Manx Air Charter Dragon Rapides

fjaweijfopi4j48

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo I am looking forward to another DH89 Moa. I loved your builds particularly of this type.  I have recently purchased a few 72nd DH89 kits and a kit I have wanted for a long time the Aeroclub 48th kit so will love to tag along.

Chris 

The new kit is on its way, Chris, from nearby Rare-Plane Detectives in Palm Desert. Let's hope that the record high temperatures don't turn at my doorstep an undifferentiated mass of plastic.

The build will have its place in the limelight as time permits between the current Ford trimotor and Fokker F.32 (still waiting for the decals on the two DH60's and Vultee V-1).

But eager to start again a model that I have built so many times, and still keeps its charm and magic for me.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moa said:

The new kit is on its way, Chris, from nearby Rare-Plane Detectives in Palm Desert. Let's hope that the record high temperatures don't turn at my doorstep an undifferentiated mass of plastic.

The build will have its place in the limelight as time permits between the current Ford trimotor and Fokker F.32 (still waiting for the decals on the two DH60's and Vultee V-1).

But eager to start again a model that I have built so many times, and still keeps its charm and magic for me.

Cheers

Excellent, fingers crossed it arrives in good shape Moa.  I was wondering what had happened with the DH60 models.   Crikey, I will have completed mine at this rate before your decals arrive!!! No probably not,  although it is coming on.  

Can't wait to see the DH89 on the go.

Chris

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bootneck said:

Yes, the Freighter was a car carrier.  

Most of Silver City's Bristol Freighters throughout the British Isles were used in passenger configuration and known as Wayfarers. There was no scheduled car carrying service to the Isle of Man but the Freighters were in regular use here and according to those who flew in them, were very noisy. Bristol Superfreighters were used on occasion for bringing large loads and vehicles.

• Like 1

Now then, a place after my own heart is the Island. Dad's grandparents come over to Whitehaven (Cumberland as was!) from Ramsey in the 1800's and as I sit here in the study typing this rubbish, I can see the sun setting over the Island, it is only 36 miles away after all. Lived there for two years in the sixties and commuted via Blackpool two or three times a year, in BUA Dart Heralds.

I can remember my mother and good friend flying there for holidays in the late fifties in a Rapide and later in a Wayfarer from (former RAF) Silloth. I did the same trip early sixties in a British United DC3 from Carlisle (Crosby) airport, so there's a good few aircraft varieties for a group build. Maybe Ivor can throw some light on these flights.

Moa, I have found an article from, I think, Scale Models magazine dated October 80, which include a comprehensive G.A.G. Cox drawing of G-AKNY owned by Air Couriers Ltd. This shows the seating layout together with photos of the instrument panel/cockpit and the passenger seating. If they are of use then send me a PM and I will scan and send them on to you. Probably copyright issues if they are put up on BM, but thats not likely as I don't have a photo hosting site anyway!

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Mull said:

Moa, I have found an article from, I think, Scale Models magazine dated October 80, which include a comprehensive G.A.G. Cox drawing of G-AKNY owned by Air Couriers Ltd. This shows the seating layout together with photos of the instrument panel/cockpit and the passenger seating. If they are of use then send me a PM and I will scan and send them on to you. Probably copyright issues if they are put up on BM, but thats not likely as I don't have a photo hosting site anyway!

Dave

Fantastic, Dave! Much appreciated.

Sending PM

Cheers

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's going to rain then....

Hide contents

Cumbrian weather forecasting - 

If you can't see the Isle of Man, it's raining

If you can see the Isle of Man, it's going to rain.....

I think that works in reverse for Manx forecasting too - I vaguely remember my Manx grandfather telling me if you can see Cumbria it's going to rain!

• Like 1

Now then, a place after my own heart is the Island. Dad's grandparents come over to Whitehaven (Cumberland as was!) from Ramsey in the 1800's and as I sit here in the study typing this rubbish, I can see the sun setting over the Island, it is only 36 miles away after all. Lived there for two years in the sixties and commuted via Blackpool two or three times a year, in BUA Dart Heralds.

I can remember my mother and good friend flying there for holidays in the late fifties in a Rapide and later in a Wayfarer from (former RAF) Silloth. I did the same trip early sixties in a British United DC3 from Carlisle (Crosby) airport, so there's a good few aircraft varieties for a group build. Maybe Ivor can throw some light on these flights.

Dave

Sorry chaps for reposting my original comments, trying to convert from Windows on a Dell to an Imac, which has a will of it's own!

No Dave, it hasn't yet and nice to know our brethren on the Island has an about face version for the same weather!

To you who don't know what we are talking about, it's an old West Cumbrian saying that goes something like this 'If you can see the Isle Of Man it's going to rain, if you can't see it, it's raining'.  Just change Isle of Man for Cumbria and you have the Manx version!

Dave

• Like 1

Moving back to the topic but missing by a few decades, I've just been designing some 80s-era Manx Airlines decals. I needed to get some white custom decals printed and wanted to fill an A4 sheet so drew some up for various builds, and since I was being nostalgic for the IOM drew a few up for the Twin Otter (G-BEJP) and one of the F-27s. I remember my grandparents arriving at Manchester for Christmas in the Twin Otter - they didn't have good things to say about it! Back then anyone could walk most of the way through the terminal, right up to the windows looking out onto the tarmac, and I remember seeing them get out of the Twin Otter that night.

