Italeri 1/48 UH-34D US Marines

diases

Hi Guys, thought I'd split my time between Gun Truck and this Beasty

RATu0w4.jpg

Kit comes with the markings for US marines UH-34D, HMM-364, S/n 148762. Unfortunately, the aircraft was shot down near Tam Ky on 3rd December 1965

i14FhSz.jpg

MtflXDz.jpg

A few selected Sprue shots

o0o243l.jpg

Moulded detail looks nice

Jt83O6X.jpg

FqW6EdD.jpg

Looks Like multiple Landing gear choice, although I need to check Instructions

9TYAM42.jpg

Nice PE Detail

XlnJlKl.jpg

Even the Blades have a moulded in Sag. As a Ex Wessex Liney it looks about right. 

5LImZih.jpg

Looking Forward to this as it's first aircraft model since late 80's.

Let battle commence

Cheers 

Paul

• Like 6

welcome along Paul, with what is becoming a popular choice!

This one should go nicely with the 1/72nd and 1/100th versions we have in the build.

This does look to be a nicely detailed model and I do like the the PE extras.

Good luck with the build and welcome back to aviation modelling. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great to see another H-34 in the GB, you can never have too many for my liking.

The kit does look very nice and the addition of the etch fret is a nice touch, I have an earlier boxing of this kit in the stash but can't remember if it had the etch or not.

The USMC option does look very smart and they are an iconic aircraft from the early part of the US involvement in Vietnam.

Looking forward to watching this one come together Paul.

Hi there.

Well, the model is started.

JLeo4Zu.jpg

Cockpit area, no main instrument panel yet, as it's attached to the engine firewall.

lklerUh.jpg

Main cabin, not alot to say really,

Apart from the seats. The lower portion legs are to short, and quite a poor representation.

So I've butc.. modified them to be in the stowed position. I'm thinking of putting a small load in the rear of the cabin.

The access to the tail boom (I spent to long inside that black hole when I worked on Wessex), needs something. I'll try scratching a net to fill it.

mYXoqmf.jpg

So this is the main internals built. As you can see the pilots are really high up compared to the cabin (made them easy targets).

Enjoying so far.

Next are the fuselage sides, 

cheers for looking

Paul

• Like 5

Been working away at this.

7CuDrnF.jpg

Fuselage has been closed up. Nice and easy really with no fit problems. I particularly like that the cabin floor is really flush with door sill, as doors gonna be fully open.

I Left the cabin seats in stowed position, and placed a pile of building materials (can just see them), onto cabin floor. Couple of ropes securing them and its done.

Now the awkward bit.

5IjcGPV.jpg

hCw1y04.jpg

The nose is made up separately, and to be honest is not too bad. Instrument panel is decal behind PE and does the job. There's two left sides of the nose, so you can make different exhaust positions, which is nice.

The PE grills are a good fit But DON'T bend the large one as per instructions. 

As the whole grill bends around the nose its easier to carefully place one end and glue it stages around the nose. It's a good fit and will give a better finish than I achieved.

Then we come to Fitting the assembled nose to Fuselage.

It's really Tight and took a couple of attempts to secure. I think I have it now, and will see later today how its gone.

jT6l44h.jpg

The undercarriage has the option to have bent leg or tripod set up.

I believe that the version I'm doing had Tripod gear, So that's what I had used.

I will remove the locating boss for the bent leg gear(by Forward bottom Strut), and Fill.

That It for the moment.

But more later, when I'll hopefully have Underside armour fitted(another one to ignore the instructions, as Its multiple angles/bends). and plenty of small exterior details to add.

cheers for looking

Paul

• Like 6

Done a bit more.

As the weather was nice and the wife had cut the grass, just had to try a few shots outside.

ggWW2Ap.jpg

BEeKQOU.jpg

JAva6Tu.jpg

lPbsDtL.jpg

As you can see, Vietnam has a massive problem with enormous dogs wandering around.

Need to work on smoothing the nose area a bit more, and theres still another armour plate to fit on the nose.

A few more bits (steps, aerials, etc) and basic body will be complete, and I've already made a start on the rotors.

It's all hand painted, as I have zero skills with airbrush ATM. I think AC modelling will force my abilities.

On a side note, picked up the 1/48 eduard Mig-21 today, But dont know what to build next, after finishing Gun Truck.

Choices are:    1/32  ZM Skyraider      OR   1/32 Kittyhawk Bronco (with Big Ed set),     OR   1/48 Mig-21

I think Bronco would be nice, but would probably miss deadline,  so not really certain.

Cheers for looking

Paul 

• Like 4

Bit of Update on this.

Construction is complete, well, apart from a M60 for the main door.

WNEtgjI.jpg

nWEAUzs.jpg

s1Kv8bp.jpg

Everything was straight forward, lots of small bits and pieces, and extra PE armour on nose.

Painted in Tamiya Olive Green (XF-58) as it's a bit lighter than Olive drab, 

Tried clear coating (50/50 mix of Tamiya clear/Thinners), Brushed on. Never normally do this, and Think I need to get airbrushing for a more refined result.

Got many Decals to place, and then weathering.

Wish Me Luck

Paul

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot has been done recently.

Started the horror of Decals (remember why I like Tanks now)

DtZ6uBt.jpg

But Its progressing. only messed a couple up so far, and they were not majorly important ones.

A lot more to go, and then some weathering.

Been working on the Gun Truck as well, and should have a update tonight about that.

Cheers for Looking

Paul

• Like 3