleased, but I'm a bit tempted by a new double-actin one!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Well, as its a nice morning, I've taken a few pics of my progress on my various projects. Not much has happened on the Hurricane front - all that I've done is spray some Stynylrez primer onto the wing fuselage joints to help highlight where I need to do any work. Happily, it doesn't look like much is needed, just a tiny bit of filler on the Mk.I starboard side, and a smidgeon of careful sanding on both the Mk.I and Mk.IIc.

Mk.I:

http://IMG-2937.jpg

http://IMG-2935.jpg

Mk.IIc:

http://IMG-2938.jpg

http://IMG-2936.jpg

I also need to check that the cockpit siderails are okay with no gaps between the Arma mouldings and the Eduard etched inserts. Hopefully this weekend will see a bit more progress.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

a coat of paint makes the parts fit a bit tight

Hmm... not unlike some Eduard kit's I've done 🤔 Well the Arma kits look really nice!

18 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

And you're quite right, it is a Badger airbrush: an old single action model (200 or 250, I forget which!) that I bought 30-odd years ago, and which had lain unused for over 25 until earlier this year. It's working a treat, so I'm very pleased, but I'm a bit tempted by a new double-actin one!

My first airbrush that my dad and I used was a Badger 150 that looks almost exactly like that.  We struggled to get it to work right, but frankly it was our own fault because we didn't know much about how to thin paint properly. We gave up on it and a couple years later started anew with an Aztek that we both really loved.  He brought the Badger over to my house about a year ago, and I thought about giving it a try, but it's been sitting unused for probably 30 years, so I figured it would probably need an overhaul.  i've got an Iwata HP-C double action, gravity fed Airbrush that was reasonably priced and I love to death. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, opus999 said:

Hmm... not unlike some Eduard kit's I've done 🤔 Well the Arma kits look really nice!

My first airbrush that my dad and I used was a Badger 150 that looks almost exactly like that.  We struggled to get it to work right, but frankly it was our own fault because we didn't know much about how to thin paint properly. We gave up on it and a couple years later started anew with an Aztek that we both really loved.  He brought the Badger over to my house about a year ago, and I thought about giving it a try, but it's been sitting unused for probably 30 years, so I figured it would probably need an overhaul.  i've got an Iwata HP-C double action, gravity fed Airbrush that was reasonably priced and I love to death. 

The Arma kits are really good! I'd highly recommend them!

I'm quite tempted by a new Badger Patriot 105, it's got good reviews and isn't monstrously expensive! Barwell UK Airbrush Supplies have got them in a deal with a small compressor that I'm thinking of getting.

I do need a compressor as I'm using the propellant cans at the moment - okay as a stop-gap and for interiors, but I'm going to need something more controllable for exterior finishes!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1