I flew in the F-27s a few times - there were (I think) two of them, G-IOMA and G-OMAN - including as an unaccompanied minor, aged about 9. Best seat in the house was a window seat towards the back on the right, so you could see the undercarriage retracting and also get a good view of the Manx coast on final approach, including the exciting bit (to me at that age and, let's face it, now as well) where you cross the rocky coastline not far before the threshold. 

There's a lot that's awesome about arriving at Ronaldsway but the best thing is the complete contrast from wherever you took off. You go from all the hassles of getting to the airport, getting through security and seemingly endless treks through a busy airport, to arriving at Ronaldsway, a short walk to collect your bag which you only have to wait a couple of minutes for (and can probably see it being unloaded from the plane), then a friendly welcome at the car hire counter (I was even shown to the car last time), and before you know it you're on the road driving on quiet roads through beautiful countryside - and compared to the experience on the mainland (or 'across' as I should call it) it's all very quick - once when my flight arrived early I was already on the road to Douglas by my scheduled arrival time. It's instantly relaxing. Possibly the biggest thing I miss, living on the other side of the world.

Anyway I'll probably build G-BEJP in the KUTA group build in a couple of months. Not sure when I'll get to G-OMAN - maybe we really should get a Manx group build going.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

There's a lot that's awesome about arriving at Ronaldsway.... etc etc 

I reckon our tourism department should be giving you a job! They need all the help they can get.

Regarding a Manx group build or any individual who wants to build any aircraft associated with the IOM, we've got a lot of photos including wartime stuff which I'll gladly share.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

They need all the help they can get

We'd better keep quiet about the whole if you can see Cumbria it's going to rain thing then! As someone once said to me regarding the Manx weather, "how'd you think it got to be so green?".

• Like 1

Thanks all for the postings.

When I am ready to start the build I will be opening a new thread as a WiP in the corresponding section and posting the link here.

Feel free to keep posting, those of you interested in these matters as general or particular topics.

Especial thanks to Ivor for all his help!

Hope one day we can visit, retracing the steps of my in-laws. It seems to be a very nice place, with very nice people, and surely a most welcoming Museum!

Cheers

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ivor.

Found this very interesting subject post while I was looking for information on the possibility of building the 4 engine DH Rapide (DH86)?, many years ago I had built the Heller DH89 Dragon Rapide.  However, I do not think that any company has attempted this version.  I spent my early years in Wigan, just across the water from you, and remember both the 2 and 4 engined  Rapides flying over the house, I think that they operated a sightseeing service from Ainsdale Beach near Southport.  Unfortunately, I departed Lancashire in late 1960 when I was conscripted into the RAF to do my National Service, interestingly, I visited the island in mid 1962 for a holiday, one that I will never forget.  I traveled from London to Liverpool by train, then by boat to Douglas, unfortunately this was the crossing from Hell, and so the first thing that I did on arrival was go to Ronaldsway Airport and book an airline ticket to return to Speke the following weekend.  The other thing that I remembered was that it was there that I met my future wife who was also there on holiday.  However, I will continue my quest for a model of the elusive 4 engined Rapide.  Interestingly, Jersey has issued stamps showing both the 2 and 4 engined versions.

• Like 1

Robin,

Aircraft in Miniature produced a lovely 1/72 vacform and resin kit of the DH86 in the late 90s with 1930s Railway Air Services decals. RAS flew to the IOM at that time. It's long out of production but they do reissue some of their older stuff from time to time.

The Isle of Man Post Office has produced several sets of aircraft stamps. In 1984 they did a stamp with a DH86 of Blackpool & West Coast Air Services. I don't think they ever did a DH89 but the folder in which one of the sets of stamps was enclosed had a nice painting of a DH89 of RAS on its cover. Try a google image search for Isle of Man stamps and aviation and I'm sure you'll find them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 4:52 AM, Ivor Ramsden said:

They used one DH89 Dragon Rapide G-AEMH and four DH89As G-AJGV "Glen Helen", G-AKGY "Glen Maye", G-AKIF "Glen Wyllin" which is still airworthy and G-AKSE "Glen Mona". The names are those of glens in the Isle of Man. Your postcard shows G-AJGV and G-AKGY.

Hi Ivor and all

A new photo emerged of the actual plane they flew (I am glad I did not start this one yet, also because it seems the Photoetched set for this one may be re-released under other brand):

Unfortunately the photo found is very small, and very grainy, but I am inclined to believe that this is GY, and not GV, in closer inspection, as I think I can make the leg of the Y (or...your thoughts?):

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

On 9/5/2020 at 4:32 PM, rob Lyttle said:

I think we have the best part of a Manx Group Build here. 

If you'll briefly pardon yet another well-meaning punter barging in...with yet another enthusiastic Manx project in the offing...I submit my own humble home-made colors for the elderly Matchbox/Revell Twotter, representing an aircraft leased from Loganair between 1983-1985.

spacer.png

I look forward to immensely enjoying another of Moa's splendid projects taking shape. Back to you, Sir.

• Like 3