Hasegawa 1/72 Tornado GR1 Desert Storm

rafalbert

Hi guys,

I am in with this old girl which I picked up off ebay in 2004, so it is definitely time she was built! It came with a Kitbits resin nose and an Eduard zoom set so hopefully they will add something. I have an Xtradecals Gulf War set (which I forgot to add to the pic) so it will be pink, but I haven't decided which one yet. I will also be delayed starting as work is ramping up for a few weeks and I still need to finish my Bf110 for the BoB GB.

Dave

IMG_20200904_111124

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have finally made a start. The cockpit is done but I have found the fit to terrible, even with a lot of fettling (no doubt due to my poor skills). I have given up and accepted that there will be a gap that I have to fill. The front fuselage halves have just been dry fitted in the photo below and I have hacked off the nose on one side do you can see where the resin one will join. I have also decided to use the Airwaves wings I was saving for an F3 which required reshaping due to being curved like bananas!

IMG_20200929_133237

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a delay partly due work and partly due to the fact that the Kitbits nose is rather poor and does not fit at all. I went to plan B and bought an Air Graphics nose which fits well and definitely looks the part (see below). I have to say that I am not impressed with the kit so far as everything has required a lot of fettling to get even an ok fit. I admit, a lot of that is probably due to my ham-fistedness, but my limited experience with Hasegawa kits has not endeared me to them.

IMG_20201015_113612

• Like 3

I made this one when it came out and had no fit problems whatsoever - which was entirely typical of Hasegawa kits of this period.  Unlike most other companies of this vintage (Tamiya excepted).  Obviously no company has ever produced kits without some flaws/problems, but Hasegawa kits generally fit very well.  So I'd recommend not getting too generic from one bad experience.  I shall avoid suggesting some really bad-fitting kits...

• Like 1

It is only the fourth Hase kit I have built; the Jaguar and Panther went together well, the SU27 (Revell rebox) less so. The chances are that my meagre skills have not helped, but I shall soldier on. I have several in the stash, not least of which is the classic F-14 kit which I am looking forward to building in that GB next year.

• Like 1

I have attached the nose section to the main body, resulting in a gap between the two at the top (as in the photos). The rest of the joint is good, so it will require a bit of filler to sort things out. The Airwaves wings add some detail and look better than the kit ones (which are too skinny apparently). The next job will be sorting out the shape of the top of the tail.

IMG_20201019_210809

• Like 7

Starting to look like a Tornado now, it is amazing what a difference that massive tail makes. I had read that the tail was too squared off and confirmed it when compared to the Revell kit (I should have posted a photo). Anyway, I have reprofiled it so hopefully it looks better. As there are no wing gloves in the kit, I have attempted to try to create some with PPP; we will see how effective this is when I come to paint it.

IMG_20201022_223034

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For some reason I got it into my head that this GB finished today so I have been panicking re finishing. It is a hell of a relief to discover that we still have 2 weeks! Anyway, the decals are on and she has been given a flat coat (satin for the radome) prior to painting the metallic bits. I am hopeless at weathering so will be kept to a minimum.

IMG_20201205_142911

• Like 4

Guys, I must confess, my modelling mojo has disappeared at the moment. My friend and deputy died on Friday, 6 weeks after being diagnosed with lymphoma. The weekend and last few days have basically been taken up with phonecalls to the other members of my team and organising support for them, and getting the work admin machine in motion. The head of the unit has spoken to his family who are obviously in pieces, I am giving them some time and space before I speak to them.

I will try to finish this off but it probably won't be pretty.

• Sad 3