Millennium Falcon

Visiting Australia last year I happened to walk into a toy shop in Brisbane and found they were selling the Bandai Star Wars kits. I treated myself to a Star Destroyer and the Millennium Falcon, the latter for the princely sum of AU$29.99:

falcon1.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

As a palate cleanser between more involved  builds, I decided to have a go at it today. It's a pretty simple snap together kit:

falcon2.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I'm always impressed with Bandai's mouldings. They may be expensive, but there's no flash anywhere and the fit is no less than perfect. Consulting with a knowledgeable party (cheers Rich) about colours, I decided that the kit was already moulded in the appropriate colour, so I decided to go full retro in this build and do it without painting it, and even use the stickers! 🙂 I applied a grey home made pastel wash to the bare plastic, and it took perfectly:

falcon3.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The amount of detail on this kit is amazing- the whole spacecraft is less than four inches long in this scale:

falcon4.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Stickers next...

More when it happens,

Dean

• Like 8

Well, the stickers were a bust. Too big for the panels, thick, not very sticky and quite pixelated. I painted the panels in hull red, sky grey and desert yellow with a tiny brush and much holding of breath. Also, the cockpit windows and the view windows top and bottom centre were painted.

falcon5.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Weathering next...

Dean

• Like 8

Don't worry Stephen W, brown streaks were always part of the process. I spent the midnight hour last night applying dilapidation to the craft, and kept it pretty subtle. I had to play with the contrast on these photos to make it visible. To the naked eye, it looks ok without being overpowering on such a small model. Here's a few closeups:

falcon7.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

falcon8.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

falcon9.JPG

The main model snapped together perfectly in seconds last night, so all I've got to do is paint the gun barrels on the laser turrets and snap them on, and it's finished. Nice quick build, this... 🙂 

Finished photos soon,

Dean

• Like 2